Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto X PhonesMOTO X™ 1st Gen
All Forum Topics
Options

343 Posts

03-20-2013

United States of America

6 Signins

109 Page Views

• Views: 109
  • Message 11 of 23

Re: Cost to make Moto X article

2013-08-29, 15:15 PM
And don't forget patent/royalty costs can be significant as well.

On a side note Verizon has a 30% off coupon for their 16gb model online saving almost 60 dollars on the on contract price of 199 (Not sure if you can take 30 percent off the off contract 599 price).
Options

65 Posts

05-26-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 12 of 23

2013-08-29, 15:56 PM
All costs associated with this phone whether it be salaries,benefits, R&D, patents etc are all justified, however with the rebrand of Moto the opportunity was missed as other devices are about the same price with better specs. Should of been a 350.00-400.00 phone to bring more people onboard to experience your product. I know when shopping around and I see that price it would make me say hmmmmm let's try this. I think this phone will do OK but a great opportunity was missed just to cover the bottom line. And let's not forget th things I mentioned earlier are business expenses which after losing 900 million I think you should change how people view your company
Options

343 Posts

03-20-2013

United States of America

6 Signins

109 Page Views

• Message 13 of 23

2013-08-29, 16:10 PM
many of the early reviews that dissed the new phones are quickly revisiting their opinion of the phones.   What blows many away is the speed,  performance,  responsiveness and battery life is better than almost every other phone.   One reviewer wrote that the only phone to even come close was the HTC One. 
Specs aren't everything (we had that discussion on the pre release Xbox phone thread). I've optimized code that made the end product light years ahead of the original. It's about the experience!
Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 14 of 23

2013-08-29, 16:56 PM

mrip said:

All costs associated with this phone whether it be salaries,benefits, R&D, patents etc are all justified, however with the rebrand of Moto the opportunity was missed as other devices are about the same price with better specs. Should of been a 350.00-400.00 phone to bring more people onboard to experience your product. I know when shopping around and I see that price it would make me say hmmmmm let's try this. I think this phone will do OK but a great opportunity was missed just to cover the bottom line. And let's not forget th things I mentioned earlier are business expenses which after losing 900 million I think you should change how people view your companyView original

Are you suggesting they should operate at a loss?  wink

I knew a car dealer once who consistently sold below his own cost to beat the competition.  He kept insisting that he would make it up in quantity right up until the day his business folded.  And that's a true story.

Also...and I have no facts here...but I'm guessing that the costs of developing and implementing the customized 8 core design were greater than just going with everybody else's off-the-shelf quad core processor.  Customization costs bucks.

Except for the dork at The Verge, no one is saying that Motorola missed the mark with its hardware.  That's what they said before they had a chance to play with the phone.  Now they're saying it's smooth, fast, and innovative.  Which is pretty much what we're hearing in the forum from new owners.  Are the hiccups?  Sure.  They'll get ironed out one way or another.

IMHO, the Qualcomm quad-core isn't better.  It's the same processor they're selling to everyone else for less, and will result in essentially the same operation across phones, with a few proprietary apps here and there to differentiate.

Google/Motorola took a risk.  I hope it pays off big-time.

Options

4366 Posts

09-08-2010

United States

2 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 15 of 23

2013-08-29, 17:03 PM

crystallet said:

mrip said:

All costs associated with this phone whether it be salaries,benefits, R&D, patents etc are all justified, however with the rebrand of Moto the opportunity was missed as other devices are about the same price with better specs. Should of been a 350.00-400.00 phone to bring more people on board to experience your product. I know when shopping around and I see that price it would make me say hmmmmm let's try this. I think this phone will do OK but a great opportunity was missed just to cover the bottom line. And let's not forget the things I mentioned earlier are business expenses which after losing 900 million I think you should change how people view your companyView original

I knew a car dealer once who consistently sold below his own cost to beat the competition.  He kept insisting that he would make it up in quantity right up until the day his business folded.  And that's a true story.

Also...and I have no facts here...but I'm guessing that the costs of developing and implementing the customized 8 core design were greater than just going with everybody else's off-the-shelf quad core processor.  Customization costs bucks.

Except for the dork at The Verge, no one is saying that Motorola missed the mark with its hardware.  That's what they said before they had a chance to play with the phone.  Now they're saying it's smooth, fast, and innovative.  Which is pretty much what we're hearing in the forum from new owners.  Are the hiccups?  Sure.  They'll get ironed out one way or another.

IMHO, the Qualcomm quad-core isn't better.  It's the same processor they're selling to everyone else for less, and will result in essentially the same operation across phones, with a few proprietary apps here and there to differentiate.

View original

Could you be more specific as to which dork at the Verge ... cheeky

They have so many dorks to choose from ...wink

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Message 16 of 23

2013-08-29, 17:14 PM

JBass said:

crystallet said:

mrip said:

All costs associated with this phone whether it be salaries,benefits, R&D, patents etc are all justified, however with the rebrand of Moto the opportunity was missed as other devices are about the same price with better specs. Should of been a 350.00-400.00 phone to bring more people on board to experience your product. I know when shopping around and I see that price it would make me say hmmmmm let's try this. I think this phone will do OK but a great opportunity was missed just to cover the bottom line. And let's not forget the things I mentioned earlier are business expenses which after losing 900 million I think you should change how people view your companyView original

View original

View original

I know!  It's wonderful!  No need for facts or specificity because even a wild pitch hits the mark!   laugh

Options

4366 Posts

09-08-2010

United States

2 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 17 of 23

2013-08-29, 18:07 PM

crystallet said:

JBass said:

crystallet said:

mrip said:

View original

View original

I know!  It's wonderful!  No need for facts or specificity because even a wild pitch hits the mark!   laugh

View original

Sadly, most of these tech sites are filled fanboys with little or no descernable talent.

This however, does not in anyway moderate or inform their opinions ...

Options

65 Posts

05-26-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 18 of 23

2013-08-29, 18:30 PM
The similarities between a car and a phone are so way off. Look at what Google did with android they gave it away for free and now make more money in advertising than all companies combined and then some. A chance to outsell Samsung and all the others is too good to pass up at a price that is reasonable
Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Message 19 of 23

2013-08-29, 19:08 PM

mrip said:

The similarities between a car and a phone are so way off. Look at what Google did with android they gave it away for free and now make more money in advertising than all companies combined and then some. A chance to outsell Samsung and all the others is too good to pass up at a price that is reasonableView original

With all due respect, I disagree.

The comparison was accurate, comparing products in a manufacturing environment, illustrating that the actual cost of manufacturing the product is only a piece of the monetary puzzle.  The process of pricing manufactured items sold at retail is pretty much the same whether you're making big items or small ones.  It's just the scale of the business that changes.

And, in a way, you kind of made my point when you said, "what Google did with android they gave it away for free and now make more money in advertising."  You may see those are two separate things, but they're not.  If you think back to Google search, their first product, they were floundering because they couldn't make money with a free product.  And then along came Eric Schmidt who figured out how to monetize it with advertising.  The product and the advertising are not two separate things.  Think of the advertising as delayed gratification:  sell now, get paid later.  It's exactly the way the Android OS works.  The fact that you don't pay for the OS software when you receive the files doesn't mean that it never gets paid for.  It gets paid for big time in app licensing fees, ads in free apps, developer account fees.  Their revenue on the OS isn't non-existent, it's merely delayed. If there were no revenue stream for Android, Google would slowly bleed to death, just as it would if it underpriced the new lineup.

You can delay payment for a product, but you can't sell it at a loss and expect to make a profit.  And especially at product launch time, you will do harm if you devalue a product by selling it too cheap.  

Options

343 Posts

03-20-2013

United States of America

6 Signins

109 Page Views

• Message 20 of 23

2013-08-29, 20:20 PM
Crystallet,

Or the case of two lawyers / accountants / cars / jewelry / doctors etc - one is cheap and one is expensive - which is better?

Perception is everything. Look at Apple.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms