Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 522
Message 11 of 58

Re: Android 4.0.3 ICS

I bough a device after Motorola publicly claimed 18 months of updates, then (at the very least here in the European Union) Motorola has breached its contract with the customer and is liable of damages ranging from complying with the contract (providing updates) to refund of purchase (at the price you bought it).

I think in the USA the consumer-protection laws are even more powerful than in the EU, so this could as well be the perfect foundation for a class action.

Yes, Defy+ is cheap but I'll not accept this lack of respect!

Mark_Emeritus Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 12 of 58

@everyone

In case you didn't see it... There is more to the Agreement than 18th months. Furthermore your device may continue to get updates though it may not get an upgrade.

Here is the Google I/O Q & A (May 10th 2011)

Additional information will be shared by Google as it becomes available.

Q: What exactly was announced at the Google I/O Conference?

A: Google created a team of industry partners, including Motorola Mobility, to create guidelines ensuring that new mobile devices will receive the latest Android platform upgrades for 18 months, as long as the hardware allows, after the first release of a device.

Q: Why did Google, along with the founding partners, announce this?

A: Ultimately, Google and Motorola Mobility believe this is great news for consumers and will also make things simpler for developers.

Q: Isn’t Motorola Mobility already providing timely Android platform updates on our devices?

A: Yes. This is already a Motorola Mobility policy. However, we made it clear to our consumer and developer bases that we are committed to working with Google to ensure the latest updates take place in a timely manner.

Q: It was announced how long devices will receive updates, but what about how quickly?

A: Google announced that for up to 18 months devices from participating partners, including Motorola Mobility, will receive Android platform updates. We are currently working with Google to address how quickly updates will happen after a new platform release. We plan to detail this further shortly.

Q: How does this affect the Motorola Mobility and Google relationship?

A: Motorola Mobility is continuing its work to foster the Android ecosystem and jumpstart development of Android applications. We have been and will remain active around the world in creating, participating and supporting Android development communities. With this new upgrade policy, we will continue to work with Google to obtain as much advance notice as possible.

Q: Will all devices from participating partners be upgraded?

A: As long as the hardware allows, new devices from Motorola Mobility will receive the latest Android platform upgrades for 18 months after the device is first released. Additionally, in order for the upgrade policy to apply, the device must also be part of the founding carrier partners (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon and Vodafone).

Q: When would the hardware not allow for these upgrades?

A: When changes in the operating system or in the performance requirements, such as older generation chipsets, won’t allow for the platform upgrade, these particular devices will not be part of the upgrade policy.

Q: How is Motorola Mobility engaging its developer community to support Android?

A: We work closely with developers through MOTODEV to provide the developer community with the tools and resources they need to create new applications and help further innovation in mobile communications. We recently announced supportive programs for developers working with Android, including the App Accelerator Program, MOTODEV Studio for Android and our regular MOTODEV Summits.

Mark
Motorola Mobility

Posted November 17th 2011

Posted 8 months ago (From 2/16/2012)

There are other posts scattered throughout the forum mentioning this information from May 2011 until now.

Mark
Former Employee
Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Message 13 of 58

Mark (Forums Manager) said:

@everyone

In case you didn't see it... There is more to the Agreement than 18th months. Furthermore your device may continue to get updates though it may not get an upgrade.

So it will be with the customers: they may continue to buy Motorola software tought they will buy another brand that take care of customers satisfaction.

I'm not happy with this poor interaction between Motorola Customers Service and customers that buy midle/low-range devices. I own an Defy+ and owned a Defy. First mistake: Motorola fooled me, second mistake: I'm a noob.

I could buy an Xperia Ray or Xperia Active instead of Defy-s. At least Sony announced that these phones (1GHz CPU and 512 MB RAM) will get the update to ICS. 

Sorry...but the financiar strategy of Motorola has no hope for a better future for company. 

„The customer is our King” say a german dicton (Der Kunde ist König). Tought Motorola is an american company: the customer is our sheep and slave. Good luck!

I'm going to test the japanese devices next time, no matters what „brilliant” phone will release Motorola.

paul-k
What's DOS?
Message 14 of 58

I am also disappointed that Defy+ won't be updated to ICS, but can't see that it was ever promised by Motorola and/or Google.  It is understandable that future versions won't run well on older hardware.

Given the planned rollout for ICS, many people would be considering their next phone upgrade by the time it comes around anyway.

Could Motorola consider unlocking boot loader for 'orphan' models after Motorola support/updates cease so that community versions could be loaded?

completeidiot
What's DOS?
Message 15 of 58

Last time I looked, Motorola wern't even providing spare (hardware) parts in Europe, e.g. OEM battery. My understanding is that breaches EU law too?

jackajay
What's DOS?
Message 16 of 58

paul-k said:

I am also disappointed that Defy+ won't be updated to ICS, but can't see that it was ever promised by Motorola and/or Google.  It is understandable that future versions won't run well on older hardware.

Given the planned rollout for ICS, many people would be considering their next phone upgrade by the time it comes around anyway.

Could Motorola consider unlocking boot loader for 'orphan' models after Motorola support/updates cease so that community versions could be loaded?

Hi,

Dont say that defy+ has old hardware.If you could see the upgrade list you could notice,motoluxe which has only 800Mhz processor is in evaluation stage and pro+ which has same config as defy+ too is in planning stage.

The reason i think for neglecting defy+ is they may have idea of bringing another model may be def++ with some small config changes and ICS.I bought this mobile only 20 days before and i feel betrayed by the motorola dealer who said defy+ will surely  be getting ICS.

I dont see any hardware problems which leades to omission.Sony ericsson Xperia Active which has same config as defy+ has been promised ICS then why cant defy+ get it.

I started a thread in this forum asking for reason from motorola representative for omitting defy+,but there was not even a single reply from them.This shows their "CUSTOMER CARE" Tongue out. Can anyone tell if there is any way of taking this issue to higher management and make them reconsider their decision.

Someone who have knowledge please help me how to proceed legally against motorola.

kaushalshriyan
What's DOS?
Message 17 of 58

Hi

Can someone please let me know what does MB526 stand for in "DEFY+  MB526" Please explain.

Regards

Kaushal

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Message 18 of 58

kaushalshriyan said:

Hi

Can someone please let me know what does MB526 stand for in "DEFY+  MB526" Please explain.

Regards

Kaushal

MB526 is the developer name for Defy+. For old Defy, it is MB525. 

Also there is a codename for Defy: jordan.

hugy
What's DOS?
Message 19 of 58

come on motorola. dont be so creedy. i bouht defy + just a few weeks ago. i was counting on android 4. give us at least bootloader.

Jy_Bravo
What's DOS?
Message 20 of 58

Ok, so if the Defy+ "can't support" the ICS OS upgrade, explain to us why!  As pointed out above Motorola phones with less powerful CPU and lower onboard memory are getting ICS where is the HW limitiation coming from?  Is it to do with some of the components on the mainboard, the wifi system, the video engine, what???

If the Defy+ can't "handle" the ICS upgrade please explain why, else you will see a portion of the users just go and bootload their phones and install it anyway which will be really bad for Motorola PR IF indeed ICS works and is stable on the Defy+.  That would really sour current owners even more than the silent treatment I have seen so far and push people to competitors.