Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m_six
What's DOS?
Views: 2,571
Message 1 of 8

D below the 3G symbol

I've searched around for the answer to this and came up with just guesses. Can someone tell me what the D symbol that appears below the 3G on my Citrus means? I've read it *could* mean that the 3G is Dormant. Is that correct?

firedude52
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 8

Re: D below the 3G symbol

I believe what you are referring to as far as the "D" is that you are receiving a Digital signal from the carrier. You may be at times not in a Digital area yet you'll still receive the 3G. Several factors involved. you may have left a Digital coverage area of the carrier has issues with it's Digital network or tower etc. As long as the 3G symbol is shown you data (3G) is still working fine. The Digital part refers to the phone calling pat of the phones operation. It's a good thing if the "D" is present ;-)

Tony

1of7627
Bit Torrent
Message 3 of 8

The "D" symbol is for "Data" and indicates if data is being synced over the cell network.  It isn't related to the signal type or strength (3G or 1X, etc.).  I see it most often on my Citrus during e-mail sync (which happens on 1X most often in the concrete bunker I work in).  The "D" is just informative rather than a warning, unless you don't want data to sync over the cell system and want to limit it to WiFi only.  If you turn off Background Data in the Settings menu (under Data Manager), the "D" won't come on indicating no data transfer over the cell network.

Note"  Tony, it's great to see you're still here.  It gets a little lonely on the Citrus forum at times.  Hope all is well. - MarkC

firedude52
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 8

Mark, thanks for clarifying that! On most my other phones it "D" relates to a digital signal in most cases. On a side note yes the Citrus forum has been very quiet. Not sure why. The fact none of the official Moto guys ever responded to my question on just what that update was we got kind of turned me off a bit making it quite evident they place little to no priority on the Citrus nor its forum :-(

I do check in regularly though. All I'm hearing right now is all the hoopla about Verizon coming out with the IPhone next month. With such a limited number of members here makes me think the Citrus sales may not have been what they expected so there is not much emphasis being put on it. I love the phone actually. It's been sold way to short by all the biased reviews comparing them with the big daddy's and unfairly so. We've found many work around's here between us that would have otherwise gone undetected and has been great!

I just wish they'd upgrade to Froyo and I believe it would solve a lot of issues. If the sales bottomed out I doubt that will ever happen as Moto told some of the IT leaders it would at some point. All we can do is go with the flow however the absence of the official Moto folks here and my unanswered question kind of takes the wind out of the sail.If it hadn't been for you and a few of us there wouldn't even be a Citrus forum as the Moto guys are never here.

Tony

m_six
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for that, Mark. Makes perfect sense now that think of it. The D doesn't show up when I'm at home and using Wifi because the data is being sync'd by the Wifi. All fits in to place now.

BTW, I've had this phone for just a couple of days and it's been ok till just now. I just finished my first long phone call and when I went to end the call, the screen was black and I couldn't get it to respond at all. Then it rebooted and came up with No Service. Then it connected to VZW and then spontaneously rebooted again. Seems fine now, but I hope that doesn't keep happening.

1of7627
Bit Torrent
Message 6 of 8

m_six, keep tabs on the unwanted reboots.  Have you installed any large apps or anything resource intensive (or a real time app like a weather bug or something that updates itself constantly)?  Loaded anything of consequence on the SD card?  If not and the reboots persist, you might have the store check it out or give Verizon support a call (if you got it online) before your 30 days go by.  I've heard of very few problems with neat little phone. 

Over the last couple of years, I've had an original Motorola Droid and now a Droid 2.  And, the Citrus does everything most people need without the investment or overhead.  I only use a fraction of what the Droid 2 does and the Citrus is full featured, smaller and lighter without feeling like a toy.  I agree with Tony that an OS upgrade would be very effective.  I just hope that's down the road.   Take care. - MarkC

m_six
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 8

MarkC,

The only thing I've installed is Touchdown for Android because the native email app would not connect to our Exchange Server. The Exchange admins say the version of the email app included with the phone has an update that will make it work, but I haven't been able to find it. No big deal, though. Touchdown is working very well.

1of7627
Bit Torrent
Message 8 of 8

m_six, I use Touchdown on my D2 and very much like it.  But, the corporate mail app on the Citrus only works via OWA (Outlook Web Access) and doesn't do push directly with an Exchange server.  We have an Exchange server at work and I sync with it on my D2 with Touchdown.  We also have OWA implemented and I connected successfully to it with the Citrus and was pleased (and surprised) at how well it worked.  It was fine for routine retrieval of e-mail, but it's hard to beat a full featured Exchange app like Touchdown.  Can't imagine it would have anything to do with your reboots.  Glad to hear it works well on your Citrus. - MarkC