Did you mean: 
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 2,117
Message 31 of 40

Re: Admiral freezes/lags when dialing/redialing - Touchscreen unresponsive

just.hoss said:

Finally giving up (for good)sad

cleaning my caches regularly seemingly did little to nothing to affect this problem. I did notice that it seemed (on the notification/service bar) that I routinely lost all service at the end of the call, and also randomly through the day (though being in a strong service area). I often had to resort to a battery pull to get the phone to work again in any timely fashion. routine force closures of the camera, gallery, and other factory apps were more and more prevelent as well. a few times a month the phone randomly shut itself down completely and restarted (with full battery).

gave up on it today, and took delivery of a new BlackBerry Q10.

as a final send off, as soon as I switched service over to the BB, a dozen or so miscellaneous (and previously unrecieved) texts from the last few weeks showed up in my new inbox!

Hoss

View original

Sorry we could not help you find a solution to the issue.

I spent 6 years as a Crackberry addict--they were all solid devices--so I hope things smooth out for you with the new device.

Best of luck Smiley Happy

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
just_hoss
What's DOS?
Message 32 of 40

eaccents said:

View original

Sorry we could not help you find a solution to the issue.

I spent 6 years as a Crackberry addict--they were all solid devices--so I hope things smooth out for you with the new device.

Best of luck Smiley Happy

View original

no worries- I appreciate the time and responses! I wish that things would've worked out too, or that at the very minimum, they would've updated and/or supported the Admiral and the O/S.

I said it before, I had such great hopes for that phone. I came from BB, too for many years before, but was always frustrated by the lack of a touch screen, or the abilaity to search the web easily. I thought the Motorola-Droid device did that part inceredibly well. the keyboard was great, and having DC made it ideal. the only downside is/was the service/reliability issues.

if they update and or come out with a new device with a touchscreen and full qwerty keboard (and spellcheck), I'd be all over it

regards!smiley

Hoss

jcs27
What's DOS?
Message 33 of 40

I have been experiencing major issues with this since I've bought the phone. I sometimes have to wait up to 2 minutes before the phone attempts to dial the number I entered. I hope I don't need to call 911 any time soon.

Observing the behavior of the phone when this issue occurs, I believe it's related to being unable to disable the data connection. Because CDMA phones cannot carry a voice and a data connection simultaneously, the phone must turn off the 3G data and switch to wi-fi before placing the call. It seems that the phone fails to dial when something is holding the data connection open and it cannot be released. This is because, when the phone is experiencing the problem, I notice a burst of data transmission right before the phone actually dials.

This would also explain why the problem is more frequent immediately after hanging up (I've noticed this too). When you hang up, it reestablishes the data connection for the first time in a while, and there's more likely to be data transmission as the apps all synchronize.

If my theory is correct, then this is caused by a bug in the phone itself (nothing an app does could do this.)

rendang
What's DOS?
Message 34 of 40

I'm on my 3rd Admiral and they've all had this problem. When a phone can't do the most basic things right (i.e. make phone calls), it's sad. 

I'm debating whether to take it in for a 4th replacement or contact Motorola. This is a pretty bad defect and as pointed out, can be dangerous if you need to contact 911, etc.

rendang
What's DOS?
Message 35 of 40

Well, I contacted Motorola and they suggested wiping the partition (which I already did with my 3rd i.e. current phone) and doing a factory reset (which I did at least 3 times on both my 1st and 2nd phone which had the same problem). 

The alternative is I can send it in for "repair" and pay $109 + taxes which when I consider to be a serious defect and flaw, I should not be required to do. They'll simply wipe the phone, run some tests and probably send it back to have the problem return within weeks as I've experienced after each factory reset done either by me or by the Sprint store. I can find a much better use of that $109 + taxes and it's to get a different phone from a different manufacturer.

Looks like I'm near the end of the road. Sucks because this is my first Motorola smartphone and my experience has left a bad taste in my mouth to the point I most likely will not consider another Motorola anytime soon. sad

hedofan
What's DOS?
Message 36 of 40

Well I finally figured out the solution to my Admiral problems.

It came off of my belt on an airline flight and was left on the plane.

The airline did find it and it was ultimately returned to me but not before I rushed out and bought a Kyocera Torque.

Of course the only real reason to have an Admiral was for the direct connect so that's why I got the Torque.

So far it's 10 times the phone of the Admiral.

Sorry, but Motorola blew this one and left us all with a crappy product.

rendang
What's DOS?
Message 37 of 40

hedofan said:

Well I finally figured out the solution to my Admiral problems.

It came off of my belt on an airline flight and was left on the plane.

The airline did find it and it was ultimately returned to me but not before I rushed out and bought a Kyocera Torque.

Of course the only real reason to have an Admiral was for the direct connect so that's why I got the Torque.

So far it's 10 times the phone of the Admiral.

Sorry, but Motorola blew this one and left us all with a crappy product.

View original

That made me laugh. So the solution is to get rid of the phone, got it! sad

I thought I was getting somewhere, I had contacted Motorola and they agreed to escalate the matter to the repair team and let me send the device in for repair as goodwill (although I'm not sure what can they repair if they don't have a fix for the issue) ... that was 4 days ago and I've not heard back so I guess the lag in the dialer is starting to spread to the repair / RMA process.

I'm honestly quite bummed. Dud phone, now dud customer service. No other way to sugar coat it.

AdmiralFan-1
Paper Tape
Message 38 of 40

I have had this same problem. I definitely did not have it when I first got the phone. I would guess it's been acting this way for around 9-10 months now. I used to love my phone, but now it's torture to use. 

I have nothing to back this up with, but to me it also *feels* like it has to do with tearing down and re-establishing data connections. I always wonder if Sprint "upgrading" all their towers to LTE could be affecting the network.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to try leaving Sprint. I'm going to try a GSM carrier, most likely T-Mobile. I haven't decided what phone yet; leaning toward Nexus 5 or Moto X.
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 39 of 40

AdmiralFan said:

I have had this same problem. I definitely did not have it when I first got the phone. I would guess it's been acting this way for around 9-10 months now. I used to love my phone, but now it's torture to use. 

I have nothing to back this up with, but to me it also *feels* like it has to do with tearing down and re-establishing data connections. I always wonder if Sprint "upgrading" all their towers to LTE could be affecting the network.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to try leaving Sprint. I'm going to try a GSM carrier, most likely T-Mobile. I haven't decided what phone yet; leaning toward Nexus 5 or Moto X.

View original

Understandable.

Both devices that interest you are definitely worth a look Smiley Happy

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
rendang
What's DOS?
Message 40 of 40

AdmiralFan said:

View original

If you get the Moto X, you can trade in your Admiral (or any used Admiral from Ebay/Craigslist) to get a $100 rebate from Motorola, since the Admiral never got Jelly Bean. That would make the Moto X free after your Admiral trade in Smiley Happy

Per http://www.mototradeup.com/:

To receive $100 back, you'll need to purchase your new smartphone first. Then mail us your used phone and valid proof-of-purchase (copy of receipt and UPC code), and we'll send you a $100 Motorola Visa Prepaid Card* within 6-8 weeks.

Moto X = Single band LTE, supports SVLTE (simultaneous voice and data over LTE), has always listening and active notifications, "almost" pure Google experience. Battery life is supposed to be really good. A lot of people have likened it to a phone that "just works"!

LG Nexus 5 = Triband LTE, no simultaneous voice and data, pure Google experience. Battery life seems to be mixed, leaning towards good.

Both phones do not have expandable microSD slot, also they have fixed backplates, so options for extended batteries may not be an option. However, they are state of the art and you can't go wrong with either if you want the latest and greatest  Smiley Happy

I'm personally considering the Galaxy S3 as well. It's only single band LTE and is a bit old, but it can still hold its ground based on specs. It is one of the few phones that supports simultaneous voice and data over both 3G and LTE which gives it an advantage over the newer devices. It also has a microSD slot, so you can add storage capacity. Accessores are cheap and plenty. It's currently on Ice Cream Sandwich but Jelly Bean update should be pushed out anytime soon. Not sure if it'll see Kit Kat but considering that it's a well supported by Cyanogenmod and other developers, so I expect to see a debloated CM 11 and other ROM options in its future. From what I've heard, Samsung's Touchwiz and all the bloatware slows the device down but it runs buttery smooth with CM 10.x (Jelly Bean).

I'm waiting to see what phones will be on sale for Black Friday as well.