Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Diptish
What's DOS?
Views: 1,941
Message 1 of 16

Wifi connection problems

I've been having problems connecting my Motorola Defy+ (Honeycomb 2.3.6) to my WiFi/ADSL router. It finds the network and tries to obtain the IP address and then fails everytime. I'm able to connect my other devices, this is the only one I'm having trouble with. I've tried resetting everything, also tried disconnecting other devices from the network before trying with the phoneI've also had the same issue with my office wireless network, so it must be the phone. Any thoughts anyone?

Robbedoes
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 16

Re: Wifi connection problems

No problem with WiFi on mine ... using WPA2, I'm not using WPS or proxy settings

Have you checked under 'Advanced settings' if all is set correctly ... in particular 'StaticIP'

Robbedoes
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 16

Did you solve your wifi connection issue ?

Jy_Bravo
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 16

I too have this problem.  Just got my Defy+ this week, Friday, and over the weekend I have been unable to get the phone to connect to my home network.  I did get it to join an open "coffee house" network but only after 15 minutes of trying various settings and then it would not stay connected very long, just connect, drop, try to get an IP address, drop, etc...  Android ver 2.3.6, build 4.5.3-109_DPP-11,

As a LAN admin I am fairly knowledgable on wifi settings, by no means a novice.  My home network is using an older router due to some older laptops and 1st gen netbooks.  All the computers, my wife's XT502 and BlackBerry, my daughter's iPad, and my Sony PSP2000 all connect without an issue to the Linksys BEFW1154 v4 wireless router.  The router was re-set 10 months ago when moving into a new home but all devices have been working since then with no major issues.  I don't boradcast the SSID and use WEP with a self generated key (just 1 key) and have manually set up the Defy+ which can see and try to connect to the network but always fails after 8-10 seconds (scan, connecting, disconnect).  I checked and upped the network accounts from 8 to 12 devices in hopes I was running out of IP space on the router table but again that did not work.

I have added in the phone's MAC in hopes that would work after setting the router to accept only devices from the MAC listing but that did not work so I disabled that feature back to the state the router was in prior.  I have tried setting the phone to enable auto IP if DNS fails but that also does not work.  Other forums I have found, in paticular Chrom Loop, state you have to disable network G protocol but it seems you have to rootkit the device and I don't want to void the warranty.

As all my current wireless devices (iPad 1, PSP2000, BB Bold, Moto XT502, etc.) can connect without issue, why can't my ME525+?  As my wifi is pre-802.11g would the know g-band issue still be there?  My WEP key woks and the Defy+ can find the network, just not connect.  This is very frustrating as I can't connect the phone to set up my account for getting apps, connecting to email, etc.  Using my cell service for this is very expensive and I would rather use my home network.  Is there an easy fix/setting change to correct this?

Jy_Bravo
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 16

Update, just toggeled Data modes to allow/end data access over cell phone, did not work (saw this on another post and tried it).  Turned on all data modes except roaming and downloaded a Chinese version of APN called HiAPN and with it loaded and running cound not connect, I turned off all the 3G functions. restarted the phone, still noting, just scaning, connecting, disconnected over and over again.  Have tried in the same room as the wifi router, and other rooms in the house checking signal strength from poor to excellent, all did the same thing.  It can see and try to log in but always fails.  Looking at the logs on the wifi router and it never registers that device on the device lists, all other devices are listed just not this phone!  Very frustrating and dissapointing.

britof
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 16

Motorola Defy+ seems to have a wery week wifi radio receiver. It could be connected only when the signal is realy strong and shows 2 bars where other devices shows 4 or at least 3 bars. My previous phone was Motorola Defy has better receiver, it was on 3 bars where Defy+ could achieve 2.

Jy_Bravo
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 16

Have tried connecting when less than 30 cm (1 foot) from the wifi router, its dual antenna is on a shelf above my home office desk.  I agree the signals are weaker, my PSP can access the wifi on the ground floor in the living room next to the stairwell, my home office is on the 3rd floor.  The Defy+ only shows an above "poor" status on the 2nd floor.  The issue for me isn't signal strength, but authentication.  I can't seem to figure out why my wife's year older Moto XT502 can connect, my PSP can connect, and her BB Bold can connect but this phone can't even when next to the antennas! 

I found the phone came pre-loaded with APN utility, turning it on or off makes no difference, so thinking of getting rid of the China/Hong Kong app version.  I would really like to complete the profile setup and get my corporate email configured so the phone if able to do more than just make/take calls and SMS and be a really expensive replacement for my Razr2 V8 which went out on me after a dip in a mud puddel.

Diptish
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 16

@ Robbedoes - I tried using a static ip, and it worked for a while before dropping the connection.

@ Jy_Bravo - I've been having the same problem as you mentioned in your first post, and have gone through the same steps. But I'm not an expert on wifi unfortunately. I was however, able to connect earlier today at a wifi cafe.

britof
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 16

As I mentioned the only wifi issue I have is a weak receiver. Trouble with connection is not acceptable behavior and I think that is a failure covered by warranty.

Jy_Bravo
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 16

Ok, last ditch and NOT perferred option worked, turning OFF my WEP security, the wifi router is now wide open and accessible by anyone and the Defy+ connected and stays connected!  Why the WEP fails I don't know, but as its my home router, and my next door neighbor (I live on a corner) does not have a computer, I can keep it unsecured and public basically for now and lock it down at night, but this is NOT the way to do things, I need to know why the WEP is failing as the key is correct and the same as the other devices use... Again, frustrating!