Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA ATRIX™ HD
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

08-17-2012

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 10

AtrixHD wifi on & connected, unable to send text.

2012-08-17, 7:13 AM

When I have the wifi on and connected to a network, (public, work or home). The wifi signal icon is on and blue, but the 4Glte icon disappears and my signal bars are white, and i can browse the web and my apps all seem to work normally without using my data plan but i am unable to send a text message.  When i recieve a text message, it useally anywhere from 5 to as much as 40 minutes later than sent. I can resend it numerous times and it will not go through. I turned the phone off and back on leaving the wifi turned on and sometimes i can resend it and it will go through but most of the time i have to turn the wifi off and everything will go through as normal... I have all signal bars when this happens, they are just white or lt grey in color and the 4g icon is gone when it acts up.When the wifi is on but not connected to a network everything works as it should as far as texting and the apps use my data plan.

Options

4825 Posts

03-15-2011

US

19 Signins

269 Page Views

• Views: 269
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: AtrixHD wifi on & connected, unable to send text.

2012-08-17, 10:55 AM

I had the same issue many times, but I was not able to correlate it to WiFi use. Does this happen no matter where you are (even if you travel) when WiFi is enabled?
As for the icon color, text messages are always sent via cellular radio, not WiFi, but the color of the icon (blue) means that is the data link being used to connect to Google's services. So the color of the "bars" for your cellular reception is the only important thing when sending a text, the color of the bars does not matter.

The reason the 4G/LTE icon disappears when you are on WiFi is the Atrix HD is not using the cellular packet data network. This sounds more like a network issue than an Atrix issue.

When I am in NYC for example, where the network is heavily loaded, I have the same problems as you. If I am in Miami, Virginia, or other places, I do not. 

Options

2733 Posts

03-08-2010

United States

1 Signins

4 Page Views

• Views: 4
  • Message 3 of 10

2012-08-18, 6:13 AM

I have tried to reproduce this problem and was unable to do so. I agree that this sounds like a network issue. Is it always reproducible or is it related to the immediate surroundings of your home?

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 4 of 10

2012-08-19, 3:16 AM

Do you have an LTE sim card? If not, you should get one.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

5594 Posts

06-17-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 5 of 10

2012-08-19, 3:18 AM

I have tried this with and without an LTE USIM and it doesn't make any difference; it still works. Which SMS client are you using?

Delayed text messages are usually a sign of misconfiguration or network saturation. 

Edit; as for the WiFi indicator being blue with the signal bars being white, this is a design element of the new ICS skin. In AOSP both are blue when a data connection is present and able to connect to Google services, grey when unable to connect or not present. The MotoUI seems to put emphasis on which is connected, showing you the mobile data is no longer connected by turning just the bars grey. This behavior is present on the RAZR as well.

Options

6 Posts

08-17-2012

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2012-08-30, 13:19 PM

I do have an LTE sim card, but not sure on the SMS client. How can I find out about the SMS client. I have a bone stock atrix hd on an at&t network. I still have the same problem of not getting texts until I turn the wifi off, then i get several at the same time, useally about 30 sec to 2 min later, and they all have the time stamp like i would have gotten them without a problem ( all different time stamps, and not when i actually got them. so if i had my wifi on for say an hour, my time stamps will have all with in that hour but i wont actually get the messages until i turn the wifi off an hour later) and so far it doesnt make a difference on where i am or time of day. I dont travel out of town much but i do move around town alot.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 7 of 10

2012-08-30, 15:02 PM

If you leave wifi off for the day, do texts come in on time all the time?

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

6 Posts

08-17-2012

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2012-08-31, 3:33 AM

Alpha Dog, yes as long as the wifi is off everything works as it should. I try to leave the wifi off unless i am downloading something uploading something or checking emails that have alot of graphics. and sometimes i forget to turn it off and when i do turn it off i get several texts and the time stamps are when i would normally get them, that part is what i dont understand about. its like the phone gets them but they dont appear till the wifi is off???!! i have checked and unchecked all of the hot spot stuff and smart actions and anything else that might be related to the wifi connection, and still the same thing, wifi on and connected results in no texts till it disconnects from the wifi. And when i talk to AT&T about it, i get the canned answer of they are having trouble with the network/towers in my area, and i explained that this is a big area, dallas ftworth metroplex, and it has been happening all over town and for a while now. So i just live with it till i can figure out what fixes it. i even did a factory data reset, just in case something got changed unknowingly. 

Options

6 Posts

08-17-2012

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2012-08-31, 3:37 AM

and sometimes a text message fails to send with wifi off , but i get a network busy message that is quick to disappear and when i resend it, it goes right through...but that i dont have a problem with.

Options

2 Posts

09-01-2012

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2012-09-01, 2:08 AM

I think the issue you're seeing is that when you have your wifi connected, it disconnects from the cellular data network and leaves only enough connection for voice usage.  I expected this behavior as it is exactly the same way my old Flipside worked, in fact I use this very behavior to reduce my data plan usage until I get an idea exactly how much data I will use as now I'm on a limited data plan compared to the unlimited one I had with T-mobile.

When you have a data connection, the bars for your signal strength will be blue, and you will get an indicator for 4G and 4GLTE next to the bars if either of those radios managed to connect to the network.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete