Options

36 Posts

12-25-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 3

Incorrect Information in Unlock Bootloader FAQS?

2012-08-20, 20:15 PM

THE STRING "fastboot oem get_unlock_data" DOES NOT RETURN ANY DEVICE ID. WHY?

The bootloader on Motorola devices released before August 2012 is not unlockable. This fastboot command will not return a device ID or unlock data for these Motorola devices. At this point, only the devices on our Supported Devices list are eligible for the unlockable bootloader program.

HOW DO I TELL IF MY DEVICE HAS AN UNLOCKABLE/RE-LOCKABLE BOOTLOADER?

This depends on a few factors. First is whether the device ships with a bootloader that is capable of being unlocked or re-locked. Second is whether the wireless carrier that sells the device allows the bootloader to be unlocked, as each of our operator partners has their own policy. As new devices are released, please check the bootloader introduction page. You will be able to check whether your device shipped with an unlockable bootloader. We will be adding devices to this list regularly.

As of August 2012, the only Motorola devices which can be unlocked are:

• Photon Q 4G LTE (Sprint)

• RAZR Developer Edition (Europe Only)

• XOOM

Now above what I have bolded are my areas of concern. In particular, the second quote:

First is whether the device ships with a bootloader that is capable of being unlocked or re-locked.

The Motorola Atrix HD has indeed shipped with a bootloader that is capable of being unlocked or re-locked. It supports the exact same commands as the Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE does, the commands of:

fastboot oem unlock

fastboot oem get_unlock_data

fastboot oem lock

This device fits that exact definition. Running a strings.exe runthrough of the bootloader from the Atrix HD shows that it indeed supports these commands, and anyone with this device and the android-sdk can run these commands themselves. The part where the unlocking process is stuck is the Motorola "Unlock My Device" webkit, where the results of "fastboot oem get_unlock_data" were pasted into the box to get the emailed UNIQUE_KEY to put into "fastboot oem unlock [ unlock code ] " as the same process is the Photon Q 4G LTE. The site comes up with this error:

As you can see, we can assume the second half of the "few factors" as the faq pointed out:

Second is whether the wireless carrier that sells the device allows the bootloader to be unlocked, as each of our operator partners has their own policy.

Assuming this, it is then AT&T's decision that the Motorola Atrix HD has a locked bootloader, but the device DOES support unlocking and re-locking, contrary to the first quote in this post from their faq about devices before August 2012 NOT supporting these functions.

The bootloader on Motorola devices released before August 2012 is not unlockable.

So my question is, will this information be able to get corrected, or is Motorola planning to make an announcement that the Motorola Atrix HD will not be unlocked because of AT&T, but that the hardware and software actually support unlocking and re-locking?

Options

4825 Posts

03-15-2011

US

19 Signins

269 Page Views

• Views: 269
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Incorrect Information in Unlock Bootloader FAQS?

2012-08-20, 21:23 PM

I think the statement is clear in its intent - the Atrix HD was issued before August 2012, so regardless of whether the SW or the politics is preventing it from having an unlocked bootloader, it is clearly not on the supported list, which is consistent with your attempt.

I might also point out that simply because the base ROM has the commands programmed into it doesn't mean it will function.

I was not specifically aware that you could get this far with the AHD, I never tried it because it was always my understanding that the bootloader could not be unlocked. I appreciate you taking the time to document the process.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Incorrect Information in Unlock Bootloader FAQS?

2012-08-21, 1:24 AM

I want to add that the part you didn't bold is quite clear:

As of August 2012, the only Motorola devices which can be unlocked are:

• Photon Q 4G LTE (Sprint)

• RAZR Developer Edition (Europe Only)

• XOOM

I see no ambiguity in this statement, so I don't see any reason for a correction.There is another statement that the list will be updated, and one more that mentions the Wireless carrier selling the device has a say in this.  So this is not a binary yes/no equation. A number of things must be true in order to satisfy the critieria mentioned.

Will things change? I have no way of no knowing. But if you only read part of the FAQ and ignore the simple information that I copied above, then you will probably get very frustrated.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete