Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto X PhonesMOTO X™ 1st Gen
All Forum Topics
Options

4825 Posts

03-15-2011

United States of America

19 Signins

269 Page Views

• Views: 269
  • Message 21 of 23

Re: Cost to make Moto X article

2013-08-29, 20:32 PM

Services (doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc) are a different ball-o-wax. Many times they have high prices to pay off student loans and cover insurance costs. Even the crappy ones charge a fortune.

cars, jewelry, and Apple stuff is priced based on manufacturing volume, acceptable margin, and market percieved value. Unlike XBox and PS4 however, that can be sold at close to or over a loss because they will make it up with platform licensing and subscriptions, the moto X is a one-time sale. 

Phones are very much like a car - they have no expectation of sustained or increased value with a very few limited exceptions (antiques and limited editions).

Jewelry on the other hand is often considered an investment.

Options

343 Posts

03-20-2013

United States of America

6 Signins

109 Page Views

• Views: 109
  • Message 22 of 23

2013-08-29, 20:50 PM
But one lawyer could actually be fantastic and have lower rates than some Ivy League grad.   Just because you pay more for a service/product is not a guarantee that it's premium. 
But if you're facing the death penalty most will opt for the more expensive lawyer because of the perception that more expensive = better. Just as many will choose a 5,000 watch that can't keep time as accurately and a 300 one.
And it's difficult to raise prices, but easy to discount - everybody loves a good deal. Marketing 101.
The point being that if the phones came out at 250 off contract most people would consider them inferior, when almost all the pundits are quickly understanding that these new Moto phones are world class. I wrote before launch that moto x was aimed squarely at iPhone users.
Hopefully the Verge will catch up.
Options

4825 Posts

03-15-2011

United States of America

19 Signins

269 Page Views

• Views: 269
  • Message 23 of 23

2013-08-29, 21:20 PM

iambc1 said:

The point being that if the phones came out at 250 off contract most people would consider them inferior, when almost all the pundits are quickly understanding that these new Moto phones are world class. I wrote before launch that moto x was aimed squarely at iPhone users.

Hopefully the Verge will catch up.

View original

Agree there - I see what you're saying.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms