cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Mike7143
Paper Tape
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎10-30-2015
Location: India
Views: 3,191
Message 1 of 7

Vzw XT1060 DE Unlocked 5.1 Back to 4.4.4?

I'm not digging my 5.1 on my XT1060 Verizon Developer Edition. I got to 5.1 via Verizon "over the air" updates on a clean flash of 4.4.4 with no user data (skipped through setup to get to updates). Even so, stuff still doesn't seem to work quite right. I'd love to do a true clean install if Motorola would post the 5.1 recovery image... but I'm sure they're in no rush. There are files out on the net but I want official files.



In the meantime... can anyone tell me if I can roll back to 4.4.4 with the recovery image here until Motorola posts the 5.1 image files? I'm on 222.26.7.ghost_verizon.Verizn.en.us and my bootloader is version 30.BE. I'm already unlocked but I'm reading stuff on the net saying I'll brick the phone. I've also read that I can skip flashing GPT.bin and motoboot.img to get back on 4.4.4. but it wasn't on an XT1060 Verizon DE and then there's other posts saying this is "dangerous". I can't tell if it's being touted as "dangerous" because if you're not careful you could brick your device (i.e. you're not competent at reading directions, don't know what you're doing, and thousands of people from around the world visit these forums and speak various languages) or if it's "dangerous" because you truly could create a mismatch and brick the device...



Figured I'd come to the Motorola forum since I do have a true developer edition, am unlocked, and maybe I can be helped by people who know I'm not that incompetent!



Thanks,

Mike 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 27,143
Registered: ‎02-02-2016
Location: US
Views: 3,191
Message 2 of 7

Re: Vzw XT1060 DE Unlocked 5.1 Back to 4.4.4?

Moved to developer community.



I don't know all the particulars, but Motorola does not support downgrades at all - even with full images. 



There is danger and it is unrecoverable - except by way of sending your phone in for repair, and this may cost you money.



As I understand it, The danger seems to stem from downgrading and then taking OTA updates - OTA updates expect everything to be on a certain revision, and downgrading keeps some of the more recent stuff in certain areas (possibly bootloader).  People are asking for "Blank Flash" files to correct - and these are released from the chip manufacturer. 



I have no idea if the gen 1 X Is susceptible to this or not - but Motorola's official stance is to NOT downgrade ever. 


* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Mike7143
Paper Tape
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎10-30-2015
Location: India
Views: 3,191
Message 3 of 7

Re: Vzw XT1060 DE Unlocked 5.1 Back to 4.4.4?

I know I'm not going to get a solid answer on this then, but... assuming the XT1060 doesn't get another OTA, wouldn't I be at less risk of making it a brick assuming if I want to come back to 5.1 I would use the "hopefully" posted images and not take the OTAs?



I can't imagine the first generation Moto X getting any more updates, at least major. Perhaps bug fixes...

Mike7143
Paper Tape
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎10-30-2015
Location: India
Views: 2,975
Message 4 of 7

Re: Vzw XT1060 DE Unlocked 5.1 Back to 4.4.4?

So Motorola won't recommend/support downgrading... Has anyone more curious attempted to flash the 4.4.4 factory image over 5.1 to downgrade on the XT1060 that'd can comment on how it went?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 27,143
Registered: ‎02-02-2016
Location: US
Views: 2,970
Message 5 of 7

Re: Vzw XT1060 DE Unlocked 5.1 Back to 4.4.4?


@Mike7143 wrote:

So Motorola won't recommend/support downgrading... Has anyone more curious attempted to flash the 4.4.4 factory image over 5.1 to downgrade on the XT1060 that'd can comment on how it went?


Please don't ask about this here. Take it to another site - there are many that talk about things like this. 

 

There are some bricks, you can't recover from, and we can't facilitate that type of discussion. 

 

 


* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
0300
What's DOS?
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎05-20-2018
Location: PK
Views: 949
Message 6 of 7

Re: Vzw XT1060 DE Unlocked 5.1 Back to 4.4.4?


@Mike7143 wrote:

I'm not digging my 5.1 on my XT1060 Verizon Developer Edition. I got to 5.1 via Verizon "over the air" updates on a clean flash of 4.4.4 with no user data (skipped through setup to get to updates). Even so, stuff still doesn't seem to work quite right. I'd love to do a true clean install if Motorola would post the 5.1 recovery image... but I'm sure they're in no rush. There are files out on the net but I want official files.



In the meantime... can anyone tell me if I can roll back to 4.4.4 with the recovery image here until Motorola posts the 5.1 image files? I'm on 222.26.7.ghost_verizon.Verizn.en.us and my bootloader is version 30.BE. I'm already unlocked but I'm reading stuff on the net saying I'll brick the phone. I've also read that I can skip flashing GPT.bin and motoboot.img to get back on 4.4.4. but it wasn't on an XT1060 Verizon DE and then there's other posts saying this is "dangerous". I can't tell if it's being touted as "dangerous" because if you're not careful you could brick your device (i.e. you're not competent at reading directions, don't know what you're doing, and thousands of people from around the world visit these forums and speak various languages) or if it's "dangerous" because you truly could create a mismatch and brick the device...



Figured I'd come to the Motorola forum since I do have a true developer edition, am unlocked, and maybe I can be helped by people who know I'm not that incompetent!



Thanks,

Mike 


 

Highlighted
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 27,143
Registered: ‎02-02-2016
Location: US
Views: 941
Message 7 of 7

Re: Vzw XT1060 DE Unlocked 5.1 Back to 4.4.4?


@0300 wrote:

@Mike7143 wrote:

I'm not digging my 5.1 on my XT1060 Verizon Developer Edition. I got to 5.1 via Verizon "over the air" updates on a clean flash of 4.4.4 with no user data (skipped through setup to get to updates). Even so, stuff still doesn't seem to work quite right. I'd love to do a true clean install if Motorola would post the 5.1 recovery image... but I'm sure they're in no rush. There are files out on the net but I want official files.



In the meantime... can anyone tell me if I can roll back to 4.4.4 with the recovery image here until Motorola posts the 5.1 image files? I'm on 222.26.7.ghost_verizon.Verizn.en.us and my bootloader is version 30.BE. I'm already unlocked but I'm reading stuff on the net saying I'll brick the phone. I've also read that I can skip flashing GPT.bin and motoboot.img to get back on 4.4.4. but it wasn't on an XT1060 Verizon DE and then there's other posts saying this is "dangerous". I can't tell if it's being touted as "dangerous" because if you're not careful you could brick your device (i.e. you're not competent at reading directions, don't know what you're doing, and thousands of people from around the world visit these forums and speak various languages) or if it's "dangerous" because you truly could create a mismatch and brick the device...



Figured I'd come to the Motorola forum since I do have a true developer edition, am unlocked, and maybe I can be helped by people who know I'm not that incompetent!



Thanks,

Mike 


 


Motorola doesn't support downgrades at all. Personally I wouldn't chance it. 

 

Also, Verizon has an update assistant tool on their site that is supposed to do a full flash - not sure if it it will on that model, but may be worth a try. 


* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum