Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA ATRIX™ 2
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

10-17-2012

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 6

A2 w/GB, Why do these apps keep running?

2012-11-21, 17:00 PM

I am still running gingerbread on my A2. My battery life got much shorter a couple months ago and I've been trying to get it back ever since. I am looking at running services and there are some apps I dont understand why they're running. Specifically: Maps, Music, and Social Networking. I have never set-up or used my phone for Social Networking. There is a SN widget on one screen, but I have never opened it.

I have used Maps, and the Music-FM radio a few times, but I thought I'd turned them all off!  I have tried to force close them from the running services list, but they just come back!

I regularly turn my phone off overnight, so I dont understand why these things keep running! Is there a way to stop this?

I dont want to un-install these apps (can you? - they came with the phone.) How do I turn these things OFF!  Thanks.

Options

408 Posts

03-24-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: A2 w/GB, Why do these apps keep running?

2012-11-21, 17:18 PM

JoeMomma,

It sounds like you aren't turning off GPS location.  If you're using maps or other location-connected apps like the YP phonebook and others then you must turn off GPS location services or that will burn your battery even though you've logged out of and shut down the apps that depend on it.

I don't use GPS services for exactly that reason...EVER.  First, because I hate broadcasting my location to anyone at all and second because of the drain it is on the battery.  Most, if not all, location-connected services provide a way to manually enter your location and that's what I do.

Call me old-fashioned or anything else but that's my solution.  Try this technique:  At your Home Screen tap the Menu link at the lower left below the actual screen, choose System Settings from the choices that appear and a long menu will appear of core system settings, scroll down until you come to Location services and tap it.  At location services there are three boxes to check or uncheck.  I keep them all unchecked and it adds anywhere from 6 to 12 hours to my battery cycle depending on how busy I am.

Options

15 Posts

08-14-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 3 of 6

2012-11-22, 6:43 AM

I too have seen this as well with a number of apps, both pre- loaded and downloaded including media players, maps and others right after bootup. Also there are a number system apps like BT DUN and others that consist of zero bytes - cache, data, and the app itself consist of nothing and in the app manager shows them as running. How is the OS using these? The only difference is I updated to ICS.

Options

13219 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

1407 Signins

8945 Page Views

• Views: 8945
  • Message 4 of 6

2012-11-22, 11:28 AM

Here is a great article from Android Central that helps explain things in more detail. http://www.androidcentral.com/ram-what-it-how-its-used-and-why-you-shouldnt-care

I hope it clears things up for all.smiley

Options

7 Posts

10-17-2012

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2012-11-22, 17:57 PM
Thanks, that was an interesting article. I feel much better about the 'running' apps now. However, this still doesn't explain the sudden drop in battery endurance. I use to be able to go two full days and still had 20-30% left when I put it on the charger at the end of day 2. Now, I have 40-60% at the end of the first day, and it will NOT make it to the end of a second day. I have resigned to putting it on the charger every night. BTW, I am not a 'power' user. Phone idle and cell standby are typically 80% or more of where my battery is going. Seems like it should last longer under this type of usage. So, is there anything I can do? Or do I just have to live with this?
Options

13219 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

1407 Signins

8945 Page Views

• Views: 8945
  • Message 6 of 6

2012-11-22, 19:59 PM

I charge my phone while there on overnight as well. I have always done this since I'm on call all the time. You could try a new Sim card first since my biggest battery killer of mine is bad cell signals or Sims. Then you can try a factory reset and last a new battery. I get a good work day from my phones under heavy use. Turning the GPS off is also a great way to save battery power if you don't need it on, same goes for wifi and blue tooth. If you don't need it on turn it off. With ICS I use the Smart actions app to control when they are turned on and off automatically.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms