Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto X PhonesMOTO X™ 1st Gen
All Forum Topics
Options

172 Posts

02-10-2010

Vancouver, BC, Canada

410 Signins

3291 Page Views

• Views: 3291
  • Message 11 of 28

Re: I think that Motorola just flipped us the bird...

2015-07-28, 23:33 PM
Zbreeze02, I think you're missing the point. There was already a ton of top-tier 5.5"+ phones to choose from, so for people that want a bigger screen, you were already rich with options.

But for those of us that picked the 2013 X because of its manageable size along with good specs, this is a big blow. Basically we're left with very little decent small Android devices, primarily the Z3 compact, but Sony want too much money for it relative to out X's.

To the folks that suggest an E or G, there are some big tradeoffs there. 1gb of RAM is not enough for power users running a handful of apps (Feedly, chrome, mail, twitter) in fact, 2gb is barely enough. There are others but that the main issue for me, along with a responsive fluid phone.
Options

26 Posts

05-02-2014

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 12 of 28

2015-07-28, 23:34 PM

zbreeze02 said:

Not all smart phone users have the eyes of a teenager.  My wife has a Nexus 6 and loves the size.  I plan on buying the Moto X 2015 Pure Edition this fall to replace my Moto X 2013. The 5.7 inch screen is just right.  So, you may think that Motorola flipped you the bird, but I think they did great by me. I welcome and appreciate the larger screen.

View original

Sir there are ophthalmic glasses for everyone who can't see properly, that don't justify the fact of bigger screens lose the concept of a phone. Even you can use a tablet with a sim card to make calls if you can't see a darn thing.

Options

560 Posts

12-11-2014

Italy, Mexico, USA

4 Signins

119 Page Views

• Views: 119
  • Message 13 of 28

2015-07-28, 23:40 PM

MotoDarkdroid said:

zbreeze02 said:

Not all smart phone users have the eyes of a teenager.  My wife has a Nexus 6 and loves the size.  I plan on buying the Moto X 2015 Pure Edition this fall to replace my Moto X 2013. The 5.7 inch screen is just right.  So, you may think that Motorola flipped you the bird, but I think they did great by me. I welcome and appreciate the larger screen.

View original

Sir there are ophthalmic glasses for everyone who can't see properly, that don't justify the fact of bigger screens lose the concept of a phone. Even you can use a tablet with a sim card to make calls if you can't see a darn thing.

View original

You made me smile:

However, it's personal choice, it's not just about eyes. I think that a display should be between 4 and 5 inches - Because I like it so. I have big hands but yet, I prefer a small phone. If I want a big screen, there are tablets, still... I'll buy the new Moto X 2015. 

I speak many languages, sorry if not even one sounds like genuine...
Options

380 Posts

08-17-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 14 of 28

2015-07-29, 0:04 AM

Mutnat said:

Zbreeze02, I think you're missing the point. There was already a ton of top-tier 5.5"+ phones to choose from, ........ View original

Yes, but how many of those 5.5" top tier phones have radios that work on all major USA carriers?  Certainly somewhat less than a ton.  The advantage of phones like the Nexus 6 is the customer can "give the finger to the carrier" and still take their phone with them (CDMA-GSM) and still have complete functions instead of having to buy a new phone or settle for reduced usability.

In the long run it comes down to personal preference; I like a phone with a larger screen.

Options

1941 Posts

08-11-2010

United States of America

863 Signins

14025 Page Views

• Views: 14025
  • Message 15 of 28

2015-07-29, 0:10 AM

Medion said:

.............Then I'm thinking that for people like you, they're aiming the Moto G? Perhaps the E? These phones more than accomplish your desired task, while meeting your size requirements.

Perhaps people like me, who want a one-handed flagship, are truly becoming the minority. I sincerely wish Moto the best with their approach, it's just not for me. I'll be keeping my 2013 X until I see a need to upgrade.

Perhaps you should consider this new LG Android phone http://tinyurl.com/oq86grm 

Options

380 Posts

08-17-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 16 of 28

2015-07-29, 0:13 AM

MotoDarkdroid said:

zbreeze02 said:

View original

View original

Thank you Dr. Phil for the advice.  I hope that when you reach my age there are younger people with equally great advice for you.  I like a larger screen.  You do not.  Simple as that.  My advice, "Don't buy a Moto X 2015.  There are other choices for you."  My "concept of a phone" is different than yours; there's room for both of us. 

Options

31 Posts

12-07-2014

United States

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 17 of 28

2015-07-29, 0:18 AM

A lot to respond to, so here goes:

Peachtree - in your response to myself and Yogem, you compare the size of the Moto X 2013 and the 3rd gen Moto G by comparing their screen sizes. A phone's overall size is more than just its screen, as bezels make a huge difference. Compare, for example, our Moto X to that of the iPhone 6. Both have 4.7" displays, but the iPhone is a much larger phone in comparison. Screen size isn't everything. That said, the Moto G is a large phone due to having massive bezels.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Motorola-Moto-X,Apple-iPhone-6,Motorola-Moto-G-2015/phones/7885,8346,9513

zbreeze02 - That's wonderful that you prefer a larger phone. I respect that. However, many people who bought the Moto X 2013 (a small phone) bought it because it's a small phone, and therefore, we expect future iterations of it to be a small phone. If Samsung suddenly decided that the Galaxy S6 next year was going to be a toaster instead of a smartphone, that would probably tick off the core audience of that product (but I'm sure toaster enthusiasts would be happy?). Bottom line is that there are MANY large phones out there, and FEW small phones out there. Having a product line that was originally a small phone defect to the larger phone segment further clutters that market segment, while further reducing this market segment.

In your next post, you ask how many larger phones support all carriers? Right now, two (Nexus 6, Moto X 2015). How many small phones support all carriers? Zero. Had the Moto X 2015 been a small phone, we'd have one of each. So I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here, but you're helping my case better than yours. And you reiterate that you prefer a large phone. Again, good for you. The Moto X 2013 is a small phone. Many of us owners of said device prefer a small phone. We're allowed to have that preference.

f38urry - That phone is nothing like the 2013 Moto X. Thanks for the troll post.

And back to zbreeze02 - You're once again going on about your preference. You once again tell us that there is choice. Let's go over that choice. 2015 flagship phones with 5.5" and greater displays? Countless. 2015 flagship phones with 4.7-5.0" displays? Precisely zero (unless you count the 2014 iPhone 6 and Z3 Compact, in which case, there are precisely two). So no, we don't have choice. Motorola just reduced our choice by one.

Options

172 Posts

02-10-2010

Vancouver, BC, Canada

410 Signins

3291 Page Views

• Views: 3291
  • Message 18 of 28

2015-07-29, 0:22 AM
Medion, wow, that! Those were the points I was trying to make but you nailed the explanation waaaay better! I concur 100% with that entire post.
Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 19 of 28

2015-07-29, 0:25 AM

MotoDarkdroid said:

zbreeze02 said:

View original

View original

Well, for the record, as you get older, your eyes lose the ability to focus, and the best glasses will only make things clear at a specific distance.  The solution, in that event, is making things bigger, but to do that comfortably, you need a screen large enough to show enough of what you're looking at so that you're not constantly moving the screen around.

Actually, I loved the size of the 2013 X, and complained about the size of the 2014 X.  But in the past year, I've come to appreciate the larger screen of the 2014 model, and find it still slips into a back pocket.  

The moral of the story for all of us I think, is that size really does matter, but not necessarily in the way we might think.  Sometimes, smaller really is better.   :-)

Options

682 Posts

07-12-2011

Germany

173 Signins

1560 Page Views

• Views: 1560
  • Message 20 of 28

2015-07-29, 5:54 AM

Medion said:

A lot to respond to, so here goes:

Peachtree - in your response to myself and Yogem, you compare the size of the Moto X 2013 and the 3rd gen Moto G by comparing their screen sizes. A phone's overall size is more than just its screen, as bezels make a huge difference. Compare, for example, our Moto X to that of the iPhone 6. Both have 4.7" displays, but the iPhone is a much larger phone in comparison. Screen size isn't everything. That said, the Moto G is a large phone due to having massive bezels.

View original

And there I was thinking that my nice short answer would be enough smiley

The Moto X 1. Gen. has a very small bezel. A phone that has a 0.3" larger screen size will already be bigger, irrespective of the size of its own bezel. To me, that is obvious to anyone who owns a 1. Gen. X. Please excuse my presumption.wink

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms