Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eric126
What's DOS?
Views: 1,683
Message 1 of 5

External mic....

I put the uStrem app on my Citrus and turned it into a webcam of sorts. Works surprisingly well. The video is a little choppy, but it streams live to my channel just fine. My question is about the audio. I'd like to boost the volume going to the stream - I'm wondering if the 3.5mm jack will accept an external mic, or if anyone knows of a mic that's jacked the same as the USB input on the phone. Thanks!

1of7627
Bit Torrent
Message 2 of 5

Re: External mic....

eric, I've not tried this as all my experimentation has been with BlueTooth headsets, but my feelings are that a wired headset with a mike would work.  (I've got one at home and I'll give it a try tonight.)  I'm sceptical this would do what you need it to for video recording, though.  I'll see if there's anything I can find and post back. - MarkC

eric126
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 5

I'm wondering if that's what I'm going to have to do, Mark. What I need is to move the audio pickup from the phone, which is about three feet away, closer to me - specifically to pick up my guitar more clearly that the built-in mic does at that distance. I was going to try it with a borrowed headset mic but it was 2.5mm...Smiley Happy I know Radio Shack used to sell small mics with a 3.5mm plug, I wonder if that would work. Seems that if the jack accepts audio input from one source (headset mic) it would from a small handheld. Anyway, thanks for the assist, Mark!

1of7627
Bit Torrent
Message 4 of 5

Eric, I have a couple of 2.5mm headsets that I tried on my Citrus using a 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor and neither worked (at all, even for calls).  I think it's just a question of finding the right headset.  I've browsed through a lot of Google searches on external microphones and there's no one single consesus as to what works or not.  I saw a reference someone blogged about using an app that accessed an external headset mic when the phone's native camcorder app wouldn't, but I couldn't find any app on the Appbrain.com site that specifically mentioned it.  I've got a couple of AV guys at work and I'll ask them if they've done similar things. - MarkC

eric126
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 5

I've had trouble with going from 2.5 to 3.5 before, with a Samsung Intensity. When I'd jack it into the line-in on the deck in my truck to use it as an mp3 player, it'd only send mono, and only to the right side. Tried a couple of adapters, same thing. I called the Verizon store I got the Citrus at and talked to someone who talked to the tech desk, they said a headset mic should work no prob. Guess there's more trial and error afoot...Smiley Happy