Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
babushan
What's DOS?
Views: 489
Message 11 of 43

Re: Defy+ MB526 Restarting several times per day

I found one specific behaviour, where if i download anything from the market (now Google Play), it starts rebooting immediately and continues the download and reboots. Like this, it went on a loop and finally the battery got fully drained. 

@Motorola Tech Support : Can you help on this issue? Any software patch released to fix this issue?

completeidiot
What's DOS?
Message 12 of 43

@babushan

have not yet hard reset. I am still trying to acertain if it best to unistall apps that reside on SD card BEFORE hard reset? I know the SD card is not affected by reset, but the apps icons/shortcuts (or whatever they are called in Android) which reside on the phone's memory will be lost. hence, after reset, if you re-install the apps again from Google market, does it overwrite what is on the SD card (99% of the app?) or does it just look and say 'already installed'? are there any potential conflicts if during re-install, android finds a version already on the SD card?

I ask, because i am 99% sure the problem of random rebooting is NOT due to errant apps, but I want to be 100% sure. I have found to my dismay that Motorola's default position is always to blame something/one else (e.g. the date/time set being android's fault, SIM cards for the reboot problem, apps for the FOTA problem etc), so I want to be 100% that what I may have is a hardware fault before I give it back.

Richy
Paper Tape
Message 13 of 43

I have 2 Defy+ phones currently. First one used to reboot on a irregular basis and has been reset via the settings menu. I've not installed anything much on it and it's stopped rebooting? Still use it with a UK 'Three' PAYG sim. Other one and newer I use more often and has more apps installed reboots maybe once a week. I'm now wondering if it could be software related? Both phones 'lose' Flash Player when booted.

spanner1
Punch Card
Message 14 of 43

My 3 week old Defy+ rebooted a couple of times, both when using bluetooth in my car - I heard the Parrot car kit disconnect then reconnect again... it doesn't seem to have rebooted since then however although it might and unless I was there I'd not notice I suppose.

It's on UK 2.3.5 retail release (although just updated to 2.3.6 today)

Richy
Paper Tape
Message 15 of 43

Mine updated to 2.3.6 yesterday too. You'll be pleased to hear it still reboots! Lock screen has changed which is an improvement I think? I'm tending to think it's more to do 'mobile network' than anything. I don't recall it rebooting when connected to wifi?

completeidiot
What's DOS?
Message 16 of 43

Ummmm.... not that I am missing much by the sound of it, and I am still struggling with random reboots, but I am curious that some UK retail users are getting a update to 2.3.6, whereas I am still only being offered a 2.3.5 update (from my existing pre-installed 2.3.4) despite being on the same UK retail (45.0.82.MB526.Retail.en.GB)?

babushan
What's DOS?
Message 17 of 43

@Richy/CompleteIdiot,

This doesn't seems to be an issue with the firmware, my phone came with the stock rom of 2.3.6. 

Richy
Paper Tape
Message 18 of 43

babushan said:

@Richy/CompleteIdiot,

This doesn't seems to be an issue with the firmware, my phone came with the stock rom of 2.3.6. 

It would seem not. I'm not really sure what it's down too. My Defy+ went most of last week and then restarted twice yesterday. Every time it restarts Flash Player goes back to version 10 from 11 and disappears from the 'app list' on the phone? Unless it gets worse I'll probably live with it until the next phone comes along. I hope there are other Android 'tough phones' in the pipeline as the concept of the Defy I find very good as 'softer' phones would not survive my 'manual' job!

Motorola support they have suggested it's down to sim card incompatability. They suggest I change the card for anything but an N-5 type. I've used other operator sim's and result has been the same and have ended up with 2 Defy+'s and they both restart randomly? Support asked me to remove the sim and see if it restarts and I have done and it hasn't though the phone can go days without a restart anyway? It is one weird phone Undecided

spanner1
Punch Card
Message 19 of 43

completeidiot said:

Ummmm.... not that I am missing much by the sound of it, and I am still struggling with random reboots, but I am curious that some UK retail users are getting a update to 2.3.6, whereas I am still only being offered a 2.3.5 update (from my existing pre-installed 2.3.4) despite being on the same UK retail (45.0.82.MB526.Retail.en.GB)?

I don't understand it.... I did a check manually yesterday morning and it advised an update from 2.3.5 (which is what the Defy+ had out the box) to 2.3.6 available so I updated. No big change except how the swipe to unlock works (pointless change) - I also noticed all the 4 bottom touch buttons didn't light up  and a reboot or two later they started working again. Annoyingly the battery level still only goes down in 10% chunks.

Looking elsewhere suggests the 2.3.6 has been available for several months so no idea why mine didn't show it as an upgrade being available.... Do Moto stagger releases to reduce the chance of ruining all Defy+ at once? (better to get feedback from 10% of owners rather than all 100% at once?)

orozz
What's DOS?
Message 20 of 43

My UK Defy+ got the 2.3.6 update Thursday 5th April and fortunately I've had no re-boots so far. The annoying Flash Player problem remains though Frown