Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guy8
What's DOS?
Views: 16,524
Message 1 of 6

"Phonebook Update Failed" Bluetooth

Just got a new Moto X on Verizon running 4.4.2 and bluetooth connection and functions all work fine EXCEPT the Chevy Mylink system in my 2014 Chevy tells me "phonebook update failed" every time I get in the car.  All other Bluetooth features/functions work fine.  Thoughts, ideas?  I have had 2 other phones, a Droid X2 and a Droid Bionic both work flawlessly (including phonebook/contacts) but not the new Moto X, so is it a known issue maybe with Android 4.4.2?  Workarounds?  I've already unpaired and re-paired the phone & car multiple times.

AC1997
Paper Tape
Message 2 of 6

Re: "Phonebook Update Failed" Bluetooth

I am not a Chevy MyLink expert, but do know that when connecting to some vehicle BT systems (Chrylser, Honda, etc.) there is a popup message on the phone asking if you want to sync Contacts, Phone Book, etc.  They do not stay on the screen for long and if you miss the popup, that's the only chance to sync that data.  Did you ever see any popups on your phone asking if you want to sync Contacts, etc?  Or, maybe the Chevy system does not work that way?

Guy8
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 6

@AC1997, that's a good thought, thanks, but yes, I did get that quick pop-up on the smartphone saying the car wanted to access my contacts and of course I selected yes.  However, during the un-pairing and re-pairing, I vaguely remember NOT seeing that pop-up, and I seem to recall getting 2 of them, one to access the contacts and one to access the text messages.  Did not happen again during my troubleshooting.  So... thanks, maybe it'll take multiple attempts, but I'm going to try out the un-pairing and re-pairing a few times and pay more attention to the popups for access permission. 

Guy8
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 6

Still not working, I un-paired and re-paired and did get the permissions pop-up to allow call history, text messages, and contacts.  After allowing it, a few seconds later, the Chevy MyLink display shows options for call logs, texts, phone book.  Then a few seconds later, it tells me phonebook update failed.  I can then access my call logs and texts nut phone book is empty.

Really frustrating to have to listen to the phonebook update failed message every time I get in the car.  Even more frustrating that a simple phonebook access works flawlessly on other phones running older code!  If anyone has other thoughts or workaround please share.

Donnatb
What's DOS?
Views: 7,087
Message 5 of 6

I’m having this exact issue with my Buick Verano.  Has anyone come up with a solution ??

Highlighted
hellothere2020
What's DOS?
Views: 169
Message 6 of 6

Go to bluetooth on phone

Select name of thing you are wanting to connect to (ie. headphones, camaro, stereo etc)

tap the information option next to it (on iphone its the blue with the circle around it)

then turn on "sync to contacts"

done