Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tberneman
What's DOS?
Views: 114
Message 1 of 12

Electrify: MicroSD Card NOT Being Recognized

I purchased a 32GB PNY MicroSD card from Best Buy.  I powered down the phone, removed the back and the battery, inserted the MicroSD card, reinserted the battery and powered up.  The phone does not see the card.  I go to Settings->Storage and under the section"SD card" for "Total Space" and "Available space" it says "Unavailable". Both "Mount SD card" and "Format SD card" are greyed out.  I've tried removing the card and reinstalling it 3 times with the same results.  This card was in a different phone so I know it works (another Electrify that had problems so I got an exchange).

Any ideas?  I'm at work now but when I get home I'm going to use the SD adapter and try the card in my laptop.

Tim Smiley Surprised]

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 12

Re: Electrify: MicroSD Card NOT Being Recognized

If this same problem happened in a different phone, I'm going to lean that

there is a problem with that SD card. Do you have any others that you could

try, to confirm that it is not the phone?

Thanks,

J

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4g

Motorola Employee
Motorola Employee
Message 3 of 12

Sometimes supplier SD Cards out of the package aren't formattined correctly for your device...

try putting your card into a reader and formating with your pC (Quick Format, FAT32) and then place back into your device.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 12

If you do format the card with your PC, please format again using your

phone. As you phone will set up partitions that your PC will not.

Thanks,

J

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4g

tberneman
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 12

Short Story: The MicroSD card DID work in the other phone.

Long Story: I bought the MicroSD card and put it in my first phone, it didn't work.  I put the MicroSD card in the SD "carrier" and stuck it in a computer and it recognized it as a drive but said "No Media".  I took it out and the thing was so hot it blistered my finger and melted the carrier a little!  I took it back to Best Buy and got a 2nd MicroSD card.  That card worked perfectly in the first phone but it will not work in my second phone.

tberneman
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 12

I will try doing that when I get home tonight.  I will also take mullins_j's advice and format it in the phone afterwards.  IF it recognizes it!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 7 of 12

tberneman wrote:

I will try doing that when I get home tonight.  I will also take mullins_j's advice and format it in the phone afterwards.  IF it recognizes it!

Please keep us posted how this works out for you.

Thanks,

J

tberneman
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 12

The card was unreadable in the adapter in my laptop as well.  I took it all back to Best Buy and exchanged it and the new card works perfectly!  I had them do it right in the store.  I don't know why the card worked in the old phone but not the new phone unless the old phone "zapped" it somehow.

Thanks for everyones help!  I was amazed at how quick I got some suggestions to fix it.

Tim Smiley Surprised]

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 9 of 12

@tberneman

Please be sure to format the new SD card using the Electrify.

Enjoy your device!

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
tberneman
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 12

Do I still have to format it if it recognized it and mounted it automatically?  I used Astro and there are quite a few files and folders on it already.  Will those files be recreated when I pull up the app for it again?

Tim Smiley Surprised]