Message 1 of 4

MediaServ App uses every last byte of space

MotoAgent
MotoAgent
Views: 264
Message 2 of 4

Re: MediaServ App uses every last byte of space

Hi GBee,

did you try to delete cache and data in the app itself?

That is in settings--> applications--> manage applications--> all--> application

Please back up your  media files before you empty the cache.

Is MediaServ a third party application?

Cheers,

Nicole

GBee
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 4

Hi Nicole, I'll repeat the original post I made now that I'm able to do so without the message body disappearing:

I'm being driven slowly mad by the need to wipe the data on the 'MediaSer' process every single hour of the day. I'm not using this built-in app and I've made sure it's completely disabled in configuration. It still fires off a 'thumb generator' process any time I connect to, or disconnect from any network and sometimes it seems just for no apparent reason. This service then proceeds to use all available internal storage (35-60MB) until other processes start crashing and everything slows down to a crawl.

I've tried everything possible short of rooting the phone and uninstalling the app to make it stop. Clearing the 'data' (why is it storing images under 'data' and not a 'cache'?) only provides temporary relief. Killing the process doesn't help as something respawns it again. It's not even possible to have it use the SD card instead.

How do I stop it once and for all?

So in summary, yes I've tried deleting the cache but it always respawns and repeats. It's third party in the sense that it's not made by Motorola (seems to be ArcSoft) but it's installed by default and not removable.

GBee
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 4

I appear to have 'fixed' this by uninstalling updates for some of the built in Google apps, including the Play Store app. I suppose ultimately this may mean I'm unable to install new apps and app  from the Play store. It's still clearly a bug in the MediaServ app shipped by Motorola, but maybe only reproducible with a fully updated phone and not what ships from the factory.