Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jp0213x
Punch Card
Views: 1,099
Message 1 of 4

Admiral successor

Does anyone know if Motorola will release a successor for the Admiral this year? This phone has been out going on 2 years old and still hasn't been discontined by sprint. Hopefully we will see something new this year.

rendang
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 4

Re: Admiral successor

That is a very good question. Motorola Admiral was launched Oct 23rd, 2011. the device is about 1.5 years in.

Sprint contracts are typically 2 years (24 mos), with upgrade eligibility from month 20.

Launch day Admiral owners should basically be up for renewal as early as late June 2013.

As a first time Moto owner, the Admiral fell short of what it could have been.

Above all, it fails to work properly as a phone (on my 2nd Admiral, same problem with dialer lag, random reboots, random lagginess).

I don't need Direct Connect but if I did, I'm not sure if I'd go with a Moto Admiral successor or "try" my luck with a Kyocera Torque.

Moto Admiral didn't offer an upgrade path past Gingerbread despite being a newer device. They've pushed a couple of small updates along the way but it has not solved the main problems I've experienced with the Admiral. Sure they offer a rebate to purchase another Moto device but honestly, do I want to throw my money in to another device that may or may not be abandoned by Moto yet again?

Kyocera is launching with ICS but has explained that they are held back by QChat (engine behind Direct Connect) compatibility past ICS ... they will work on it as soon as QChat can run on Jelly Bean. At least that's better than Moto keeping mum and abandoning the Admiral 7 months past launch. Kyocera has a much larger battery, better specs and higher MIL spec. 

If I didn't need Direct Connect, there's so many other devices I'd look at. Definitely not a small "niche" phone that has no developer base, no expected upgrade path, etc especially if I'd be stuck with the same device for almost 2 years.

jp0213x
Punch Card
Message 3 of 4

Word of advice you might want to hold off on the Tourqe

Stay away from this phone for now, it has its issues right out of the box. I had to return mine a few weeks ago becuase of random shut downs. The sprint store I purchased the tourque from had the same issue with their displayed model. You have to pull the battery to get the phone back on. Using the phone for three days and having shut down on me a total of 5 times was unacceptable. Another problem I stumbled across , you loose the ability to manual switch from cdma to cdma/lte when you don't have DC acticvated on the account. In other words you need dc on the account if you want to control the 3g or 4g, without dc you have no choice. Hopefully Kyocera will fix this with a firmeware push. I made the mistake of buying this phone out right for $349 without a back up phone, which I sold on ebay. Spending an extra 10 bucks  so a normal feature can be added on the phone was pure insane.

I think the admiral is an ok stable phone, it just lacked RAM and cpu power. Its time for a refresh moto. Please make the successor with a bigger screen and at least 2 gigs of RAM. With today standards the cpu should be dual core and at least add a front facing camera.

rendang
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 4

Good to know about the Torque.

Unfortunately, my second Admiral is not as stable as yours, it has random reboots (at least once a day), experiences quite a bit of lag, problems with bluetooth, call delays, etc. I might need anohter visit to the store for them to wipe it and see what happens. I could wipe it myself but the repair store needs to do it and document it in case the problem comes back, to warrant further repair/replacement.