Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wamsille
What's DOS?
Views: 659
Message 11 of 24

Re: Atrix HD How do I transfer apps to SD card

Atrix HD owner here.  Overall I'm happy with the device but the implementation of internal versus external storage makes this device extremely unattractive.  8 GB on board storage with only 4 GB accessible by the user?  It doesn't take much to fill up those 4 GB and once you hit ~700 MB you get low storage space warnings.  Many apps are looking for an SD card to store applications to - but they can't because the 4 GB is listed on the device as an SD card.  The microSD is 'External 1'. 

Motorola - you really need to pick up the pace and enable moving apps to the SD card.  At this point I'm willing to risk voiding my warranty and causing damage to my device to flip internal and external storage so Android sees my 32 GB card as the internal storage.  The only widget I use on my home screen is the circles widget.  I have had to stop gaming on my Android device because of the storage issue.  I'm afraid to put anything on the phone for fear I will bust through internal storage and there won't be any apps released that allow me to change the storage location without rooting. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 12 of 24

Why are you blaming Motorola? Every phone is now this way. I think it stinks but thats the way it is. My Samsung Note 2 comes with 16Gbs internal memory and I have a 64Gb card in it. Its an Android issue in general.
wamsille
What's DOS?
Message 13 of 24

Actually, when I remove the 32 GB microSD card from my device any of the applications I have downloaded and installed through the marketplace disappear and only reappear after the card has been inserted and properly mounted.  The functionality is still in there and should be allowed to be used.  There are many things inside the Atrix HD that were once in ICS and/or should have been accessible from day one that were taken out of the final Jelly Bean OTA.  I can live with a lot of things, but the storage restriction is insane considering many applications can easily be 1 GB on their own.  Games, yes, but if we have bought into Google's ecosystem we should be able to use the apps we purchased and expand the memory of our devices.  

I miss Gingerbread....

Mn3kgtvr4
What's DOS?
Message 14 of 24

Seriously dissapointed in this.  One of the reasons I chose the HD over the One X is because of the SD availability.  This is a Google issue - go to any S3 forum and they've got the same complaint.  Would think there would be a workaround available, though.

whitefox
What's DOS?
Message 15 of 24

Is it possible to download and install an older operating system that has this capability?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 16 of 24

You would really need to mod the phone to get that to work if your lucky. We cant discuss modding on this site. And there is no older  OS that the HD had that had apps to SD. I really don't like it this way myself. I got an HTC one x+ with a 64Gb internal so I wont have the limited space that this change has caused.

jlvlaw
What's DOS?
Message 17 of 24

Motorola and Google missed the boat on not allowing storage of apps to SD.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 18 of 24

With the release of any phones starting with at least ICS the Android OS does no longer allow apps to SD. The Atrix 2 started with GB and was upgraded to ICS. That phone as well as other manufacturers phone that fit this description will move apps. Now all new phones do not let you move apps to SD. Thats the main reason that internal memory is important more now. My HTC one x+ has 64 GB of internal memory, which I love all the space. Its not Motorola's fault but just the OS itself. I do find the lack of internal memory on my HD to be a slight pain, but its a stable phone in all. I use the HTC for games and such since there is plenty of room.
Motorolaman
What's DOS?
Message 19 of 24

If I remember correctly after reading a few articles on the matter, it's not native to ICS (and Jelly Bean) to move apps to the SD card. I know that Samsung has an update for the S4 to allow apps to be moved to the SD card. 

macgiobuin1
Token Ring
Message 20 of 24

What's the chance of Motorola providing a similar update, allowing the apps to be used/stored from the SD card? I know Canada's Atrix HDs recently received an update to 4.2.2. Does this update provide this capability?