Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA CITRUS™
All Forum Topics
Options

79 Posts

12-05-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 15

Weird Update today!?

2010-12-21, 20:37 PM

OK folks help me out here. I was sitting in the grocery store parking lot waiting on the wife. I was surfing my mobile weather site when all of a sudden I was notified/prompted for an update. I have the phone set to notify me automatically of new system updates when available etc. It appeared to be a system type update and about 10 Mb in size I think it said. Anyway I accept and started the download. It finally prompted me to install and said the old typical stuff about rebooting after and all that.

Once it appeared to be done it wound up with the black screen and the Verizon logo on it and just stayed there forever. I tried the power button on the top of the phone to no avail and was about to pop the battery cover and remove/reinsert the battery for a clean boot when all of a sudden it went back to the home screen out of nowhere. OK I figure it had been doing its thing and now done, but got no notifications of install complete or anything.  I went to open the browser gain and it prompted me for the same update again!? Scratching my head I accepted and downloaded it once again. Once it downloaded it prompted for an install like before only this time when I said Ok I get a message this update cannot proceed or something or another. Maybe because it had installed Ok the first go around? If so why was I prompted again? The pone now seems to be operating fine.

I am unsure as to what the update even was? I went to tools and phone and checked for updates and said no updates available which would make sense if the update was successful. I looked at the firmware version and it states 21._ update1 

Anyone else get this update and know what it was? It was such a screwball process I'm not even sure I got the update or not or even for sure what exactly it was. It was the oddest update process I've ever encountered. What firmware version do you folks show? Never saw where the install was completed or exactly just what it was lol? The whole time the phone was playing the theme song to Twighlight Zone lol (just kidding)

MOTO guys, Mark, Eric,anyone?? Any clues? Thanks...

Tony

Options

27 Posts

12-17-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 15

Re: Weird Update today!?

2010-12-21, 21:32 PM

Tony -

I got the same update very early this morning. It didn't do anything screwy to the phone, just rebooted it automatically. I have the same 2.1 update1 firmware listed now  - some proprietary low-impact O/S update, maybe? I looked around a bit and found "2.1 update 1" listed frequently by folks as their frimware or O/S version in forums like this one. I guess the Citrus rolled out without "update 1" and they just sent it out to listed devices that didn't have it running.....? Any Moto-heads got some skinny on this one?

Eric

edit - this link...... really doesn;t tell us all that much....:)  http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/59896-update-2-1-update1.html

Options

1717 Posts

11-12-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 3 of 15

2010-12-21, 21:36 PM

Tony, I know of no update for the Citrus.  I haven't received one and my firmware version is the same as yours.  System updates aren't initiated through the browser.  Actually, I don't know of any Android updates that would initiate through the browser unless it's related to the Flash you installed behind the scenes or some other site based influence.  I haven't installed Flash on my citrus, but the version on my D2 is 10.1.61.68.  On your Citrus, go to Settings->Applications->Manage Applications and tap on the Adobe Flash app to see what version you have.  I'd be curious. - MarkC

Options

79 Posts

12-05-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 15

2010-12-21, 21:51 PM

I'll check Mark and thanks. I'll clarify though the update didn't  not come via the browser. I just happened to get to notice of the update available while surfing my weather site. This is because I have the phone set to auto notify me of system updates as they become available versus the old manual check method. Since you have the same firmware version I have and you haven't gotten the update Eric and I got I have NO idea what this update was. Seeing Eric got it too something came out for sure.

It was weird in that it appeared to install the first time yet prompted me again and that time said it couldn't proceed. I think the MOTO guys need to research this update today and chime in here and let us know at least what it was?

Tony

Options

79 Posts

12-05-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 15

2010-12-21, 22:01 PM

Mark, just checked and my version of Flash is the same as yours..... I truly believe this to have been some sort of system update, but have no idea what? There is an outside chance Flash 10.1 updated for Eric and I since we both installed it recently however this looked more like a system update. During the update install it had the open box with the little green dude (icon) standing in front of the open box during the process. If your version of Flash 10.1 has been this version for any lengthy of time Eric and I should have gotten that version in our installs since it was so recent I would think?

Tony

Options

27 Posts

12-17-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 15

2010-12-22, 0:21 AM

FTR - I found out I was the lucky winner of an upgrade because it uses the same notification as an inbound text msg. Hence my wife asking "Who's texting you at 7am?" I checked my Flash, and it's the same version as on Mark's D2. I'm guessing that Moto sends out the current upgrades for it's firmware periodically, and it gets routed appropraitely to end users through data provided by the service providers. For instance - the Citrus rolled without 2.1.1.  Every so often, Moto will send out the 2.1.1 update, and it gets filtered through the service providers to end up in the activated phones that are lacking that specific update. Once again, I'm just saying maybe that's what's what.....I'm a carpenter, not a cell phone guy, so I'll need a hard yay or nay from folks that know more than me....:)

Options

79 Posts

12-05-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 15

2010-12-22, 0:38 AM

Well Eric ya got me on this one too. I got my citrus almost the minute it came out so I must assume you and I had the same firmware as Mark and since he hasn't gotten an upgrade I haven't a clue. As you say maybe it was a periodic  Moto roll out to providers and in some cases depending on carrier got the upgrade anyway? Seems odd you'd get an upgrade if your phone was up to date though.

I'm surprised we don't have more posters in here since the phone has been out almost a month. I hope it isn't suffering an early demise lol! If so support will most likely trail off with the phones death lol. I wonder how the sales have been?  I hate seeing all the unfair negative reviews on the web on the phone. Almost everyone of them is a comparison of the Citrus to the highest end smart phones available on today's market. That's like comparing apples and oranges! It wasn't billed as the latest and hottest smart phone out yet that's how most reviews are trying to compare them to. Wen I looked at the Citrus I saw it would do "most" everything I needed and at a very decent price ans since my BB Curve went belly up it looked good to me. I also knew I wasn't getting a DroidX Verizon's site has god reviews, but most the tech and guru sites have bad reviews. It's like they are trying to compare my "KIA Spectra to a Mercedes Benz'  Not a real swift comparison tot rating such in my opinion. Due to budget constraints this was my choice and very happy. I do hope some good upgrades roll out as I'm stuck with it for 2 year as I can't afford to pay the full price of a new phone. Still paying off the wifes cancer stuff, but hey she's a survivor! Got a healthy wife and a good little phone so all is good.;)

Options

1717 Posts

11-12-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 8 of 15

2010-12-22, 3:21 AM

Tony, I'll try and see if I can find anything official about a Citrus update.  BTW, I bought an original Droid1 the Day they were released over a year ago.  I then upgraded to a Droid2 when they came out because I wanted the new keyboard (works great) and the faster processor.  But when I got the Citrus, I thought this was a cool little phone with a lot of features that worked every bit as well for what I did as my original Droid1.  The only drawback to it gaining serious market penetration in my opinion is that the major vendors are (very) heavily discounting the higher end models.  Still, for most of what I do, I don't need a Droid 2.

And congratulations on your wife being a survivor!  I am too.  Your outlook on life is great and your "Got a healthy wife and a good little phone" statement has had me smiling ever since I read it.  Best regards and sincere wishes to you both. - MarkC

Options

27 Posts

12-17-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 15

2010-12-22, 13:41 PM

Tony -

I absolutely know what you mean....my wife will be five years cancer-free in February. And good on ya, Mark, for winning your own fight....:)

Eric

Options

79 Posts

12-05-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 15

2010-12-22, 15:51 PM

I'm actually a cancer survivor myself. Glad it runs in the family Looks like we got a sepcial little "Citrus Group" here in the forum

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms