Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peralta
What's DOS?
Views: 2,060
Message 1 of 11

GPS Problem em Moto X With VIVO Carrier

A week ago, programs that use Assisted GPS on my Motorola XT1097 with Lollipop 5.1 do not work properly even when in high-precision mode ... Be the Waze, Google Maps, Here or Strava. In all of them the pointer is frozen and from time to time he jumps up to other cities or locations.

I've done reset to factory settings for the device menu, and also did the Hard Reset, and in neither case the issue is resolved.

The problem can be seen occurring in this video I made capturing my screen: https://youtu.be/CXkJUN8G83k

After reading in some websites that might be problem of triangulation between GPS and my mobile network, I contacted my mobile operator VIVO and MOTOROLA ... Obviously, one is blaming the other in case ... Vivo says this is problem on the device, and Motorola says this is Android's fault provided by Vivo for my device.

Anyway ... I tested 2 MotoX 5.1 devices, 1 MotoE 4.3 Device and 2 MotoG 5.1 devices.

In all I tested two chips VIVO, and at all when in high-precision mode (required to use Waze and Maps), the GPS popcorn on the screen when moving.

By using chips from operators Tim and Claro in these same devices, the problem disappears and works perfectly navigation.

CONCLUSION: There is a problem in Android to address the triangulation between the GPS satellite with VIVO carrier's towers in my area.

I do not know if the rest of Brazil others who use the VIVO are with this problem.

For the sake of conscience, I tested the same VIVO chips on an iPhone, and GPS worked perfectly!

So there is some error VIVO provisioning protocol that is not being compatible with the Android provisioning protocol in Moto line.

Motorola happily accepted open a protocol with this incident, but Vivo unfortunately did not open protocol and also did not take it to be a problem in your mobile network.

Someone else can help here with this post?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 11

Re: GPS Problem em Moto X With VIVO Carrier

This sounds like it is entirely a VIVO issue.  

So there is some error VIVO provisioning protocol that is not being compatible with the Android provisioning protocol in Moto line.

Motorola happily accepted open a protocol with this incident, but Vivo unfortunately did not open protocol and also did not take it to be a problem in your mobile network.

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Peralta
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 11

Finally today in a phone contact that did, Motorola recognized that there is a serious problem in the line of A-GPS Moto X2 and some Moto G 2nd Generation.

WHAT THE DEPARTMENT OF ENGINEERING MOTOROLA SAY?

There is a problem still unsolved in GPS hardware assembly X2 + Android 5.1 + 4G Torres Frequency some operators.

And for this reason every "so many meters" driven, the GPS lock and return, ie they are the times when we are exchanging signal tower mobile network because as some know, A-GPS is a protocol that combines GPS satellite signals with the cellular network radio towers to increase the accuracy of positioning. For you to understand better: when you select on their devices the HIGH ACCURACY GPS mode, you are actually activating this protocol called A-GPS. And as these navigation applications require the high precision mode, there is no escaping this problem is still occurring without explainable causes, since it began to occur from nothing, not after any system update. And therein lies the question of Motorola.

SOLUTION?

According to the Department of Motorola engineering, they are already working on it but there is still no solution. Still, guided me the workaround until a fix out, it is to configure the Moto X2 to use only the 3G or 2G network in the moments we want to use navigation applications because the big problem is the incompatibility and generated interference between the frequency of the Brazilian 4G with the frequency in the chip that manages the GPS in Moto X2.

HOW WE USERS WE?

So guys, I was very well attended by Level 1 that gave me happily to Level 2 of Engineering. And the coach Level 2 treated me very well asking me every last detail. I said it would send five days in an email to me giving me more technical reports on the progress of the solution. Even asked me to send email via the video I'm posting below and also other comments from guys who complained of the problem in my previous post. That is, there is a broad interest in Motorola in resolving this issue.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 11

Peralta said:

Finally today in a phone contact that did, Motorola recognized that there is a serious problem in the line of A-GPS Moto X2 and some Moto G 2nd Generation.

WHAT THE DEPARTMENT OF ENGINEERING MOTOROLA SAY?

There is a problem still unsolved in GPS hardware assembly X2 + Android 5.1 + 4G Torres Frequency some operators.

And for this reason every "so many meters" driven, the GPS lock and return, ie they are the times when we are exchanging signal tower mobile network because as some know, A-GPS is a protocol that combines GPS satellite signals with the cellular network radio towers to increase the accuracy of positioning. For you to understand better: when you select on their devices the HIGH ACCURACY GPS mode, you are actually activating this protocol called A-GPS. And as these navigation applications require the high precision mode, there is no escaping this problem is still occurring without explainable causes, since it began to occur from nothing, not after any system update. And therein lies the question of Motorola.

SOLUTION?

According to the Department of Motorola engineering, they are already working on it but there is still no solution. Still, guided me the workaround until a fix out, it is to configure the Moto X2 to use only the 3G or 2G network in the moments we want to use navigation applications because the big problem is the incompatibility and generated interference between the frequency of the Brazilian 4G with the frequency in the chip that manages the GPS in Moto X2.

HOW WE USERS WE?

So guys, I was very well attended by Level 1 that gave me happily to Level 2 of Engineering. And the coach Level 2 treated me very well asking me every last detail. I said it would send five days in an email to me giving me more technical reports on the progress of the solution. Even asked me to send email via the video I'm posting below and also other comments from guys who complained of the problem in my previous post. That is, there is a broad interest in Motorola in resolving this issue.

View original

Very glad your issue is being addressed, and thank you for bringing this issue to everyone's attention.

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
rconde
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 11

Hi Marcelo,

I have written a comment in your youtube video reporting the same problem as you in another devices "non-motorola".

Regards.

Highlighted
marcelors
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 11

Dear Peralta,

I've been facing the same disturbing issue you report here. It started around two or three months ago and by watching your video, I found we live at the same region - Porto Alegre and the surroundings.

After a friend who owns an HTC smartphone told me he has the same trouble, I concluded that this should refer to VIVO carrier (only) - particularly because the GPS service is back when one switches the network to a 2G coverage. I called Vivo and opened a request. As one should expect, the person who answered to the calling had no idea on what could be happening. Result was only a protocol number.

Your report made me believe however that appeal to Motorola would be the best option. Did you receive any update regarding this [inconvinient] issue?

CarlosJin
Paper Tape
Views: 1,896
Message 7 of 11

I have the same problem with a Moto X Force bought and used with VIVO carrier, It stoped a month ago, and now it is back again, really annoying...

VIVO said it is a problem of Motorola and Anatel, but I bought the smartphone from them, so they're guilty to sell a incompatible phone... I'm really tired of all this, and I dont't know if I will ever buy a Motorola phone again.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,874
Message 8 of 11

personally i had a similar problem a few years ago, when I was inside a building My phone thought i was several hundred miles away from my actual location. As soon as I went outside it was correct again, but every time I went inside my phone thought I was in Illinois instead of Pennsylvania. This was completely a carrier issue, not a phone issue because I saw the same thing happening on phones from HTC, Samsung, and LG. but only on phones using the Verizon Network

*the search bar is your friend*
-This is a peer to peer support forum, MOTOXPRTs are volunteers, not Motorola employees
guilhermemt
What's DOS?
Views: 1,761
Message 9 of 11

I had the same problem with 2 Motorola´s cell phones : Moto X Play and Moto G 2nd. My carrier is Tim. Both phones work well in Brasilia, where I live. They don´t have 4G sim card activated, only 3G.

Last week, when I traveled to Porto Alegre, the GPS function stopped to work. The only way that I found to use GPS funcion was turn off the sim card after tracing the route that I need on google maps.

This happened in other cities of Rio Grande do Sul state too: Gramado and Bento Gonçalves,

bisnaguete
What's DOS?
Views: 1,338
Message 10 of 11

I'm having the same problem but I'm in Santa Catarina, Florianópolis and my carrier is TIM. 4G works well here but when I enter some region that switches to 3G, the GPS signal starts to fail instantly. I realized it playing pokemon go. When it's on 4G, the map updates in real time, but when it's on 3G, the position only updates every 20 seconds and sometimes it stays off for more than a minute, just awful. My phone is a Moto X2º. I aways thought it was a natural interference between 3G and GPS networks, but what else could it be, then?