Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
completeidiot
What's DOS?
Views: 403
Message 21 of 43

Re: Defy+ MB526 Restarting several times per day

Yes, this is random reboot, but I can say:

- Wifi on/off has nothing to do with it. Mine randomly reboots either one!

- when you are in a transition zone, rapidly switching between 3G/HSDPA and 2g/Edge then rebooting is more likely....but not guaranteed

Hence, this remains the most annoying of bugs- RANDOM, especially if you are are in the middle of a call!

completeidiot
What's DOS?
Message 22 of 43

I have now found time to hard reset my device, but unfortunately my phone still suffers from random rebooting.

I have now hard reset, fully formatted the SD card and installed a new SIM card, but nothing works.

A possible sign that there is something wrong with the phone's radio is that the wifi and data icons now only occasionally turn blue when connected (even after the hard reset), even when I am 100% sure there is connection, such as browsing etc. I am sure they used to always be blue when connected. I can not be sure, but this lack of blue seems to have started about the same time as the random reboot started to appear.

My conclusion is that this is due to hardware deterioration, quite possibly in the data radio.

Whatever it is, I give up and will contact my supplier for an exchange or refund under 12 month warranty. This is no longer a functioning phone.

CarmenC
Token Ring
Message 23 of 43

Hi there,

Have you already checked what kind of SIM card you are using? Make sure that you are not using a N5 SIM card. Maybe you want to check with you network provider what SIM card standard you are using. If it is a N5 SIM card, try another standard and check if the problem persists.

Also check if your phone works fine if you are using the phone without a SIM card and that you already have Android - version 2.3.6 installed on your handset.

If you have tried everything and it still reboots, I would advise a reset and otherwise a repair as it might be a hardware issue. Therefore I would advise you to contact our customer service: http://on.fb.me/HSxcRx

Carmen

completeidiot
What's DOS?
Message 24 of 43

Carmen, thx for response.

I HAVE reset the phone.

I can not update to 2.3.6 because my phone only offers a FOTA update (which according to forum is not without problems?) from its stock original 2.3.4 to 2.3.5?

The phone USED to work fine, but then started to random reboot with the SAME SIM card inside. Nothing was changed. I changed the SIM card (Vodafone Australia), just in case, but the problem persisted. However, I think the SIM card is a N5 type.... do they have smaller circuit board?

I will return to UK soon and insert Vodafone UK SIM which didnt give me problems for first 3 months of phone's life. If random reboot continues then I will return to Motorola as its evidently a hardware problem.

Sorry, but I dont have time to walk around with a phone without a SIM card in it for days 'testing'!

shanki1
What's DOS?
Message 25 of 43

Hi,

I am just another customer in India, got this phone on 17th May 2012 and have been struggling with frequent restarts of the phone. I had called the customer care and they had taken all phone details and had promised me a firmware update in 15 days. I am not sure when I will get one, since this problem seems to be there for over a month (seeing other post on this forum).

Restart Scenarios surely reproducible

Data switch on restarts the phone.

When signal reaches low level, it

There were some more random restarts as well. I had someone to help me understand that this could be with the MOTO BLUR software panicking and restarting the phone.

model number - mb526

Solomon6952
What's DOS?
Message 26 of 43

hey shanki did u get the new firmware that the motorola service centre promised you for..?and if yes is the phone working fine now..?

mad-s-max
What's DOS?
Message 27 of 43

I had the same issue at a certain time: 

I reformatted the SD-card and reinstalled the app's and then all was fine: SD-cards have the bad habit of creating "bit-flips" in memory. Most of them are handled, but every now and then it crashes the complete system.

D.

shanki1
What's DOS?
Message 28 of 43

Hi Solomon6952,

I had taken it to the service center where any of the newer firmwares didnt stop the phone from restarting for low signal levels (tested through switching it to flight mode and back) but the data switch problem was kinda solved by it when I tested it there. However they had taken the phone to the company and took them 20 days to change the mother-board (hardware problem)and came back. Till the time it comes back to service center no updates were given by the company to me,  even through call centers till the day it got dispatched. (Day before yesterday)

I could verify this as the IMEI was different for the phone.

Now it is working like a charm.

They had told me that some pieces of Defy+ have this problem but they seem to be a little rare so firmware updates for such models are not released in public but only available through service centers.

I am happy now. Cool and relieved.

orozz
What's DOS?
Message 29 of 43

My O2 sim card is fine, no reboots, but if i put in my T-Mobile sim card it reboots cycles evey few minutes. Any chance of a patch update?
orozz
What's DOS?
Message 30 of 43

My O2 sim card is fine, no reboots, but if i put in my T-Mobile sim card it reboots cycles evey few minutes. Any chance of a patch update?