Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rsainsbury
What's DOS?
Views: 2,901
Message 1 of 22

Admiral doesn't charge with usb car charger

I have a couple of USB style chargers for my car and when I plug my admiral in it looks like it is charging but the battery level actually goes down as we are traveling.  The USB charger output is 5v/2.1a.  does any one know what could be going on? 

mattvalenz
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 22

Re: Admiral doesn't charge with usb car charger

If it's not an official accessory from Moto it might not be being recognized properly therefore not charging.  This can happen with 3rd party chargers.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 3 of 22

+1  Yep.  Moto OEM accessories work best.

mattvalenz wrote:

If it's not an official accessory from Moto it might not be being recognized properly therefore not charging.  This can happen with 3rd party chargers.

I have been lucky with the car lighter to MicroUSB cords from Sams Club that sell for less than $10.  They seem to work just fine.  Some expensive ones ($30+) from Radio Shack were junk....

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
presto1
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 22

I am using my old Pre car charger and it works fine so at least some non Moto chargers will work.

Aireez
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 22

I have the same issue with mine and my husbands phone. We have had these since April 2012 and have had nothing but problems. We have replaced the batteries, used car chargers in other cars, used multiple chargers and cords. They will charge from the wall but not the car charger or computer. It shows that it is charging but the percentage continues to drop. Somethings is very strange and we never had this with any other phones. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 22

Aireez said:

I have the same issue with mine and my husbands phone. We have had these since April 2012 and have had nothing but problems. We have replaced the batteries, used car chargers in other cars, used multiple chargers and cords. They will charge from the wall but not the car charger or computer. It shows that it is charging but the percentage continues to drop. Somethings is very strange and we never had this with any other phones. Any suggestions are appreciated.

View original

Are you running navigation in the car?  Or any other processor intensive app?

There have been reports that some vehicle car chargers (either the cable or the port itself...can't remember the technical details) do not put out enough juice to compensate for the amount of juice the device is using.

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Aireez
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 22

I am on 2 of the vehicles but I've also tried on other vehicles without navigation. All vehicles are 2010-2012yrs
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 8 of 22

I agree with eaccents.

What are you running while plugged into the car? 

Also, when you pick the phone up is it hot? When your phone gets hot, say from running GPS streaming music and sitting in the direct got sun, the battery will drain down. The charger will not be able to keep up.

Try ending unused apps, and see if your charger will charge then. And keep the phone out of the direct sun, if possible.

Thanks,

J

leo8888
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 22

I have the same problem. Have tried three different car chargers, the last two were both purchased from Sprint and the last one I specifically asked if it was compatible with the Motorola Admiral. This one has a 2 amp output but still will not charge. I can watch it discharge while plugged in. This is with NO apps running. There is definitely something wrong with the design of the Admiral's charging system. It will charge fine with the wall charger but not with ANY car chargers. I can charge any other brand phone I have tried with this car charger but not my Admiral.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 10 of 22

leo8888 said:

I have the same problem. Have tried three different car chargers, the last two were both purchased from Sprint and the last one I specifically asked if it was compatible with the Motorola Admiral. This one has a 2 amp output but still will not charge. I can watch it discharge while plugged in. This is with NO apps running. There is definitely something wrong with the design of the Admiral's charging system. It will charge fine with the wall charger but not with ANY car chargers. I can charge any other brand phone I have tried with this car charger but not my Admiral.

View original

@leo

I hate to say it, but some of the items Sprint sells are not the same caliber as the ones Moto will sell, and it has been established in several of the recent device threads that Moto charging ports are particularly finicky.  Perhaps consider a Moto OEM product?  

Also, have you tried several of the charger combinations in other vehicles?