Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto X PhonesMOTO X™ 1st Gen
All Forum Topics
Options

89 Posts

01-30-2014

United States of America

4 Signins

86 Page Views

• Views: 86
  • Message 31 of 52

Re: Motorola Mobility Lenovo Acquisition

2014-01-30, 21:13 PM

As a long-time Thinkpad user (from the 90s even), I'm cautiously optimistic. I wasn't happy about Lenovo taking over the Thinkpad line, but aside from that keyboard, they seem to have done a reasonable job continuing the legacy of the Thinkpad. I don't see why Motorola would be any different.

Lenovo's past phone efforts, including the K900, have been quite respectable.

Having said that, I'm a little nervous about Lenovo continuing the "vanilla" Android experience we're getting on Moto phones as of late. Lenovo has a pretty poor record on software in Android devices, and software generally, so that could be a soft spot.

Options

170 Posts

12-06-2014

Vancouver

4 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 32 of 52

2014-01-30, 21:40 PM

It all depends on whether or not they will make the effort to fully understand the American market or if they think they already know what's best.  It's an ongoing battle in the company I work for, and we've been here for almost a century.  When we win, it's great. When we don't, sales go down. Again, though, the people of Motorola are still recovering from being shell-shocked, and a company is it's people.  Somebody needs to do a really great job at change management for this to work.

Time will tell.

View original

Yeah I think its true that time will tell.  But its also true that Lenovo does understand the US market pretty well.  They bought IBM's Thinkpad brand and hardware division some years back and have done very well.  They are putting out solid business products.  And recently IBM just offloaded their entire X86 server business to Lenovo.  I'd rather a Lenovo than a Dell any day.  So just maybe.....

Options

277 Posts

09-18-2013

11 Signins

261 Page Views

• Message 33 of 52

2014-01-30, 23:21 PM

Very sadden by this news to. I have no ideal how much Lenovo might change stuff, or if the Moto X is already reached an end as to say no Moto X 2.Even if developement was already started for an Moto X 2 before this happened doesnt mean it cant be scrapped by Lenovo.

I  am not sure if I what will be my next phone in the next year now. I have no confidence what Lenovo is saying about keeping Motorola Mobility here in the US will actually be what happens. Actually no one does unless you are an executive with Lenovo. I do think most times companies  that are sold comes changes. Changes can be both good or bad depending on your point of view.

.I guess time will tell the truth about where Motorola goes from here. I know I  dont like the looks of the Lenovo phones I seen on other android websites talking about this very buy out. I read reviews on one of Lenovo phones and saw it had quite a few bloatware  apps on it.

Options

1270 Posts

11-15-2013

United States of America

440 Signins

4527 Page Views

• Views: 4527
  • Message 34 of 52

2014-01-31, 1:37 AM

Let's clear up some things: Motorola's fast updates weren't because of Google ownership. All Android hardware partners get early access to new versions of Android before it hits AOSP. The fast updates are because Motorola is running very close to AOSP, so Motorola had a KitKat build for the Moto X at the same time Google had builds for the other Nexus devices. So, they don't have to recompile binaries and libraries and JARs and APKs for a UI skin. This takes a few extra weeks, which is why Samsung is just now rolling out KitKat for certain Note 3s. But, they received it at the same time as Motorola and others.

And next, you guys put American corporations on a pedestal when it's not warranted. Take off the rose-tinted glasses and see the American corporations who outsourced jobs to India and China and the others (banks) who nearly tanked the WORLD economy. We're just as dirty.

Options

181 Posts

12-13-2008

United States of America

329 Signins

2407 Page Views

• Views: 2407
  • Message 35 of 52

2014-01-31, 14:52 PM

Too soon to tell but Lenovo seems committed to being a leader in whichever market they enter. Their acquisition of IBM's Think laptop unit turned out well as they continue to bring innovative, well-built products to market. They also built a new PC manufacturing plant in NC. Who knows, maybe we'll start to see less bloatware...

Options

16 Posts

02-20-2011

Beaver Lake Nebraska

8 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 36 of 52

2014-04-01, 0:05 AM

IMHO it is still early in this sale to Lenovo. I have been using Motorola products for as long as I remember. I am in the process of updating my trusty old Motorola Droid HD to a new Moto X Wood Edition. With that said I have also used Thinkpad / Lenovo laptops for years too. 

When IBM sold it's hardware division to Lenovo everyone thought it was the "end of the world" . Now we do know that is so not true. Lenovo is now the largest PC maker in the world ! People follow quality and innovation. I think Motorola Mobility will keep growing and will keep being on the cutting edge of phones that do what we need. 

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 37 of 52

2014-04-01, 0:18 AM

A friend of mine likes to say that you shouldn't get wet before it rains.  And the forum manager has said that worrying about something that hasn't happened is like paying interest on a loan that you don't owe yet.

@jkrehmke, I'm with you on this.  We have nothing to lose by thinking positively about this.

Options

1485 Posts

08-11-2013

United States of America

694 Signins

8363 Page Views

• Views: 8363
  • Message 38 of 52

2014-04-01, 0:35 AM

Couldn't agree more! Let's practice expecting the best outcome.

crystallet said:

A friend of mine likes to say that you shouldn't get wet before it rains.  And the forum manager has said that worrying about something that hasn't happened is like paying interest on a loan that you don't owe yet.

@jkrehmke, I'm with you on this.  We have nothing to lose by thinking positively about this.

View original

Options

592 Posts

10-20-2010

United States of America

30 Signins

528 Page Views

• Views: 528
  • Message 39 of 52

2014-04-01, 20:48 PM

I think Motorola might end up being ok under Lenovo. I've read a couple of interviews with Lenovo's CEO and he seems to be in it to win it. He wants to use Motorola effectively to keep the markets they are doing well in and reestablish Motorola by Lenovo in developing countries and China. The Motorola name has a certain luster to it in many markets. 

These buyouts typically take 9 - 12 months before the deed is done. The next generation of Moto X is already signed off on and will be released late this summer. The  Lenovo CEO has said that he is not interested in changing the Motorola linup significantly or how it does business now. He will continue to use near stock versions of Android and emphasize quick software updates. Google has bought a 6% stake in Lenovo, so they will have some input on future Motorola smartphones and tablets. 

Options

714 Posts

09-03-2012

United States of America

553 Signins

3616 Page Views

• Views: 3616
  • Message 40 of 52

2014-04-03, 1:56 AM

I've never had any Lenovo mobile devices such as a smartphone or tablet but I have been using their ThinkPad W Series laptops for several years. They are some of the best pieces of hardware I've ever used so I'm not too concerned about a decrease in build quality. The ThinkPad series was known for that when they were a part of IBM and that hasn't changed since Lenovo took over (I believe someone else in this thread stated the same). 

I get that people want to buy American made goods but as long as the majority of this country wants to make exceptional wages and still buy everything as cheap as possible (WalMart, etc.) that is not going to happen. 

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, i7-8650U, Intel 620 UHD Integrated Graphics, 2560x1440 HDR WQHD Display, 16GB LPDDR3 1600 RAM, 1 TB SSD
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms