Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevemotox
Paper Tape
Views: 262
Message 1 of 4

Ear speaker not working in moto x 2014

Hi, my Moto X (Android version 5.1; System version 222.31.9.ghost_sprint.Sprint.engine.US sprint) ear speaker stopped working.  I can only communicate on calls with speaker phone.  I've powered off and on several times and have tried rebooting in Recovery Mode but cannot replicate the "Moto symbol and exclamation point" screen that is supposed to appear.  As a result, my phone powers up normally so I haven't been able to complete the steps as shown on the Lenovo support site.

It's frustrating.  Can anyone assist me?

Thanks.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 215
Message 2 of 4

Re: Ear speaker not working in moto x 2014

Hi stevemotox,

I understand your sentiment. We are ready to assist here. Are you trying to do a factory data reset on your device? There are two way to do it. Please check this link for instructions: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/indevice_detail/a_id/101072/p/30,6720,9197

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

stevemotox
Paper Tape
Views: 209
Message 3 of 4

Hi JM,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm trying to determine if my problem (Moto X ear speaker not working) is a software, app or hardware issue.  Here's what I've done so far after reading numerous forums:

1) I was able to check Phone-Settings-Calls-and Hearing Aid box is unchecked.

2) I cleared Cache Partition several times.

3) I've rebooted in Safe Mode several times.

When in speaker phone mode the external speaker works but the microphone is distorted (I called my home answering machine and recorded). When in regular mode, no sound comes from earpiece but microphone is less distorted.

I'd prefer not doing a factory reset.  Does the ear speaker also double as a microphone?  Does it sound like the ear speaker needs to be replaced?

Thanks,

Highlighted
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 193
Message 4 of 4

Looks like you are right. It appears like the ear speakers is starting to fail, which means it needs to be repaired/replaced. 

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.