Philippines

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 11 of 29

Re: Regarding Motorola Service/Support and Warranty

2013-06-21, 14:13 PM

greg said:

my story rma819791. i bought a new non contract xt910 they did an ota software push  from 4.04 ics to 4.1.2 jb and it crashed my phone. i did a data wipe cache wipe and root factory reset...no help. the gave me a rma sent the phone on may 31 have verification it was delivered to its texas repair station june 5. never logged in lost. also i have a xt 912 and they crossed the serial numbers. i have called the service repair center six times with no resolution. they cant find the phone, they are asking me for the 910 serial number (wasnt on the motorola box). motorola bricked it, lost it and seems not honoring their warranty. buyers beware their service is less than stellar

greg

View original

Checking the status, sorry about this.. 

Options

19232 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2362 Signins

58302 Page Views

• Views: 58302
  • Message 12 of 29

2013-06-21, 14:51 PM

Greg, I see you contacted our folks yesterday and things appear to be moving forward. Let us know if anything appears to stall. 

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

9 Posts

06-20-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 13 of 29

2013-06-21, 18:47 PM

so here is the update on the story. they found the phone, it is under warranty but they cannot repair it because they do not have access to the australian firmware that is on the rom chip. they are returning the phone to me so i can ship it to australia for repair. any tech savy customer would know that the firmare zip file is readily available on the internet, the rom can be reflashed and jelly bean 4.1.2 can be reinstalled to correct the problem. if i do it i void the warranty (have to root the phone)  as i said before 1. they broke the phone with a released over the air software push 2. it is under warranty (which they wont honor in this country) it appears this international company has customer service borders 3. they hung onto the phone so long i cannot return it to the seller. i stand by my original statement that their customer service is less than stellar.  buyers beware of factory warranties with sales that originate in foreign countries.

Options

19232 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2362 Signins

58302 Page Views

• Message 14 of 29

2013-06-21, 19:28 PM

It sounded from your previous post that you had already rooted the phone. That kind of makes sense if an update broke the device, since non-rooted phones would not have a problem. And of course, we can't pull software off the Internet to flash our devices. 

Greg, what would you consider a good resolution?

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

9 Posts

06-20-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 15 of 29

2013-06-21, 19:47 PM

no the phone was brand new and not rooted. the upgrade was an ota push of 4.1.2 jelly bean prompted in the software  upgrade settings. the repair station said the wrong version of jelly bean was pushed to the phone and they did not have the soft ware to reinstall the firmware which would be the au version and the 4.1.2  austrailian/nz jelly bean release. now i was born at night but not last night your telling me the american repair technicians dont have access to the eu or au motorola firmare zip files  where they can do a factory restore from the sd card slot or use rsd lite. i purposely did not touch root or jail break the phone because it was under warranty. they have given me the australian repair number and told me to send it there. you have an international phone without international  repair warranty service.

Options

9 Posts

06-20-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 16 of 29

2013-06-21, 20:09 PM

matt

proper consumer resolution would be to repair or replace not have the customer fix the phone himself or try to track the warranty half way around the globe. fix is to manually overwrite the phone with the correct software. motorola  repair technicians should be capable of doing that regardless of which chip set or firmare version is on the phone.

greg

Options

19232 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2362 Signins

58302 Page Views

• Message 17 of 29

2013-06-24, 16:52 PM

So, two things.

It's basically impossible to push the wrong software to a phone -- I have literally never heard of it and I've been part of updates to millions and millions of Android devices. But let's put that aside.

I kind of agree with you on the resolution. As an organization we do want to be able to provide support for our devices across borders and oceans. We're not really set up for that now -- phones are currently supported in the regions where they are sold. We certainly try to help where we can, but we don't currently put global software in all of our repair depots. But again, full global support is our goal. Let me see what I can do.

Options

9 Posts

06-20-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 18 of 29

2013-06-24, 18:57 PM

matt

honestly it was a new phone i received on may 28th. it was working fine on ics 4.04. i got the notice that there was a software upgrade to jelly bean. when it completed. i lost my start up graphics and could not hear the ear piece on recieve phone calls (audio jack and blooth tooth would work for telephone conversations). i have seen other complaints of the pushes have bugs in it. it is just going to be very difficult for me to send the phone all the way to australia for them to reinstall the software. any help would be appreciated. i have not received the phone back as yet from the repair center in texas

greg

Options

19232 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2362 Signins

58302 Page Views

• Message 19 of 29

2013-06-24, 20:45 PM

I finally figured out what's at issue here and I'm kind of at a loss. Correct me if I have these details wrong.

You own an Droid RAZR Maxx built for the Australian market. This is a GSM phone, which is why you are able to use it on Straight Talk.

All U.S. RAZR Maxx devices are Verizon Droids -- and those are CDMA phones and Straight Talk can't take them. So I can't replace your phone with a U.S. RAZR Maxx -- that was my thought -- if you want to use Straight Talk as your carrier.

I don't know where you purchased it or why you decided to go with an Australian phone. There is no warranty for it outside of Australia but I would try and help anyway if I could. But at this point I can't fix it and I can't replace it like-for-like. 

Any ideas?

Options

9 Posts

06-20-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 20 of 29

2013-06-24, 21:39 PM

matt

thats correct. xt 912 is cdma primary radio receiver  with firmware that wont recognize american gsm carriers but will  recognize world gsm carriers (have one of those)and my xt 910 gsm only  happens to be an australian model. if it was canadian it would be a rogers i think. two or three european models depending what bloatware they have installed french or british. if you google xt910 for sale both target and walmart are selling them in the united states. not sure which model which firmware base they are using. i bought mine on ebay from an outlet store with an advertised factory warranty. had no idea it was australian or that the warranty wouldnt be honored in this country. ideas i am hoping your repair station didnt brick it. i guess i will root the phone, use rsd lite reinstall the firmware and recover the the jelly bean 4.1.2 from the root recovery mode and a zip file on the micro sd. that is the recommendation on the xda developers forum. i am a noobie when it comes to tweeking phones and besides that will void any warranty. i have more confidence i can fix it than mailing it all the way to australia for a fix. its a shame consumers are promised a product to the american market with a warranty (what about walmart and target) but cannot get service. motorola has some good products but you lose customers like me when you intentionally try to make equipment proprietary to carriers (xt912 not sim locked but radiofirmare is writtent to ignore american carriers), personnel are not aware of product differences and an international company cannot honor a warranty regardless of where the phone was purchased or originated. i think motorola needs to improve their product description, educate their employees as to what is offered and covered and stop venders from selling in markets where the product is not supported. thanks for listening. i will let you know if i am successful in repairing the phone when i get it

greg

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete