Did you mean: 
Highlighted
omega_drh
What's DOS?
Views: 839
Message 1 of 17

Android 4.0/ICS on Admiral

Hello!

I, like many other people, am a curious prospective Motorola Admiral customer. While many aspects of this phone are very appealing, it was announced after the debut of Android 4.0/ "Ice Cream Sandwich", so this leads to the obvious question of ICS support on the Admiral. While I understand it's not reasonable to expect ICS support right away, given the timelines of these things, I hope you can understand my reluctance to buy a phone that was essentially "end-of-life'd" before it hit the shelf, as far as being competitive software-wise with other phones that have officially announced ICS support.

So, can Motorola make an official commitment to potential buyers of the Admiral that it will receive an official update to Android 4.0 / "Ice Cream Sandwich"?

Thanks!

Mark_Emeritus Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 2 of 17

Re: Android 4.0/ICS on Admiral

@david

Thanks for your interest. Watch the Software Upgrade News Site for info. I'll try to post a comment here as well if Admiral is specifically called out.

Mark

Support Forums Manager

Mark
Former Employee
RADAR_MM
Punch Card
Message 3 of 17

The link provided is dead (error 404)

Moto Emeritus
Message 4 of 17

Fixed. Sorry!

Mark
Support Forums Manager 

Mark
Former Employee
omega_drh
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 17

I was very disappointed to see today that Motorola announced it's effectively decided to abandon the Admiral and its userbase less than seven months after releasing the product (though, I'd imagine the decision was actually made long ago). I hope that by not not even providing an upgrade to the version of Android that was released prior to the Admiral's retail availability, Motorola's message to current and potential customers is heard loud and clear: the relationship ends once your credit card clears from buying the phone.

While the Admiral had the potential to be a great phone, this should pretty much condemn it to failure, since anyone who knows anything will know better than to buy it now. And I, at least, now know not to ever buy another Motorola phone and expect anything more than whatever software it ships with.

SprintAdmiral
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 17

Wow basically starting to think you are correct. They really dont care about how it performs once it is released.  They only care about rushing as many phones out without testing them as they can and if they start messing up just come out with a different phone. For example the Motorola I1 could have been a nice phone, the excuse then was its an Iden phone and couldnt be upgraded.  Then came the Titanium again could have been a great phone but we got the old Iden speech again.  Now we have the Admiral (Sprint CDMA) its not Iden but still we get abandoned.  Thank You so much Motorola!

JB_Jr
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 17

Oh look, the software news page has been updated...

So this is pathetic news Yell I can promise that this is the last Motorola phone I buy. I'll just go back to HTC as they actually update their current devices. The past 3 Motorolas I've had were outdated and stayed outdated. To think this is the same company that had massive hits like the bagphone, 1st flip phone, then the StarTAC... Motorola has turned into one pathetic company.

ADMIRAL

Will remain on Android 2.3. 

What happened to "Evaluation & Planning. Further details to follow"??????????? This is a Sprint phone, not Nextel, so shutting down the network and thus discontinuing the phone isn't an excuse this time.

Mark? We want answers.

chud
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 17

Jr said:

Oh look, the software news page has been updated...

So this is pathetic news Yell I can promise that this is the last Motorola phone I buy. I'll just go back to HTC as they actually update their current devices. The past 3 Motorolas I've had were outdated and stayed outdated. To think this is the same company that had massive hits like the bagphone, 1st flip phone, then the StarTAC... Motorola has turned into one pathetic company.

ADMIRAL

Will remain on Android 2.3. 

What happened to "Evaluation & Planning. Further details to follow"??????????? This is a Sprint phone, not Nextel, so shutting down the network and thus discontinuing the phone isn't an excuse this time.

Mark? We want answers.

That is your answer right there, this phone will follow thw same path as the I1, no updates, no unlocked bootloaders, developers are going to drop GB just like Cupcake, you'll have to buy another phone before your upgrade is up.

Mark? We want answers.

AdmiralRick
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 17

You know, the last time I posted people thought I was too hard on the forum manager for the lack of real infomration provided. --unnecessary comment removed--. ANd now y'all realized you have been deceived. Not only is the Admiral outdated, Motorola is outdated. The company is virtually obsolete.

Thanks for dragging everyone along forum manager.

Hey Moto! 

At least open up the code so that we can take care of ourselves.

--Personal Attack removed in accordance with house rules. Edited by Mark (Forums Manager) [1]

Moto Emeritus
Message 10 of 17

We work very closely with Google and our carrier partners to bring our consumers the best possible experience on each of our devices.  This means we must ensure that all upgrades enhance device functionality and provide an overall improved experience; if that is not the case, then we make the decision not to upgrade that particular device.

Information contained on the Software Upgrade News Site is provided by the Software Team.

Mark
Support Forums Manager

Mark
Former Employee