05-18-2008

US

24 Signins

162 Page Views

• Views: 162
  • Message 1 of 9

Motorola: "We're not making GPSes any more."

2011-01-10, 22:48 PM

I just got off the line with someone in Motonav support, and she volunteered the information in the subject line. She continued, "I don't know if there'll be a last map update or not."

I asked, "So, Motorola's getting out of the GPS business completely?"

"That's right," she said.

I told her I felt Motorola was doing a huge disservice to the many customers who invested a lot of money in these devices (I have the TN765t). She didn't disagree, but she said she would put me in touch with someone in the company who could help me get my money back if I wanted it.

Looks like what most of us suspected is true, after all. I've been living in denial!

EDIT @ 5:55 p.m., 10jan11: The nice support person came back on line to say that she couldn't arrange a refund, after all. I asked her if Motorola had plans to permit Motonav GPS owners to get map updates directly from Naviextras. She wasn't familiar with Naviextras. She said she'd put that in her notes as a suggestion. (I wanted to say, "Yeah, right," and bring up hell freezing, pigs flying, etc., but she seemed like such a sweetheart -- albeit a sweetheart working for a cold, heartless corporation -- that I just told her thanks.)

Options

125 Posts

05-18-2008

US

24 Signins

162 Page Views

• Message 2 of 9

Re: Motorola: "We're not making GPSes any more."

2011-01-10, 23:14 PM

Here's a link that may be helpful:

http://www.memorialhospital.org/library/general/stress-the-3.html

I found that I've managed to work quickly through the five stages, though I had been stuck on Denial for quite a while.

I'm going to hang on to my TN765t, enjoy SciFi's mods and other customizations, explore all the stuff that this still-cool device can do -- and save my money for The Best GPS Ever Made, if and when it is produced.

Also, I'll probably buy The Best GPS Ever Made from a dedicated GPS company (as much as I dislike Garmin's graphics). I hope the BGPSEM isn't a phone app, but I suppose I won't be surprised.

Options

792 Posts

06-25-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 3 of 9

2011-01-10, 23:30 PM

Very interesting.......well, if Moto does dump the gps market, I`ll guess we`ll all have to treat it like a very nice summer.......nice will it lasted, and will miss it when it`s gone.  In the meantime we`ll just "run it" until there`s no more "running" left to it...............

Options

31 Posts

12-06-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2011-01-11, 7:07 AM

I'm not surprised and not at all disppointed. When I saw the 765 going for $139 at Sears and at on-line liquidators  I assumed the massive discount meant Moto was out of the GPS business. As fast as the technology is moving, I'd never pay over that price for a portable GPS unit. Don't care about map updates...I'm not into buying map updates and there'll be several new generations of PNDs before the current 09 maps become noticebly outdated for my use.  For $139, I got a great deal. It would be nice if they maintained the line, but I have no regrets and will enjoy the TN 765 for years.

Options

125 Posts

05-18-2008

US

24 Signins

162 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2011-01-11, 7:25 AM

Well said, dwpc.

Options

136 Posts

11-27-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2011-01-11, 11:15 AM

I was lucky to get my 765 for $129.99 and living in a state where the last road changes where made by the Romans (Yikes) the map updates will not be anything I worry about either.

I'm not too bothered about support as long as they keep this forum open.I've found that the users on here are more knowledgable than most Customer Service people anyway.

I seem to be a bad omen for gps.First I had a Sanyo Easystreet and just after getting it they stopped in the market and now the same here.I wonder how much TomTom would give me to buy a Garmin

Options

164 Posts

06-28-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2011-01-11, 16:26 PM

cheekystag wrote:

I seem to be a bad omen for gps.First I had a Sanyo Easystreet and just after getting it they stopped in the market and now the same here.I wonder how much TomTom would give me to buy a Garmin

Ha!  I had a couple of Navigon units before this.  First the 7200T , then the 8100T (glorious unit!).  I know exactly how you feel!

Options

16326 Posts

11-22-2013

US

11 Signins

305 Page Views

• Views: 305
  • Message 8 of 9

2011-01-11, 19:31 PM

I'll look into this but I haven't gotten any information regarding this type of business change. I have been actively looking into Map upgrades as the request of many members in this community. I don't have an answer yet however.

Mark

Support Forums Manager

dhave wrote:

I just got off the line with someone in Motonav support, and she volunteered the information in the subject line. She continued, "I don't know if there'll be a last map update or not."

I asked, "So, Motorola's getting out of the GPS business completely?"

"That's right," she said.

I told her I felt Motorola was doing a huge disservice to the many customers who invested a lot of money in these devices (I have the TN765t). She didn't disagree, but she said she would put me in touch with someone in the company who could help me get my money back if I wanted it.

Looks like what most of us suspected is true, after all. I've been living in denial!

EDIT @ 5:55 p.m., 10jan11: The nice support person came back on line to say that she couldn't arrange a refund, after all. I asked her if Motorola had plans to permit Motonav GPS owners to get map updates directly from Naviextras. She wasn't familiar with Naviextras. She said she'd put that in her notes as a suggestion. (I wanted to say, "Yeah, right," and bring up hell freezing, pigs flying, etc., but she seemed like such a sweetheart -- albeit a sweetheart working for a cold, heartless corporation -- that I just told her thanks.)

Mark
Former Employee
Options

792 Posts

06-25-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2011-01-11, 19:33 PM

Thanks for looking into this..............It`s very much appreciated!!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete