Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jphurley82
What's DOS?
Views: 270
Message 1 of 4

MOTO X 2nd Gen Warranty Claim?/Batt/Screen Combo

Hey there,

I bought my MOTO X 2nd Gen about 8 months ago and have been really happy until the last couple of months.

The battery life seems to be getting very poor after only this short time.  The last several weeks in fact, it often gets to about 15-20% and then dies.  Sometimes, when I put it on the charger, it says that it still has some juice, other times, it says that it is at 0 or 1%.  

I should have been proactive when I first noticed, but instead I've just been putting up with it.

And then I did something stupid.  

My phone case became cracked and loose, so I removed it with the intention of replacing it.  Of course, you know what happened next.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket last night to find that a hairline fracture had shown up from the top left to the middle right of the screen lens.  Just the lens, not the LCD.

NOW.... as we all know, the hairline fracture and battery issues are entirely unrelated, but I'm afraid that the presence of the fracture will kill my warranty claim ability.

I'd like to pay the $25 for an expedited claim and get a new custom phone shipped.  Of course, Moto will put a $500 hold on my card, and I'm okay with this.

My fear is that if I process a claim like this and Moto says my phone was not under warranty, will they just get to keep my $500 for the new phone they shipped me, or will they charge me the $175 fee for the repair and let me keep the new phone?

I called support, but the "professional" from India was not very helpful and kind of dodgy.  But it could have been because she wasn't fully understanding me...

What do you guys think of my options?  I've tried recalibrating, etc., but the problem with the battery persists.  I'd rather have my phone replaced as I just dropped $500 on it 9 months ago...

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 4

Re: MOTO X 2nd Gen Warranty Claim?/Batt/Screen Combo

The cracked screen will trump any warranty claim. If you had documented past communication with Motorola showing an unresolved problem, you may have something to discuss but it would be at Motorola's discretion. 

If you send your phone in for a battery issue and the screen is cracked, you will get your phone back and be on the hook for the one they cross ship. 

Believe it or not, people do break their phones, and try to claim they had a problem before they ever dropped it. 

I don't know if they would fix your phone and send it back with the cracked screen or not. I can ask. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
MotoAgent
MotoAgent
Message 3 of 4

Due to the fracture in your screen, there is a physical damage fee of $125 +tax.  The $500+tax is only an auth hold ( if you wish to process a Secured Advance Exchange) once your original device has been returned and your RMA is closed, this auth hold will drop.  The only way you are charged this $500 fee, if your original device is not returned.   Please make sure that you indicate that screen issue when processing the exchange.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 4

Thanks KariMoto for clarifying. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum