05-18-2008

US

24 Signins

162 Page Views

• Views: 162
  • Message 1 of 8

I think it's a keeper, after all [TN765t]

2011-01-10, 1:05 AM

Today I was able to do an on-the-road, side-by-side comparison between my TN765t and a borrowed Garmin 3790t. I was expecting to prefer the Garmin, as it's the company's top-of-the-line model, has iPhone styling with a super-high resolution display, and slips into my pocket like the Queen of Spades.

After about 90 minutes of navigating a number of Interstate exchanges, multiple route recalculations, moving from daytime to evening, driving out on the open highway and in out-of-the-way subdivisions, the verdict is in, for me at least: the TN765t is a keeper, even against a PND that has a list price of $449, as does the Garmin.

Though the Garmin does have a very nice high-res screen, the Moto's display is still superior, I think. The Garmin's graphics, while better than on lower-end Garmins, are still a bit too cartoonish for my taste. The Moto's map layout is not only more appealing, but the presentation unrolls in way that is much more in sync with my driving style. (There's probably a more precise way to describe this, but I'm not a true techie, O.K.?)

I wish the Moto displayed current speed next to posted speed limit, but my car *does* come with a speedometer, so I can deal with that.

Recalculation on the Moto is at least 2-3 times as fast as on the Garmin, and is often much faster than that.

I like the Moto's "dong" signal prior to turns, which Garmin has dropped in the 3790.

I like that the Moto, with SciFi's 08jan11 mod, is able to display the current street or highway name. That's a feature that I hadn't benefited from before, but I find it very useful.

And the Garmin -- or at least the model I was testing -- has a fatal flaw. As I was driving down the Interstate, it just died, finally rebooting itself three minutes later. A number of users have reported this. Not cool. Plus, at times the Garmin, in high-detail mode, incompletely displays its map, filling in blocks just as my car icon reaches the area in question. Also not cool, especially on such an expensive device.

Oh, how I wish there were more current maps for the Moto, and that I could be sure that regular map updates would be forthcoming. But, as things stand, the TN765t is a better PND than Garmin's top-of-the-line, at least based on my brief test.

My three cents.

Options

164 Posts

06-28-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: I think it's a keeper, after all [TN765t]

2011-01-10, 15:48 PM

Dhave, you echo my sentiments on why I bought the MotoNav in the first place.  My feeling is, if I'm going to be looking at this thing whenever I'm in my car (and i'm in my car A LOT), then it has tolook appealing.  One of teh things that led me to the Navigon wa sthat teh display did a good job at mimicking what I saw out of my windshield (especially with the sky on teh horizon for day and night).  Though for some, this may sound minor, for me, the more realistic it looks, the less time my brain has to take to "translate" the data.  I found that with the Garmins, because of the simple, child-like graphics, I would have to look harder at the unit to decipher how what was displayed applied to what was ahead of me.  Others may not have this issue, but hey, we ar all "fearfully and wondefully made"!

Regarding the maps, even those with teh most current maps offered by other brands still complain of missed roads and ancient POI's still being there, or not there at all.  FO me, I have yet to miss a road in my area with the MotoNav

Q4 2009 maps.  As far as POI's go, well, Google search has 'em beat hands down!  Don't get me wrong, I'd be first in line to purchase the latest map update, once it's offered, but I really don't thing we're missing much.

For a more detailed discussion on this (and for the sentiment of some others who have just updated with other units, take a look at this:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=21813

Anyway, glad you stayed with us!  ...and watch out for those Blackberry's - they seem to get really slippery whenever they are over water! (i.e. commodes!)

Options

26 Posts

01-26-2011

US

10 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 3 of 8

2011-01-22, 1:23 AM

I have to agree with your sentiments too dhave.  I recently took my TN765t to Baltimore (twice now) and I am SO happy with it.  I am terrible with directions and quick changes and get panicky when lost, but I loved how, for instance, when I was getting ready to get on/off the freeway I could "see" the configuration of the road before me. ie. I knew clearly what was coming up and was prepared for it.  I decided to turn the sound off so that I would be more tuned in to my surroundings too (ie. I was looking for the next street instead of the GPS "telling me" verbally what was coming up...it seems, no matter what, I miss the turn when I'm simply listening and not looking myself, and in the city it is very easy to do because the streets are so close together...you can drive right by your turn before you know it).  I found it a little less stressful too to go purely from "visuals" and "next turn" directions spelled out on the top blue bar.  And I LOVE how the lane assist, drop down freeway signs, etc flow.  It truly is excellent!  It is very liberating for me to be able to drive to a busy city and not fear getting lost. 

@thunderlizard...I totally appreciated your link to the discussion of map updates.  It truly is over rated.  We can always bring MapQuest paper directions for back up if we feel insecure about a route, right?  I always bring paper directions as back up anyway.  In the end though, I would rather have a PND device with EXCELLENT graphics, EXCELLENT navigating and all the features that my MOTONAV has than throw it all away for a map update.  I don't care if I never get any more updates or customer service.  I never use any of it anyway.  I'll keep this one until it dies.  I'm happy with it : )   

Options

525 Posts

06-26-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2011-01-22, 14:27 PM

Are you aware of the new "enhancements", aka "skin" that is being developed by two guys over on the gpsreview.net Motonav fourm?  You might like some of the changes as you get more visual information on the map screen, including current address/street which includes 'house" numbers.  Check out http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=21520

This is one of the screens available, but more are coming.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/417/1002632a.jpg

Options

26 Posts

01-26-2011

US

10 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 5 of 8

2011-01-22, 23:50 PM

Thanks for the info spyder63.  Have you incorporated these affects on your MOTONAV? I am not computer savy at all and would be afraid of damaging my MOTONAV brain if I attempted it.  The new additions look really cool though.  If I could do it without crippling my PND, I would love to try and enlist the changes.  Any suggestions?

Options

525 Posts

06-26-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2011-01-23, 5:10 AM

Actually it is pretty easy, but it would be best if your did a complete backup of the Moto before starting the process. Have you downloaded the free application MotoExtras Toolbox?  

MOTONAV Toolbox is a FREE Windows utility designed to connect your  navigation device with your PC. You must download it to see all  available updates, purchase updates, download the necessary files and  upload updates and new content to your navigation device.

It can also be used to create and restore backups, and to move or copy contents between the PC and your navigation device.

The 'Toolbox' client is not required when upgrading from the trial  mode to premium services. It is only required to retrieve your free map  update, which comes as part of the subscription, and for additional  content purchases.

Get it here:   https://motonavmobile.naviextras.com/shop/portal/toolbox

If your TN765 did not come with the latest firmware and bluetooth updates then you should do those while connected with the Toolbox app.  This you should do even if your do not try the new skin.

Once all that is accomplished download the latest skin version v6.1. (get the latest URL at the other web site)

Change the name of the file which is called DATA(6.1).zip to DATA.zip.  Copy the renamed file as is (do not unzip it) to your TN765 while it is tethered to your PC with the USB cable and place it into the folder named Motonav.  Disconnect your gps from the PC in an orderly fashion using the disconnect option in the Toolbar and don't just disconnect the cable.  It will restart automatically and the changes will be visible.  If you don't like the changes just delete the DATA.zip file from the gps and it will return to normal. 

Options

19 Posts

07-13-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2011-01-23, 23:42 PM

How can this be a keeper with no map updates and the thing still has my home 200 yards down the street. What happened to Motorola, oh yeah they make cell phones, not PNDs. Mine still sits on my computer desk waiting for some kind of update.

Options

164 Posts

06-28-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2011-01-24, 3:26 AM

Hey Joe~

I can understand your frustration, but to help clarify something - the fact that your address comes up 200 yds away has more to do with the map provider and not the unit.  Map providers often cannot verify every address on every street, and will often "guestimate" based upon average lot size, and numbering direction.  I've seen this same condition with the absolute latest map on my Garmin unit.  I would love to see a map update too (and we are actively working on lobbying NaviExtras to pick this up) but I have to say, throughout the Carolinas, Virginia and West Virginia, I've seen no incidence of roads being missed, and only a few "mis-locates" for roads and businesses.  Comparitively, this is a great track record.  I travel for a living, by car, and log a lot of miles.  So far, this GPS has been the most accurate  (and enjoyable to use) of the 5 that I have tried over the last 2 years!

For a refresher, try one of the skins that Spyder mentioned and go use the thing!  I'll bet your opinion will improve!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete