Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA ELECTRIFY™ M
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

11-14-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 19

What are your Electrify M Issues

2013-01-27, 4:33 AM

I just thought I would start a running thread of issues everyone has had with the Electrify M devices, so maybe it will help with the JB build coming up this quarter.  Here are the issues I have.

Signal Qualtiy - I have a tower a half mile north of my house.  When I had my Electrify 2, I had full bars in my house.  The Electrify M will vary, sometimes going down to two bars.  I never have dropped calls, but it is just a weird issue.

Wireless lock-ups - I use wi-fi most of the time at home.  Sometimes, I will have to turn wi-fi off and back on to get a connection.  All of our other devices work fine without any issues.

Wireless Signal Strength - Another comparison between the Electrify 2 and the M.  In my garage I could use wi-fi just fine with the E2.  With the EM, I have to step outside to have enough signal to use wi-fi, and it will sometimes swtich to 3G while I am in the garage.  This may just be a weaker antenna or chip in this phone, but I am not sure.

Volume Control.  Smart actions are nice, but I hate the fact that the main volume control only controls ringer volume.  I have to go into settings and volumes all the time to adjust the volume according to my location and what I am doing.  I can set this with smartactions, but sometimes I want to override these settings.  All volumes need to be tied together.

Apps to SD.  For some reason, other devices I have that run 4.0.4 and 4.1 have the ability to move apps to the SD card.  I am not sure why the option is not available on the EM.

This is my list, but I will add to it if I think of any other issues I have with it.

Edit - I just thought of another thing to add.  I do a lot of traveling in my area, and I have issues with the phone switching from 3G to 1X quite often even with 2+ bars of signal.  I am not in a 4G area, so I don't have that luxury, but sometime the only way I can get back on 3G is to shut the phone off and back on.  I have tried the PRL update too and that doesn't seem to help.  I have had this issue with phones in the past though, so it may just be a USCC problem, but they won't seem to fess up to it.

Options

22 Posts

01-26-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 19

Re: What are your Electrify M Issues

2013-01-27, 14:17 PM

WiFi connection dropping - When connected to a WiFi AP, sometimes the connection will drop and then reestablish within a few seconds. This happens for no obvious reason, both when the screen is on and when it’s off (I can tell because I have Tasker log connects/disconnects). It’s happened both on my home AP (WPA2 PSK) as well as a work AP (802.1x EAP/PEAP). Happens in a strong signal area with no obvious interference. I’ve never noticed this with other WiFi devices. Maybe happens once every day or so – not too often. I never have to manually toggle WiFi off/on to reestablish the connection – it reestablishes the connection on it’s own.

4G falling back to 3G - A couple weeks ago the phone was stuck on 3G all weekend. Dialed *228 to do a PRL update which may have helped (couldn’t really tell), but occasionally I still notice the phone on 3G in an area that I typically have good 4G coverage. Seems like it may step down to 3G even though I’m on WiFi most of the time. This one’s hard to blame on the phone alone not knowing what might be going on with the USCC 4G network.

OpenVPN - I use OpenVPN for Android – it works okay but is sometimes an issue when reestablishing the tunnel after going back and forth between WiFi and the cellular network. Would love to see a cleaner and more automated means of enabling the VPN tunnel, but that’s probably more an issue with the app than the OS. Just glad that VPN functionality is now built in to 4.x without needing root, etc.

Nothing else in particular stands out as an issue with 4.0.4, but I’m anxious to try JB. Thanks for starting this thread.

Options

46 Posts

10-12-2011

United States of America

30 Signins

417 Page Views

• Views: 417
  • Message 3 of 19

2013-01-30, 10:54 AM

I have had a couple problems with email syncing from my works exchange server, every once in a while an email message won't download to my phone and the only way to get the phone to download is to remove the account and add it again.  Outlook Web Access will show the last sync time for the phone and show the email as unread.  I didn't have this issue even once with the original Electrify in the 14+ months I used it

Options

1 Posts

02-04-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 19

2013-02-04, 19:29 PM

My Elecrify M has horrid troubles connecting to my work server in terms of the calendar system.  I was told that sometimes Motorola devices do not connect well and this one is awful.   It doesn't update properly and changes titles randomly to "new event" instead of giving it the desginated name (on the device and if you change the name to the correct words it erases the item in my actual work calendar!!  I hate it.   

Also, nowhere in the user guide does it explain why my 4G shows blue, white/grey and what that means... Same with my wifi icon.  Best I can tell if it is blue (which it seldom is even though I am smack dab in the middle of the USC networks 4G area (my boyfriends' Samsung Galaxy SIII connects fine), it is truely connected and if it is Grey it is not really connected.  But there are also times where it says 3G or 1X or nothing at all too...

I will be sitting in my home with full blue wifi signal and pages will not load correctly.  It is very irritating and I will not recommend this phone to anyone.

Options

22 Posts

01-26-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 19

2013-02-04, 23:37 PM

Also, nowhere in the user guide does it explain why my 4G shows blue, white/grey and what that means... Same with my wifi icon.  Best I can tell if it is blue (which it seldom is even though I am smack dab in the middle of the USC networks 4G area (my boyfriends' Samsung Galaxy SIII connects fine), it is truely connected and if it is Grey it is not really connected.  But there are also times where it says 3G or 1X or nothing at all too...

Either the 3G/4G signal strength bars or the WiFi signal strength icon (but not both at the same time) turns blue to show that Android is successfully connected and authenticated your phone back to Google. If you have the connection through WiFi, then only that icon should be blue. They will never both be blue at the same time. It’s possible that you could be connected to a WiFi network that has limited or no Internet access thus not allowing Android to connect back to Google in which case the WiFi icon would stay white. This may happen if you’re using a public WiFi network and need to acknowledge an agreement page before connected to the Internet. It’s normal for the 3G/4G bars to remain white when the authentication has happened through WiFi.

There are lots of discussion threads about this topic, but this one explains it pretty well.

I will be sitting in my home with full blue wifi signal and pages will not load correctly.  It is very irritating and I will not recommend this phone to anyone.

It seems lots of folks are having various WiFi issues with the M. My issue is only related to occasionally having it disconnect and then reconnect right away for no obvious reason. It even happens when the screen is off and may happen a few times in a row then be okay for hours. I’m hoping the Jelly Bean update addresses the issues soon.

Options

20 Posts

11-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 19

2013-02-08, 4:56 AM

Apps 2SD needs to come back.

Why do we have NFC and Android beam if they don't work after enabled.

Shannon

Options

15 Posts

02-13-2013

United States of America

7 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 7 of 19

2013-03-04, 22:04 PM

My camera stopped working on my M.  Was at great clips and used the barcode scanner app to download their reservation app and it worked perfectly.  Used it on and off that day then charged it over night.  The next day, pressed the camera icon and got the message "camera can not be initialized"  Clear cache and data, rebooted phone, reset phone and no go.  Nothing worked.  Took it back to USCC and after some troubleshooting, they swapped it out for a new one.

Options

3 Posts

05-03-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 19

2013-05-03, 3:55 AM

I'm on my second M since Dec 2012, and just started experiencing the same issues I had on my first: I have constant connectivity issues, I can't trust my phone, I can't hear the sound to radio apps when I am connected. Even performing restarts, *228, and turns on/off only temporarily fix things. When I make calls, I can hear the call connect, and hear the first bit of conversation, then nothing. 

While USCellular has great service, and Motorola has stood behind their product, it took them a month to get me a replacement the first time, and I'm about to go through it again. The S4 is looking really good right about now.

Options

2027 Posts

12-04-2009

United States

39 Signins

756 Page Views

• Views: 756
  • Message 9 of 19

2013-05-03, 12:31 PM

Snowflake said:

I'm on my second M since Dec 2012, and just started experiencing the same issues I had on my first: I have constant connectivity issues, I can't trust my phone, I can't hear the sound to radio apps when I am connected. Even performing restarts, *228, and turns on/off only temporarily fix things. When I make calls, I can hear the call connect, and hear the first bit of conversation, then nothing. 

While USCellular has great service, and Motorola has stood behind their product, it took them a month to get me a replacement the first time, and I'm about to go through it again. The S4 is looking really good right about now.

View original

Using *228 on the newer Smart Phones can cause issues. Please call US Cellular for possible solutions if that code has been used on your phone out of their network.

Poko

Options

9 Posts

11-14-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 19

2013-05-03, 13:25 PM

Poko said:

Snowflake said:

View original

Using *228 on the newer Smart Phones can cause issues. Please call US Cellular for possible solutions if that code has been used on your phone out of their network.

Poko

View original

Normally, support will tell you to do the *228 update to fix it!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms