Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rissaxx
What's DOS?
Views: 699
Message 1 of 9

Atrix HD not turning on, no LED light

A couple days ago, my phone started acting weird. It was fine after I woke up for about 2 hours and then it wouldn't let me navigate anywhere. It kept getting pop ups saying things like "Unfortunately, Maps has stopped working", "Unfortunately, Homescreen has stopped working." ect. Basically, everything stopped working. So I tried to power it off to reboot it and see if that would help any but instead, it just completely shut off and wouldn't come on at all. There was no LED light when plugged in, nothing. 

I took it to AT&T to see if they could do anything and they were useless. All they did was plug it in, try to turn it on & that was it. They told me everything that I had already tried. I have insurance on it but frankly, $100+ deductible isn't worth it especially with AT&T since my contract is up next month and I'll be getting out. So I just went back to my old basic phone for the time being.

Fast forward to today, I decided to mess with it a little. I plugged it into my laptop. Still no LED light & no changes. I held down the power, volume down and volume up keys and after a few seconds my laptop started making the "ding" sound it makes when I plug anything into it & it would only stop once I let go of the keys. I don't know if that means there is still some life in my phone somewhere or what but I'm hopeful.

Is there anything else I can do? I'm pretty lost without my phone since I use it throughout the day to check work messages and whatnot, which I can't do in a timely matter on my basic phone since it takes forever to do anything on it.

EDIT:

The green charging light just came in while still plugged into my laptop but turned off when I tried to turn it on.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 9

Re: Atrix HD not turning on, no LED light

It probably didn't have enough power to turn on.  Let it charge int he USB port for 5 hours or so before you try (thinking that USB charging is a lot slower than the wall).

Could your phone have taken a jolt of electricity?  Lightning storm?  Power outage?

Rissaxx
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 9

crystallet said:

It probably didn't have enough power to turn on.  Let it charge int he USB port for 5 hours or so before you try (thinking that USB charging is a lot slower than the wall).

Could your phone have taken a jolt of electricity?  Lightning storm?  Power outage?

View original

Okay. I had it on the wall charger for a few hours the first time this happened and nothing so I'll try again. The light still hasn't come on again since.

Not that I can think of. I was using it it when it happened. I stopped using it for a few minutes and when I went back to it, that's when it all started happening. We haven't had any power outages or storms lately.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 9

Did you download anything?  An app?  Something else?

Rissaxx
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 9

crystallet said:

Did you download anything?  An app?  Something else?

View original

Nope. The last thing I did was transfer my photos to my laptop like I do every month since the majority of them are pictures of my son.

I have it plugged into my wall charger now and noticed that if I hold down all 3 buttons again, the green LED light will flash as long as I'm holding them down. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 9

first thing (just to rule it out) take the battery out and put it on a flat surface, try to spin it. What you're looking for is that the battery stops quickly. If it spins like a top, it means the battery is bad. 

If the battery is good, plug it into the wall charger for a few hours and try to start it. Give me a minute and I'll get back to you with how to start in safe mode

*the search bar is your friend*
-This is a peer to peer support forum, MOTOXPRTs are volunteers, not Motorola employees
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 7 of 9

ok, safe mode.

press and hold power, and then volume up. release both when the phone vibrates. That should boot you into safe mode. (disables all 3rd party apps)

*the search bar is your friend*
-This is a peer to peer support forum, MOTOXPRTs are volunteers, not Motorola employees
Rissaxx
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 9

I was told not to remove the battery because that voids the insurance (if I choose to use it) since the phone is not made to have the battery taken out.

But nothing happens when I hold power and volume up. The led light doesn't even come on with that one.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 9 of 9

I had my Atrix HD shut down and not boot one time. Charging it via a a car charger would not work. The only solution was to plug it into the Moto wall charger for a few hours. It came back to life and was fine ever since. 

I seemed to have similar behavior as you - I had to just walk away and let it charge for a long time.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum