Options

19 Posts

01-10-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 4

Adding Maps and Memory Availability - TN765T

2011-01-10, 17:57 PM

I've had my TN765T for a little over a month now and I am happy with it.  My 60 day period for the map update expires at the end of January, 2011, so I'm holding out hoping for a new map release in the next few weeks.  Anyway, my specific question is:  I'm going to Europe, and I want to know if the memory is sufficient to store the European Map set, as well as the north American map set.  I have installed a 16G memory card, but I have seen on other posts on this forum that the external memory is not accessible at the current time, and hopefully will be usable after future firmware updates. 

I just don't want to begin downloading the Europe maps and get an Insufficient Memory warning and be faced with deleting files from the device.  Currently, with the North American Maps only, the Device Information page on my device says the Total Memory is 159,383,552, the Max. memory is 167,772,160 and free memory is 5,431,296.  I guess that is bytes, I'm not sure. It's not "seeing" the 16 Gig card if I am interpreting this data correctly.  Keep up the good work on the forum and I enjoy reading all your posts.

Deltatraveller.

Options

164 Posts

06-28-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Adding Maps and Memory Availability - TN765T

2011-01-11, 17:06 PM

For starters, two quick things:

If you're holding out for a newer update, whatever you do, don't let the time slip by without getting the latest that's currently offered, as it has been made known that Motorola will soon orphan this line of product.  Not sure if there will even be a map update, but I would hate to have the MotoExtras site shut down and see you lose the ability to get the Q4 2009 mapo that's out there.

Second: none of us, to this point, have been able to get functionality out of the micro-SD card.  It just doesn't show up.  If you're PC savvy, you may want to download MioPocket for this device.  Since this is a Windows CE device, Mio Pocket will give you access to all of the windows functions, including Device Manager, where you can explore what's happening with the memory card drive.

Finally, the only suggestion I have regarding the Euro map is to check teh site for teh map size,  As long as theres plenty of room for it (I don't think the Euro map is excessively large) then it should work alongside your current US map.  If not, you could do a complete backup, install the Euro map over your existing map, then restore the backup once you return.

If an overwrite doesn't work, once you do a backup, remove the following folders:

go to Motonav -> Content -> then remove: Map, Mapparser, POI. (be sure to put them where you can add them back later.

This should free up map space for the Euro Maps.

Again, it is imperative that you do a complete backup (through MotoExtras) in case this doesn't work, and to be able to get back to the US map if the Euro maps don't fit, or when you return.

Good luck!

Options

19 Posts

01-10-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2011-01-11, 23:45 PM

Thunderlizard,

Thank you for your reply. I'll keep in mind all your hints when I add the

maps. I definitely won't let my 60 days pass before I update to whatever

North American maps are available. It's too bad about the Motorola support

on this GPS, because it really is quite a nice little unit and it has worked

well for the month I have had it.

One quick question if I might: What is the Cache garbage? Should I be

emptying it now and then, or is that part of the system that is managed

automatically?

Best Regards and thanks again for the help,

Ron

Options

164 Posts

06-28-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 4 of 4

2011-01-12, 1:44 AM

I believe the Cache garbage is system managed, so you don't have to worry about it.  Besides, if your cache is anything like mine, it's so small, it's ineffectual.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete