Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JAKE_PLUARD
Paper Tape
Views: 3,301
Message 1 of 8

Moto x 2nd gen black screen

OK so i have an at&t moto x 2nd gen X1097 that I've hade for over a year with absolutely no problems.  Until yesterday I went to use it and the screen was just black.  I didn't drop it, update anything, whatsoever.  The phone is on, and does respond to voice commands and everything seems to work.  It is even responding to my touches because I conducted a few tests to see what was working and i can open apps and stuff but i have no display. I tried rebooting it by holding the power and volume buttons down and It did nothing, No boot up animation or anything, just black.  any suggestions>?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,201
Message 2 of 8

Re: Moto x 2nd gen black screen

@JAKE_PLUARD wrote:

OK so i have an at&t moto x 2nd gen X1097 that I've hade for over a year with absolutely no problems.  Until yesterday I went to use it and the screen was just black.  I didn't drop it, update anything, whatsoever.  The phone is on, and does respond to voice commands and everything seems to work.  It is even responding to my touches because I conducted a few tests to see what was working and i can open apps and stuff but i have no display. I tried rebooting it by holding the power and volume buttons down and It did nothing, No boot up animation or anything, just black.  any suggestions>?

Does this help?

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/101073/p/30,6720,919...

Force reboot for this model device is done by holding the power button (only) for up to 20 seconds.

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
JAKE_PLUARD
Paper Tape
Views: 3,198
Message 3 of 8

I have tried that and it didn't work.  I have a screen mirroring app that lets me use the phone on my computer which is how I know the touch screen still works and responds to touches.  A friend of mine suggested that maybe the lcd just got knocked loose.  I don't know if that's possible because if that did get knocked loose somehow would the touch screen still work?  I've done everything short of a factory reset and I've been reluctant to do so because I would lose the ability to use the phone at all like i am now with the screen mirroring and voice commands. So at this point it I can send it to motorola and get it exchanged for $125 which is hardly worth it considering what you can get for $125 nowadays.  Or I can have my friend open it up to see if something has simply been knocked loose which seems like a long shot and if he does that I don't know if motorola will be willing to exchanbge it.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,196
Message 4 of 8

@JAKE_PLUARD wrote:

I have tried that and it didn't work.  I have a screen mirroring app that lets me use the phone on my computer which is how I know the touch screen still works and responds to touches.  A friend of mine suggested that maybe the lcd just got knocked loose.  I don't know if that's possible because if that did get knocked loose somehow would the touch screen still work?  I've done everything short of a factory reset and I've been reluctant to do so because I would lose the ability to use the phone at all like i am now with the screen mirroring and voice commands. So at this point it I can send it to motorola and get it exchanged for $125 which is hardly worth it considering what you can get for $125 nowadays.  Or I can have my friend open it up to see if something has simply been knocked loose which seems like a long shot and if he does that I don't know if motorola will be willing to exchanbge it.

I can definitely see your reasoning (logical).

The only thing I can say in this case is that Motorola will NOT exchange it if your friend tampers with it in any way.

You many want to research whether the digitizer and the screen are one and the same or different components.  For some model phones, the two are fused together....

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
RevLauren
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,189
Message 5 of 8

@JAKE_PLUARD wrote:

Ditto on what eaccents said about DIY.Motorola won't deal with it if you start tinkering.

I've replaced screens, but it's a tedious process and there are many opportunities to break other parts. On the X2, it is possible to replace just the glass (see You Tube), BUT the LCD and digitizer are sold as an assembly that is fused together. So even if your digitizer appears to still be working, but the LCD is not, then both are replaced. Most suppliers I checked charge upwards of $100 for the part and if you don't have all the correct Torx tools etc, it's a challenge. Here is an example:

http://www.repairsuniverse.com/motorola-moto-x-2-lcd-touch-screen-digitizer-assembly-black.html

I personally would probably not choose to spend $125 on a phone of that 'vintage', but having Motorola fix it for $125 is actually a pretty good deal when you consider what it would cost to do it yourself -- with all the inherent risks. Still, there are some devices out there in the $200 range that have pretty good specs.

stewart73
SCSI Port
Views: 2,999
Message 6 of 8

I haven't been able to use my Moto xt 1095 for year and half now die to same reason. They wanted $$500 when this first happened to me. I just decided to finally buy a Moto g4 in November. But it seems to me I still haven't used or had a phone that comes close to even comparing to my Moto x 2nd generation . Will Motorola fix my phone for $125. I remember now I had nought a Moto ultra and they decided not to update any further. Seems like everyone was pissed because we were lied to about the update. Like stuck with a phone. That would never be updated again. Idk. I wish they would replac my Moto x2
stewart73
JAKE_PLUARD
Paper Tape
Views: 2,477
Message 7 of 8

Update on the black screen issue.  I used my old back up phone, my always dependable Moto e for a while   Then a couple weeks ago I randomly checked online and found replacement LCD display and digitizer on eBay for only $47.99 with a money back guarantee if the part doesn't work. Down from $119 last time I checked. It also came with tools needed to do the job, and glue.   So I ordered it, it showed up and about a week in the mail. After watching a 15 minute how to video on YouTube I replaced the part myself, took me about an hour to do and I was pleasantly surprised when the phone turned on and everything was functioning perfectly normal. Still using the phone with no issues, I realized how much I really like my Moto X 2. They are great phones and totally was worth the $50 to fix it. I still like it better than any other phones I've used recently. 3 years old and still holds up pretty dang well with other phones on the market today even running Android 5.1.

Highlighted
stewart73
SCSI Port
Views: 69
Message 8 of 8

can you post a link  where you bougt the digitizer

stewart73