Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA ELECTRIFY™ M
All Forum Topics
Options

70 Posts

04-04-2014

United States

2 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 1 of 15

phone lost boot

2014-06-24, 12:00 PM

My eectrify xt901 lost the boot when i hold down the power button and volume up button i get the android laying down and a red triangle in it. It also goes into a deep sleep or shuts off randomly so i get no calls or text, 60 % of the time this happens when charging the phone and to other 40 % is when it is not being used. I read it cause by not having root but also read root is illegal I am totally confused. I have filled out request for Motorola support and never heard back from them so i sent in another incase something went wrong still no answer back. I took it to a device center and they said it would have to be sent in but i would b e better off buying a new one. Any help would be appreciated  i have tried both factory reset and a external factory reset still nothing. I am hoping Kitkat will be rolling out soon for this phone but afraid i wont be able to get it until it is fixed'

Options

16327 Posts

11-22-2013

United States of America

13 Signins

325 Page Views

• Views: 325
  • Message 2 of 15

Re: phone lost boot

2014-06-25, 16:52 PM

Bill-

Why are you trying to boot up using volume up and Power button? This is normal.  You should only use the Power button to turn on your phone. 

Can you provide more information about Deep sleep? I'm not sure what you mean by that. As far as it shutting off. Does the phone have battery available when you power it back up or is the battery depleted.

Rooting is not illegal but rooting your phone wouldn't really do a lot as it only enables you admin access to your phone. If you root and modify your phone it can prevent ability to successfully upgrade/update your phone. 

Calling us or chatting with us is the best way to get in touch if you're in a hurry. Email support is not as immediate.

In the US we don't have any authorized walk-in warranty/repair centers. I'm not sure who recommended you buy a new phone. 

I recommend running your phone in Safe Mode. You can then determine if your phone is being affected by a 3rd party app.

We're working on KitKat and will provide it when testing is complete and it is ready for download.

Mark

Forums Manager

Mark
Former Employee
Options

70 Posts

04-04-2014

United States

2 Signins

13 Page Views

• Message 3 of 15

2014-06-25, 17:17 PM

First thanks for answering so I will begin to try to explain the best I can when the phone started going to sleep or shutting down I held the pwoer button and volume up button and the boot log would appear and i would select  boot up normal  and it would rstart and be fine for awhile. Now when i do that I get the android on its side with a red triangle so I am thinking i lost the boot up log or screen. 60 % of the time when the phone does this is when im charging it the other 40 does it randomly like i will take it out of my pocket the light would be blinking like i have a text but when i pish the power button it never comes on , i neevr got the notification sound i had a message othe times i will push the power button to use the phone but it does not respond until i restart it . this happens anywhere from 2 to 5 times a day.

the only reason i mentioned Kitkat was i was hoping it was software related and it would help solve my problem but Motorola has informed it is on hold and may not be released util the next version is ready so I am not expecting it at all '

I believe the  reps at the US Celluar store believe i would be better off buying a new one than trying to fix this one. I am completely lost where to go from here 

Options

16327 Posts

11-22-2013

United States of America

13 Signins

325 Page Views

• Message 4 of 15

2014-06-25, 17:51 PM

BillC said:

First thanks for answering so I will begin to try to explain the best I can when the phone started going to sleep or shutting down I held the pwoer button and volume up button and the boot log would appear and i would select  boot up normal  and it would rstart and be fine for awhile. Now when i do that I get the android on its side with a red triangle so I am thinking i lost the boot up log or screen. 60 % of the time when the phone does this is when im charging it the other 40 does it randomly like i will take it out of my pocket the light would be blinking like i have a text but when i pish the power button it never comes on , i neevr got the notification sound i had a message othe times i will push the power button to use the phone but it does not respond until i restart it . this happens anywhere from 2 to 5 times a day.

the only reason i mentioned Kitkat was i was hoping it was software related and it would help solve my problem but Motorola has informed it is on hold and may not be released util the next version is ready so I am not expecting it at all '

I believe the  reps at the US Celluar store believe i would be better off buying a new one than trying to fix this one. I am completely lost where to go from here 

View original

If you want to force a power down. Press down volume and power button if your phone is locked up and you want to simulate a battery pull. If the phone is off you should just press the power button to turn on.

If you are powering up and holding volume up button the android on it's side is normal. There is a hidden menu on the screen. You can't see it until you press both volume buttons simultaneously. It will then show on top of the android guy. Again this is normal. No need to power up your phone in this manner.

Please run your phone in Safe mode as mentioned in my previous message. Let's see how the device behaves without 3rd party apps being involved. 

KitKat will hopefully help with your device run faster. At this point I'm not sure what the issue is. Hopefully we'll understand what the issue is by running the phone in safe mode. No reason to change devices yet unless we know there is a hardware issue.

Is your phone rooted?

Mark

Forums Manager

Mark
Former Employee
Options

70 Posts

04-04-2014

United States

2 Signins

13 Page Views

• Message 5 of 15

2014-06-25, 18:18 PM

Ok from now on i will restart it by power button and volume down  as far as just using the power button that only works if I shut the phone down myself it has never worked when this deep sleep or shutting down has occurred. I wll look into how to run it in the safe mode and do that to see what happens but i have to ask one question what will not work while in the safe mode ?

thanks again

Options

16327 Posts

11-22-2013

United States of America

13 Signins

325 Page Views

• Message 6 of 15

2014-06-25, 18:20 PM

BillC-

Any downloaded apps will not appear on the phone while you are in safe mode. Only preloaded apps will appear. Use the phone as you normally would and watch for power down issues.

Mark

Forums Manager

Mark
Former Employee
Options

70 Posts

04-04-2014

United States

2 Signins

13 Page Views

• Message 7 of 15

2014-06-26, 8:56 AM

As of 12 hours in the safe mode it has had issues twice, last nighti went use it and it was not seponding so i pressed the power button and nothin happened so i held the power button and volume down for 15 secs and started up like you was booting it up when the phone was shut off. I put it on charge went to bed after booting back  in the safe mode and when i got up i saw the light blinking i had a message but again pressing the power button alone did not do anything i had to restart the phone using the power button and volume down.

I will monitor it for the rest of today

Options

70 Posts

04-04-2014

United States

2 Signins

13 Page Views

• Message 8 of 15

2014-06-26, 17:59 PM

ok the phone has shut down or what ever it does twice and 3 times in a 24 hour period so Im guessing this is the way it is suppose to work or something is wrong with the phone itself. it has happened the last 3 times when it was on charge i usually hook the charger to it when it gets near 25% left . I do not know if the Moto G or moto X has issues or not for me where i have a medical condition i need a phone i that is dependable i know they no longer make the phone I have

Options

70 Posts

04-04-2014

United States

2 Signins

13 Page Views

• Message 9 of 15

2014-07-05, 10:07 AM

I did root it and it has made the phone 80% better so I am hoping that when i can try Kitkat it will help with the rest. I could try a beta version of it today if i could find a 4.4 bootloader any suggestions on where to download or flasf one

Options

16327 Posts

11-22-2013

United States of America

13 Signins

325 Page Views

• Message 10 of 15

2014-07-07, 18:09 PM

@BillC

Rooting your phone could prevent you from getting the official KitKat upgrade. We don't provide bootloaders for download.

It appears Facebook and another app are causing issues. Have you observed some apps force closing on 6/30 and 7/6? 

Mark

Forums Manager

Mark
Former Employee
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms