Options

90 Posts

12-03-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 39

Sorry MOTO :( Leaving YOU!!!

2010-12-28, 3:12 AM

Ah!!! I have never thought I could breakup my relationship with MOTO TN765T but I did! Today was the 29th day and I had to decide whether to keep it or not. I decided to return it because MOTO is not looking interested in these orphaned piece of gem any more

Well, long story short, I have a neighbour who is at a high level position[seriously] in MOTOROLA[and in the would be called motorola mobility] that takes care of smart phones and these GPS devices. I knew him for a while[we've good family terms] but haven't thought of asking him his opinion about MOTONAV [Actually I forgot he is in MOTO ] Anyways, yesterday I was in his house for dinner and when we start chatting about motorola then I realize he is the right person to ask about TN765T. I asked him and you know what he said ??? He said "My sincere advice is to return it asap if u can. It's a waste of money for u. Moto is not excelling in navigation and is not willing to invest in them any more" I was shocked. I asked him whether they are going to release any software updates. He said may be one more but I am not 100% confirmed and that's it.

I thought whole night and tried to justify the purchase. However, when I really thought from a neutral perspective I found the answer. I can't give my hard earned 150$ for a device that'll have 1 year old maps and will be "outdated" within 1 month of possession. So, I decided to return it. I still feel very sad  that I have to return it. But, truth is bitter and that's it

I know there are many persons out there who may criticise what I did. They may be correct from thinking in one perspective. But, I already have 2 GPS whose companies tricked me and left the support for their devices merely within 6 months of when I purchased them.

I hope motorola at least release iGo Primo 1.2 with eco Route, myRoute and other cool features and handover map updates to naviextras.com so that those who still want to keep the device can have updated maps on their devices.

I will stay in the forum and may purchase the product again if motorola release a software and map update.

Good Bye!!!

Options

164 Posts

06-28-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 2 of 39

Re: Sorry MOTO :( Leaving YOU!!!

2010-12-28, 13:36 PM

Dude,I don't blame you.  I'm too far along to consider that option, so I have little choice but to keep playing the game.  Given your situation, though, I would have done the same. It's a shame - there are so many great attributes to this device, which is why most, if not all of us bought it in the first place, but being a former Navigon user, I'm not too thrilled about the idea of being left in the lurch, especially on map updates.

Still though, you never know what the future may hold.  Quick/Rash decisions seem to have led Moto into this market in teh first place, and it seems like those same decisions may be leading them out.  But that may change tomorrow!

Pop in from time to time - all it takes is a map update or two or new firmware, and things may be alive and well again!

BTW~ what device woudl you consider as a replacement? Cydle?

Options

525 Posts

06-26-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 39

2010-12-28, 17:42 PM

We've got CES happening in another week so it will be interesting, as always, to see what comes down the pipe.

As for Cydle - it seems they are not fulfilling their promises any too quickly either.  A year ago they promised a bluetooth model, which isn't anything innovative, and still nothing.  Recent promises on updates keep getting pushed back.

The game is boiling down to Garmin, Tom Tom, and Magellan for PND/auto nav devices in the US. 

Options

164 Posts

06-28-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 39

2010-12-28, 18:20 PM

Spyder63 wrote:

The game is boiling down to Garmin, Tom Tom, and Magellan for PND/auto nav devices in the US. 

That's a shame.  Nothing but the same-ol' - same-ol'.

Kinda harkens back to the "Tucker" discussion - the big guys using price pressure to force the newcomers out of the market.

For me, I love the MotoNav interface and screen.  The graphics are the best (in my opinion).  The only competition I saw in the "eye-candy" arena is the now-U.S.-defunct Navigon, which I owned as well (8100T) till it was stolen.  It had some quirks (no directional arrows on POI search was pretty annoying!) but for something that I interacted with every day, it was noce to look at.

I can only hope that SciFi dude continues to tweak the interface, and that maybe we'll get turned over to the NaviExtras site for some up-to-date maps and such. Otherwise...*ding*...another one bites the dust.

Options

31 Posts

12-06-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 39

2010-12-28, 20:29 PM

It's only a tool. Anything electronic has a short SOTA life.  If my Moto works for a few years, I'll be quite satisfied. By then the PNDs will probably drive the car too.

Options

90 Posts

12-03-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 39

2010-12-29, 5:47 AM

Thunderlizard wrote:

Dude,I don't blame you.  I'm too far along to consider that option, so I have little choice but to keep playing the game.  Given your situation, though, I would have done the same. It's a shame - there are so many great attributes to this device, which is why most, if not all of us bought it in the first place, but being a former Navigon user, I'm not too thrilled about the idea of being left in the lurch, especially on map updates.

Still though, you never know what the future may hold.  Quick/Rash decisions seem to have led Moto into this market in teh first place, and it seems like those same decisions may be leading them out.  But that may change tomorrow!

Pop in from time to time - all it takes is a map update or two or new firmware, and things may be alive and well again!

BTW~ what device woudl you consider as a replacement? Cydle?

Well, I was willing to keep my Nuvi 1490LMT. But, it has constant static sound during TTS and the TTS itself stutters a lot. Route recalculation is miserably slow. I contacted amazon and they said I should return it for a refund as they are not willing to send a replacement[This was the second unit, the first one I sent back b/c of map freezing issue]. So, right now, I have stuck with my old navigon and pdr150

Options

164 Posts

06-28-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 39

2010-12-29, 15:23 PM

Suckage.  Not much luck with PND's eh?

If I hadn't chosen the MotoNav, I would have gone with the Cydle (i think it's the T43H?).  Lots of info on the screen, which I like, and better traffic through the digital FM.  The main problem I had was the map provider.  Not as accurate as Navteq, IMHO, but the differences remain to be seen.

Though Cydle has been a bit slow to release new products (I don't think they have Bluetooth yet??) they have been pretty responsive and have been well connected in the "Other" forum (here):  http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=17350

As far as I can tell (and from info provided by their staunch advocate, Papa) the units are well made, and have a nice display, though 4.3" is the max width.  Like I said, that would have been my choice other choice.

I own 2 Garmins - 765T and 285WT.  Both work ok, but calcs are slow, screen response is not too good, and I don't like the way they search.  Also, the "cartooney" interfaces and displays bug me.  (On this front, my Navigon 8100T was the best, IMHO).  I bought the 765T because I wanted Junction View, only to find out that the coverage is so sparse in the Carolinas, I never saw it until I drove to DC! Kinda felt like I was a bit mislead there.

Anyway, you've got some interesting choices out there.  Keep us posted on what you choose.  I'll be curious to see what you end up with.

Good luck!

Mark

Options

525 Posts

06-26-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 39

2010-12-29, 15:30 PM

Hey, TL -  Did you notice that your friendly smile and expertise got you inducted into the "squiggly" club on the other side?  Congrats.

Options

90 Posts

12-03-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 39

2010-12-29, 17:09 PM

Thunderlizard wrote:

Suckage.  Not much luck with PND's eh?

If I hadn't chosen the MotoNav, I would have gone with the Cydle (i think it's the T43H?).  Lots of info on the screen, which I like, and better traffic through the digital FM.  The main problem I had was the map provider.  Not as accurate as Navteq, IMHO, but the differences remain to be seen.

Though Cydle has been a bit slow to release new products (I don't think they have Bluetooth yet??) they have been pretty responsive and have been well connected in the "Other" forum (here):  http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=17350

As far as I can tell (and from info provided by their staunch advocate, Papa) the units are well made, and have a nice display, though 4.3" is the max width.  Like I said, that would have been my choice other choice.

I own 2 Garmins - 765T and 285WT.  Both work ok, but calcs are slow, screen response is not too good, and I don't like the way they search.  Also, the "cartooney" interfaces and displays bug me.  (On this front, my Navigon 8100T was the best, IMHO).  I bought the 765T because I wanted Junction View, only to find out that the coverage is so sparse in the Carolinas, I never saw it until I drove to DC! Kinda felt like I was a bit mislead there.

Anyway, you've got some interesting choices out there.  Keep us posted on what you choose.  I'll be curious to see what you end up with.

Good luck!

Mark

Yes. This was my first Garmin and frankly speaking my perception about Garmin has been badly shattered by this particular model. I don't know why people die on Garmin. Its routes are not the best I have seen. The screen is cartoonish. Map has mere information. No POI indications. Robotic voice. Slow recalculations. Its all there but still it is considered a defactu in PND ... Don't know why

Options

164 Posts

06-28-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 39

2010-12-29, 17:15 PM

I got my own Swishy-thingy??? Wahoooo!

There really is a Santa Claus!

...but, if SciFi dude keeps coming through with updates, I may just have to donate! ;)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete