Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Waferboy
What's DOS?
Views: 744
Message 21 of 22

Re: Admiral doesn't charge with usb car charger

All,

I have to use the Admiral as it is supplied by my employer.  Like many here I was very frustrated by some chargers (few) working and other chargers (most) not working.

The resolution to this problem is the 2-pins used for data in a USB cable (pins 2 and 3) are shorted together any charger will work.

Background: I installed a couple 5V/3A power supplies in my 93 Mustang (charging options are limited) and after doing all the work the chargers didn't work.  The chargers would charge other things so the chargers seemed fine.

To get to the bottom of this, I found some adjustable power supplies and after setting up the voltage up to 5.4V I still couldn't get the phone to charge, the % charge just kept dropping slowly.

I messed around with multiple chargers to find that no matter what charger I used the current being pulled by the phone was ~50-55mA.  After hours of fiddling with things I came to the guess that soldering the data pins together may fix the problem.  Sure enough it did.  The current jumped up to ~150mA and the phone began charging.

My car chargers that didn't work for months began working and charging the phone!!!  I then took a USB cable and soldered the data pins and after that all the chargers that didn't work began working and charging my Admiral!

Maybe this is why the Mediabridge cable above shows in it's specs that, "This cable is intended for charging only."  In fact after some after the fact looking, I see here that it is noted, "A simple USB charger should short the 2 data lines together. The device will then not attempt to transmit or receive data, but can draw up to 1.8A, if the supply can provide it."

So this is why the chargers I checked that didn't have the data pins shorted didn't charge the Admiral and it only supplied a little less current than the phone used and in turn the phone slowly discharged.

If you buy a "charge only" type of cable it should have the data pins shorted together and assuming the charger you have can supply 5V at >100mA everything should work fine.

Anyway, good luck all.  I'm just happy my car chargers are working now.

Waferboy

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 744
Message 22 of 22

Re: Admiral doesn't charge with usb car charger

Waferboy said:

All,

I have to use the Admiral as it is supplied by my employer.  Like many here I was very frustrated by some chargers (few) working and other chargers (most) not working.

The resolution to this problem is the 2-pins used for data in a USB cable (pins 2 and 3) are shorted together any charger will work.

Background: I installed a couple 5V/3A power supplies in my 93 Mustang (charging options are limited) and after doing all the work the chargers didn't work.  The chargers would charge other things so the chargers seemed fine.

To get to the bottom of this, I found some adjustable power supplies and after setting up the voltage up to 5.4V I still couldn't get the phone to charge, the % charge just kept dropping slowly.

I messed around with multiple chargers to find that no matter what charger I used the current being pulled by the phone was ~50-55mA.  After hours of fiddling with things I came to the guess that soldering the data pins together may fix the problem.  Sure enough it did.  The current jumped up to ~150mA and the phone began charging.

My car chargers that didn't work for months began working and charging the phone!!!  I then took a USB cable and soldered the data pins and after that all the chargers that didn't work began working and charging my Admiral!

Maybe this is why the Mediabridge cable above shows in it's specs that, "This cable is intended for charging only."  In fact after some after the fact looking, I see here that it is noted, "A simple USB charger should short the 2 data lines together. The device will then not attempt to transmit or receive data, but can draw up to 1.8A, if the supply can provide it."

So this is why the chargers I checked that didn't have the data pins shorted didn't charge the Admiral and it only supplied a little less current than the phone used and in turn the phone slowly discharged.

If you buy a "charge only" type of cable it should have the data pins shorted together and assuming the charger you have can supply 5V at >100mA everything should work fine.

Anyway, good luck all.  I'm just happy my car chargers are working now.

Waferboy

View original

Thank you for this information! Smiley Happy

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."