Older Devices ArchiveMOTONAV™ Series Navigation Devices and Car Kits
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

12-03-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 5

Deleted TN765T Internal files, now what ?

2010-12-03, 3:00 AM

So i just got this new TN765T, tired to get updates for it which of the 3 updates the last said it did not have enough room and that i should remove files. Now i knew better than to just delete everything, but i had no idea that MOT. would be so stupid to make somthing that becomes a brick when you wipe the files off it.

Now the Toolbox cannot even connect to it. Nor can i find info tellimg me how to put the files back on it.

Can any of you guys point me in the right direction ?

I have called mot 7 times over the last hour and a half and am getting no where with them.

Options

525 Posts

06-26-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Deleted TN765T Internal files, now what ?

2010-12-03, 5:04 AM

Unfortunate situation you are in.   The Toolbox always mildly insists you do a backup prior to any updates.   Did you do a backup?   Can you see the 765 with Explorer on your PC?   Does it mount as a removable drive?   If  you had the backup files you could just drag them back to the gps.  No one can send you their files are there is a license folder with several files that is unique to each unit.

I don't understand why Moto support could not do something for you.   Usually they would say send it back and we will exchange it.   Can you just return it to the place you bought it and declare it defective?   I think that would be justifiable since the manufacturer won't help you. 

Options

90 Posts

12-03-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2010-12-03, 5:50 AM

I hope you have done the backup. Try to TURN ON your moto and then connect it to the PC. Check if it's recognized as a Storage Device or not. If yes, then just copy entire backup to the root of Storage Device.

As far as any help from MOTO is concerned, I dont think you have any chance. DON'T send them the unit. If it's still under warranty, then go to the place from where u purchased i[like Amazon has 30 days return policy] and ask for exchange.

It's pity that such a beautiful piece of hardware was ruined by the pathetic willingness of MOTO to support it. SHAME ON THEM.

I ordered one from amazon, had to return it for exchange since the original one kept loosing my position on the road[I did apply all 3 updates]. Now the exchanged one also has a lot of problems. It usually forgets when i make a turn that it suggested and then kept rerouting for a while.

But, my moto have 4 GB of internal memory and has more t han 1.5 Gig free. My updates went flawlessly w/o asking for data removal.

For future:

IF u ever have to remove/delete files. go to content folder, then first delete all files inside "dem" folder. Then delete files inside "map" folder for states u don't travel a lot. These then will be available to you once the update is done.

ONE THING POSITIVE:

The fastest route option[avoiding highways b/c i dont like to drive on them] gives almost exactly the same route that is given by Navigon. So routing is good in MOTONAV TN765T

ONE MORE THING:

I don't see any active support from MOTOROLA for their GPS devices. Their so called LATEST maps are from Q4 2009. People here seemed to blame NAVTEQ for this. But, Garmin also used NAVTEQ maps and already had released Q3 2010 maps. This one thing is enough to show how much interest MOTO has to keep supporting these devices. They are merely cleaning up their inventories.

I have 3 more GPS devices: Navigon 7100[with 7200 software], Pharos PDR150[with Destinator 9], Nuvi 1490LMT[Just received]. I still love Navigon interface and don't see any thing beating it up. Second is Garmin. Even PDR150 is reliable but again Pharos also doesn't seem to support their GPSes whole heartedly. Navigon is long gone from USA. Was playing with Garmin an hour ago and found map display extremely stuttering[5 inch display with 4.3 display resolution is the reason]. But, I may keep it because I need a reliable GPS that can guide me through unknowns w/o loosing my position on road[I still have to test Garmin though and hope it won't disappoint me]

Options

3 Posts

12-03-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2010-12-03, 13:52 PM

Thanks guys for the help and reply!

The software did ask me to back it up.  I though it meant that it wanted me to back up my saved locations. Had no idea it meant all its internal maping software. So i never backed it up, because it was new and i have not put any locations in it yet.

Well, after trying to call motorola sever times over an hour in a half, getting hung up on 3 times, 2 times transfered to the wrong dept. and so.

On top of that its a new unit and maps are back from '09. was not able to register the unit on line as the links for the GPS register take you to a phone register location. This who thing exsperiance is so jacked up its unbeliveable.  The unit does have some cool features,  but Mot has turned it into a useless thing for me.

This is actually my second unit this week. The first one i bought from tiger direct, the box it came in was perfict, but the units GPS box inside looked like it went through a war. the unit was not even in the inset in the box but rather laying underneath rattling arround in the box with the rest of the peices.  I did try it and it had a hard time getting and lossing GPS lock. I sent it back, then received another one. and now all this.

I have had 3 other GPS units from other manuf. and i will say that this has proven to be the worst one out of all of them as far as getting upodates and registering the unit. This also was the worst for maintaining a good GPS lock out of the 3 others.

I am sending this one back today, and will NEVER touch another MOT product.  I would like to wish you all good luck with yours and hope that mot gets you a map update soon for you guys.

Take Care.

Options

3 Posts

12-31-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2011-01-01, 2:12 AM

seulater wrote:

Unfortunate situation you are in.   The Toolbox always mildly insists you do a backup prior to any updates.   Did you do a backup?   Can you see the 765 with Explorer on your PC?   Does it mount as a removable drive?   If  you had the backup files you could just drag them back to the gps.  No one can send you their files are there is a license folder with several files that is unique to each unit.

I don't understand why Moto support could not do something for you.   Usually they would say send it back and we will exchange it.   Can you just return it to the place you bought it and declare it defective?   I think that would be justifiable since the manufacturer won't help you. 

Thanks for your sharing! It is just the solution for my problem, It's quite useful.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete