Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto X PhonesMOTO X™ 1st Gen
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

02-12-2014

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 7

Phone stuck on startup M screen, Can't turn off

2015-05-15, 15:08 PM

Hello,

My Moto X is currently sitting with its screen on and on the M screen after rebooting.  This morning it was behaving normal, then after a meeting I went and tried to unlock the phone to view an incoming message.  It would not allow me to leave the lock screen after several attempts.  I then had to manually reboot by holding the power button and it has since not done its full restart cycle.  It will boot up until the Blue M globe scene and stay there (currently it has been 20 minutes).

I have tried to get into bootloader, but nothing works.  It just keeps getting back to the Blue M screen while loading up and it stops.

EDIT: Phone has died, currently on the recharging screen.  Will boot into bootloader an start in safemode after clearing cache...  Hopefully that resolves problem.

Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Views: 2684
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Phone stuck on startup M screen, Can't turn off

2015-05-15, 15:12 PM

Did you add any apps recently?

Do you have auto update enabled in Google Play?

To be clear (for all of us), I think you describe doing a soft reset.

A Hard Reset reverts a phone to its original settings and a clean OS (Operating System) removing all data and information added to the cell phone by the mobile phone user. In essence a Hard Reset erases everything from the phone and puts the phone back to like new condition as though it’s brand new right out of the box.

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Options

532 Posts

12-01-2013

United States

115 Signins

858 Page Views

• Views: 858
  • Message 3 of 7

2015-05-15, 15:18 PM

Have u tried clearing the cache from recovery? If that doesn't work, try a factory reset from recovery (that would wipe all your data).

Options

7 Posts

02-12-2014

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2015-05-15, 15:29 PM

eaccents said:

A Hard Reset reverts a phone to its original settings and a clean OS (Operating System) removing all data and information added to the cell phone by the mobile phone user. In essence a Hard Reset erases everything from the phone and puts the phone back to like new condition as though it’s brand new right out of the box.

View original

I haven't added any new apps in a few days...  And yes, it was just a reboot by holding the power button, sorry! 

I cant get into the recovery as the phone wont actually power down, if I hold the power button it just starts itself back up...  

Currently I figure on letting it run itself out of battery and then just seeing what happens after.  Hopefully at that point it might allow me to get into the bootloader.

My devices is also non-rooted or unlocked, just basic stock Moto X

Options

532 Posts

12-01-2013

United States

115 Signins

858 Page Views

• Views: 858
  • Message 5 of 7

2015-05-15, 16:50 PM

dldsm7 said:

eaccents said:

View original

I haven't added any new apps in a few days...  And yes, it was just a reboot by holding the power button, sorry! 

I cant get into the recovery as the phone wont actually power down, if I hold the power button it just starts itself back up...  

Currently I figure on letting it run itself out of battery and then just seeing what happens after.  Hopefully at that point it might allow me to get into the bootloader.

My devices is also non-rooted or unlocked, just basic stock Moto X

View original

Hold the power + vol down buttons to get into the bootloader screen. Then scroll down to Recovery using the vol down button and select it with the vol up button. Then, when u see the dead andy screen, hold the vol up button for 10-15 seconds then quickly tap and release the power button.

Options

15438 Posts

02-04-2016

United States of America

260 Signins

3971 Page Views

• Views: 3971
  • Message 6 of 7

2015-05-16, 2:20 AM

If the phone is stuck on and you cannot turn it off, I suggest that you hold the Power button and volume - (down) button down simultaneously for about 10 seconds. When you see the screen go black, immediately let go of both buttons and then push the volume down button. If you do this quick enough you should be able to get into the bootloader. 

From there you will be able to get into the recovery to do a data wipe (factory data reset). Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Options

1 Posts

07-17-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

Re:Phone stuck on startup M screen, Can't turn off

2020-07-17, 2:12 AM

i had the same problem, i got to the bootloader and i selected the one you specified to, but it just was a dark blue screen. it wont do anything else. do you know what to do here? my device has been like this for the past few months and im by now desperate to fix it

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms