Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto X PhonesMOTO X™ 2nd Gen
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

09-29-2015

United States of America

4 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 1 of 5

Moto X 2014 Pure Edition (xt1095) - Frequent Random Reboots, Settings->Apps hangs when app selected

2016-11-16, 16:40 PM

About 5 days ago, the phone hung while I was entering a search string into the google search bar.

And that was the beginning - since then it is constantly, and randomly, rebooting, with no obvious pattern - can be using any app, and it just hangs, and starts up again.  When it restarts, the widgets on my screen have to regenerate as if having been powered off.  But it really doesn't completely power off when it hangs, since it comes back to life on it's own in about 20 seconds after the hang.  It's probably happening about 15 times per hour.

I think it's a problem with the settings app, or possibily with some physical memory being touched by the settings app.

A number of android sites suggest going to settings, and clearing cache, or maybe removing the updates from Play Store.

But I can't do these things - if I go to Settings -> Apps - and select ANY app - google or otherwise, I get the dreaded "Unfortunately, Settings has Stopped" error.  So I can't even clear some of the apps that are notorious for causing problems. 

Here's what I've done:

- Tried to use Greenify to shut down running apps to clear RAM (it fails - it can't do the Force Stop without generating the Settings has Stopped error).

- Used 3rd party App Cache cleaner, since I can't get clear cache from Settings

- Deleted a number of photos to reduce storage use (but device is less than 50% full)

- Deleted several apps that I don't use frequently, to reduce RAM usage

- Used the device's hardware menu to clear the cache partition

- Finally, to determine whether it was a 3rd party (play store) app, or a native Google app, I did a boot into Safe Mode.  This did nothing to help the problem.  Even in Safe Mode, if I selected Settings->Apps->any app - got the same error.

So i'm to the point that I need to figure out whether there's a way to revert to earlier versions of the Play Store or Settings - but since I can't delete those apps from Play Store, I don't see how I can.

Or it's a physical memory error - rare, but possible.

Obviously, I can try to to a full factory reset, but that's about a week pulling it all together, and I'm trying to avoid that.

I'm still limping along with it, but I can't predict at all when it will fail - mid web-page, mid-phone call, or what  - it just fails.  It's just about a year old, and I do have an extended Sq Trade warranty, but I'd rather just get it working.

Thanks for any suggestions -

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Moto X 2014 Pure Edition (xt1095) - Frequent Random Reboots, Settings->Apps hangs when app s

2016-11-16, 17:23 PM

wrote:

About 5 days ago, the phone hung while I was entering a search string into the google search bar.

And that was the beginning - since then it is constantly, and randomly, rebooting, with no obvious pattern - can be using any app, and it just hangs, and starts up again.  When it restarts, the widgets on my screen have to regenerate as if having been powered off.  But it really doesn't completely power off when it hangs, since it comes back to life on it's own in about 20 seconds after the hang.  It's probably happening about 15 times per hour.

I think it's a problem with the settings app, or possibily with some physical memory being touched by the settings app.

A number of android sites suggest going to settings, and clearing cache, or maybe removing the updates from Play Store.

But I can't do these things - if I go to Settings -> Apps - and select ANY app - google or otherwise, I get the dreaded "Unfortunately, Settings has Stopped" error.  So I can't even clear some of the apps that are notorious for causing problems. 

Here's what I've done:

- Tried to use Greenify to shut down running apps to clear RAM (it fails - it can't do the Force Stop without generating the Settings has Stopped error).

- Deleted a number of photos to reduce storage use (but device is less than 50% full)

- Finally, to determine whether it was a 3rd party (play store) app, or a native Google app, I did a boot into Safe Mode.  This did nothing to help the problem.  Even in Safe Mode, if I selected Settings->Apps->any app - got the same error.

So i'm to the point that I need to figure out whether there's a way to revert to earlier versions of the Play Store or Settings - but since I can't delete those apps from Play Store, I don't see how I can.

Obviously, I can try to to a full factory reset, but that's about a week pulling it all together, and I'm trying to avoid that.

I'm still limping along with it, but I can't predict at all when it will fail - mid web-page, mid-phone call, or what  - it just fails.  It's just about a year old, and I do have an extended Sq Trade warranty, but I'd rather just get it working.

Your cleaning apps are not helping... they just cause the phone to constantly restart apps that are set to run. But if cache clear and safemode don't help, then reset is the next step. Reset and do NOT install or restore any apps. Test the phone. When you sure it is working properly, then add apps. 

You can spend hours guessing at more troubleshooting steps, but a reset is 100% conclusive and in the end, faster then all the time you spent doing other things. If my phone did that 15 times an hour, i would not put off a reset. I would go crazy dealing with the unpredictability you describe.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

5951 Posts

10-05-2016

United States of America

693 Signins

59017 Page Views

• Views: 59017
  • Message 3 of 5

Re: Moto X 2014 Pure Edition (xt1095) - Frequent Random Reboots, Settings->Apps hangs when app s

2016-11-16, 17:35 PM

wrote:

Here's what I've done:

Hi AHMNJ,

I would also suggest to please take a moment to update your forum profile with the current IMEI or SN from your device.

Need help updating your profile? See here.https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

Please do not send me a personal message regarding your concerns or questions if this can be posted to this community. We prioritize the ones posting on threads.
Options

6 Posts

09-29-2015

United States of America

4 Signins

68 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2016-11-16, 19:04 PM
Thanks, AlpaDog - I suspect you're right. Just thought I'd see if there was a silver bullet I was missing.

I just did this in september when it started giving random alerts. The factory reset fixed it, but it's a pain to have things blowing up again only 3 months later!

Will back up stuff tonight, and see what happens. There goes the weekend...
Options

6 Posts

09-29-2015

United States of America

4 Signins

68 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2016-11-16, 19:05 PM
I've done that, Jess... don't think that will help diagnose. If you have anything other than a factory reset, that would be great! :)
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms