cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alta_wv_two
What's DOS?
Views: 103
Message 1 of 6

Absolutely the WORST keyboard and by the time I answer the phone...

I've been reading reviews and discussion posts for an hour and I cannot believe ANYone could possibly be satisfied with the keyboard on the Electrify. First, it is far too sensitive sometimes and totally insensitive others. If my finger even comes close to touching the screen when I try to move to another key, it enters a keystroke.  Second, I can hit on the right side of a key and the key to the left is the one that is entered. Third, I am not only constantly hitting the backspace (or trying to anyway) but repeatedly having to hit the ?123 button back and forth just to enter punctuation. I got the phone today having had an HTC TouchPro II with a REAL keyboard. I text a lot. And I can't enter a fifty character sentence on this thing in less than a minute.

Now, let's talk about the phone.  It IS a phone, after all.  If the phone is idle and shuts off and someone calls, I have to pick it up, click the on button, slide the lock bar, then find the answer button.  By then, they have hung up or gone to voice mail.

So, to recap...  Texting with this thing is impossible and it doesn't function well as a telephone.  I have 29 days to decide whether to take it back. Um, I think I'll save the last 28 and do it tomorrow.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 6

Re: Absolutely the WORST keyboard and by the time I answer the phone...

@alta

Answering the phone

That's odd (and you are right--a ridiculous number of keystrokes to answer the phone). 

I have the Photon, which is supposed to be a twin to the Electrify....When my screen is asleep and a call comes in, the screen will come on and all I have to do is slide the green phone icon to the right to answer. 

Screen sensitivity

I can't answer for the sensitivity of your screen, but the touch in one place and another place lights up sounds like your screen needs calibration.  I searched my menus and did not see anything for that in the Photon menu, so it might be something that a technician needs to take care of at the store where you bought the device.

Typing

I too just came from a QWERTY keyboard phone (6 years on a Blackberry, with heavy email and SMS use).  I know people say that they can type quickly on these touchscreens but I have not gotten the hang of it yet either.  I should note I've only had my Photon for a week though    I am getting faster with time, but it has been a struggle because I simply miss the QWERTY keyboard.  I definitely recommend the following, which has helped me a lot in this transition phase

• use vLingo (free app in the Android Market) for voice command/input
  • use Swype--it is definitely faster than trying to touch a specific key on the onscreen keyboard
Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
alta_wv_two
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 6

And odder still is that today my phone does the same as you describe when a call comes in.  I now get the green icon.  Yesterday, I got the lock slide bar.  I don't know if I changed a setting last night and accidently solved the problem or what.

On typing, I thought of trying Swype and I may yet have to, but I am a touch typist.  If I look at my keyboard while I type, I type slower.  I do have to look at the phone keypad to make sure my thumbs are in exactly the right spot (which is the problem with it) but if I have to look to where the next key is in order to Swype it, I think it would be horribly slow.

And programs like vLingo actually make me laugh.  The point of texting is that it is quiet.  If I can talk, I would just call the person.  I don't get the point of voice texting.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 6

LOL. 

vLingo is definitely not good for meetings   It is good for "almost handsfree" responses like when you are doing something else (like driving?  or when you only have one hand free?). 

For some, texting is most applicable not for stealth/quiet, but for not interrupting the recipient for an answer that can wait until a more opportune time.

You must type a lot!  Even 6 years with a Blackberry (3 different ones) I do not know the QWERTY well enough to type without looking.  I could almost do it, but not entirely.  Then I switched to the Moto XPRT (QWERTY keyboard + touchscreen Android) and it was pretty good but not nearly as good as typing on the Blackberry.

Good luck with the transition period!

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
spaceace
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 6

I thought I would add that if you are having trouble answering calls in time,you can call US Cellular and have your ring time extended.

alta_wv_two
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 6

Spaceace: That's a good idea and if I hadn't found the No Lock app, I might have had to do that.  Without the lock (and the mysterious disappearance of it when my phone rings) I have no problem with that now.

And I will add that I have become a bit more used to the keyboard but I still don't like it.  If I could get the same pnone and features with a slide out keyboard, I would jump at it.