Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA CITRUS™
All Forum Topics
Options

79 Posts

12-05-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 9

Citrus and Videos

2010-12-09, 20:57 PM

OK, got my new cool stereo headphones and transferred a short video I had made (wmv) and while the tile screen of the movie shows fine when I hit the play button it says "Error: Cannot be displayed or played". Any help here? am I restricted to certain types of video files or is there an app I need to play wmv movie files? Thanks in advance, I'm plugging away here ....

Tony

Answer
Options

1717 Posts

11-12-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0

Re: Citrus and Videos

2010-12-09, 21:50 PM

Tony, according to my spec sheet, the Citrus supports MP4, H.263 and H.264.  WMV's are not supported.  That being said, take a look at this app that supports WMV's.  It's call arcMedia and the appbrain sheet on it is here:  http://www.appbrain.com/app/arcmedia/sns.arcMedia.playerInterface.arm6

I haven't tried this on my Citrus, but it does work on my Droid2.  If you have different file types, there are free convertors on the web that many have used.  - MarkC

(PS - I have three seasons of "The IT Crowd" in MP4 loaded on my D2 and they work great!)

Replies(8)
Answer
Options

1717 Posts

11-12-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 2 of 9

2010-12-09, 21:50 PM

Tony, according to my spec sheet, the Citrus supports MP4, H.263 and H.264.  WMV's are not supported.  That being said, take a look at this app that supports WMV's.  It's call arcMedia and the appbrain sheet on it is here:  http://www.appbrain.com/app/arcmedia/sns.arcMedia.playerInterface.arm6

I haven't tried this on my Citrus, but it does work on my Droid2.  If you have different file types, there are free convertors on the web that many have used.  - MarkC

(PS - I have three seasons of "The IT Crowd" in MP4 loaded on my D2 and they work great!)

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

79 Posts

12-05-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2010-12-09, 22:17 PM

Mark... thanks arcMedia did play them. Sound was off and on at best however they were high frame rate movies which arcMedia report the frame rate was a bit high. I have several converters so I can play around with them and convert a couple to supported files you mentioned and try those. I think right now there is a work around on several issues as I've found however the shortfall has been the lack of documentation that came with the phone. It is extremely limited ands leaves way too much to the imagination or lack of the newer user.

Tony

Options

79 Posts

12-05-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2010-12-09, 22:58 PM

Thanks Mark for reminding me of the stats sheet. I need to refer to that a bit more since most info I've talked about is not in the manual per say

Options

79 Posts

12-05-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2010-12-10, 19:42 PM

Well in my trials with videos my final verdict is even in the right formats they are borderline jerky along with the sound. I attribute this to the processor speed and 2.1 Eclair. Not sure if Froyo upgrade would help in this area or not? The processor/rom can never be upgraded as it is imbedded in the phone itself. I don't watch a lot of videos on my phone so it isn't a huge issue, but makes me wonder why the feature isn't a bit more supported if it's going to be offered on the phone as a feature. Nobody likes jerky videos. That was even with all/any other apps I had shut off to try and not over tax the processor. Most news videos play fairly well and even some of those are a bit jerky as if the processor (and O/S?) can't seem to handle the frame rates well. I'm going to do my initial detailed eval on the phone today sometime and post. I'm still enjoying the phone though  for what I bought it for. It's not billed as a high end Droid or smart Phone so reviews should not be that type of comparison however I feel it should at least support the phone's advertised features at least in a satisfactory manner. If you in your decison making on buying a smart phone and videos are an important thing to you I would not consider the Citrus for such.

Tony

Options

27 Posts

12-17-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2010-12-20, 14:15 PM

I just used Any Converter to recode a feature-length film (Inception), took about ten minutes. I used it's pre-loaded mp4 setting and dropped the resolution to 320x240, with 15 fps. Played with arcMedia, it's definitely watchable. The picture quality isn't ideal and the sound is just a little out of sync, but neither audio nor video is choppy at all. I'm going to try a tweak the res and frame rate up a little to find arcMedia's breaking point.

Options

79 Posts

12-05-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2010-12-20, 14:42 PM

Eric, I've ran into the same thing, however I haven't yet tried to tweak anything yet. One odd thing I've found with the Flash 10.1 is playing things like the flash news videos (and others) and such play flawlessly etc whereas the supported video formats listed on spec sheet play as you describe and I think that is attributed partly do the processor speed and capabilities as well of the 2.1 Eclair O/S. I think Moto tried to really stretch the limits in this area and weren't quite successful.  Will be interesting to see what you get out of the teaks. I still think an upgrade to Froyo would if not solve at least help the situation. In my case running ArcMedia to play the videos it seemed to over tax the processor causing occasional jerkyness and as you mention out of sync audio. I also made sure I had all unecessary apps shut down as well as to not over tax the processor.  The spec sheets list the supported formats and I don't feel we should be having to do a lot of tweaking of videos and running 3rd party software just to get them to play correctly or they shouldn't be listed. Just my take

Tony

Options

27 Posts

12-17-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2010-12-21, 1:26 AM

Tony -

I hardcore agree with you - I think the Citrus is lacking in places, and that prevents it from completely living up to it's billing. I give it some slack (maybe because it's my first smartphone and I don't know any better....:) because it runs on an O/S, as opposed to a hardcoded set of functions, like a feature phone. I figure that if you can tweak and third party it into doing what you want it to, s'ok for the price. The only thing I've paid for (after the phone) is Solo, which I felt compelled to get, being a guitar player. Other than that - I gots my gadget fix for reasonbale money, and my wife is okay with that....:) Back to the topic, I think Any Converter may be the go-to program for proper encoding for mp4's that are watchable on this phone. I first tried Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas ( 'tis the season, right?), and after that, Star Trek (the new one). Both were DX50, and I set both reencodes at 352x288, 24fps. Both turned out just fine. No choppy at all on the video; if I paused, the audio went out of sync, but the video sped up and compensated perfectly within ten seconds of hitting play. (arcMedia, by the way) Star Trek was letterboxed, and ended up that way on the phone, which made everything even smaller, but I could still most definitely tell it was Leonard Nimoy...:)

Options

79 Posts

12-05-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2010-12-21, 3:17 AM

Eric, thanks for the update and info! It'll give me some more things to try and mess with on the video end.:) !!

One thing here is I don't want to give the impression I am dissatisfied with the phone. In fact it has met or exceeded ins some cases my expectations with the exception of a couple issues. First off when I bought the phone I knew of the processor speed and O/S so no surprises there. I use the phone daily and quite happy with it.

The only complaints if you will that I have are...

1. It is not Java enabled, but I knew that when I got it. I manage a public weather  station and a few of our items such as radar etc are java based, but I work around that using the tower.

2. I am disappointed in that the way it is billed regarding videos. While I was was extremely pleased to find out I could get Flash 10.1 installed and working I am disappointed at performance on viewing videos in Moto's specified formats. A new smart phone user (who this phone is basically designed for) wouldn't have a clue on 3rd party work around's or stuff we mention. I attribute this shortcoming to not just the processor speed, but more toward the O/S. Moto needs to step up and upgrade the phone to 2.2 (Froyo) and I believe they'd have a screaming little phone on their hands. While I don't watch as many videos on the phones anymore due to vision issues I was have a few videos I've made and was quite disappointed in performance and would rate it below par even in the given supported formats. I will say having successfully installed Flash 10.1 has taken a little bite out of the whole video thing as I cruise many news sites and several have short flash videos associated and I am able to watch those flawlessly. Thanks again Eric for the update and now if Moto qwould just step up to the plate and upgrade to Froyo we'd solve most issues I beleive. Eh Moto? I do though enjoy the Citrus and having owned many phones from one end of the spectrum to the other it's a little gem. Just needs a bit of tuning up

Tony

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms