Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 18,669
Message 11 of 27

Re: MTP USB device failed to install

Everyone

Some of you are typing MPT and others are typing MTP...I haven't experienced this so I am just researching on the net, so if someone could clarify for me that would be great.

I found this thread in the Motorola Droid X forum:  https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/205155#205155

• I rebooted each computer, deleted the Moto drivers and the folder from Program Files, rebooted again, installed doubletwist (just out of superstition because it was on it while working), did a battery out reboot of the X and plugged in.  It installed without error in PC Mode, and all other modes are working as well.
Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 12 of 27

Let's help clarify abbreviations on this thread.

1. MPT,s... Motorola Phone Tools, used on non-smart phones.
  2. MTP... MTP Device Error from Windows USB drivers installation.

If you try the linked site, let us know if it fixes this Windows error, thanks.

Poko

edited by: Poko... scroll to bottom of linked page for example of Device Drivers screen for Windows XP systems.

damin69
What's DOS?
Message 13 of 27

Poko, That link does not work... :-(

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 14 of 27

@kiterider

Do you have a micrSD card installed?

1. What brand?
  2. What size?
  3. New or used/recycled from another phone or other device?
  4. Formatted by your Electrify or other device?
  5. What type files do you have on the memory card?

Corrupted format or corrupt files on the memory card can follow a replaced phone with the same issue.

Poko

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 15 of 27

@damin69

Sorry, link fixed. 

Poko

Here is another "Windows fix it" site for driver issues.

gold11
What's DOS?
Message 16 of 27

I've had the same problem and the few fixes I have found on the internet did not help.  I just uninstalled my unknown USB drivers (and anything esle unknown), uninstalled Motorola Media Link, then downloaded thier newest version from http://ftp22.nero.com/NGP/MML_Installer-v1.5.4090.2.exe.  Installed it and, Voila!  It worked!  It immediately found my device (Atrix) and allowed me to setup media sync and perform backup.  I  hope this will work for some of you, because nothing else I tried did. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 17 of 27

@gold1

gold1 wrote:

I've had the same problem and the few fixes I have found on the internet did not help.

• I just uninstalled my unknown USB drivers (and anything esle unknown),
  • uninstalled Motorola Media Link,
  • then downloaded thier newest version from http://ftp22.nero.com/NGP/MML_Installer-v1.5.4090.2.exe
  • Installed it and, Voila!  It worked!  It immediately found my device (Atrix) and allowed me to setup media sync and perform backup.  I  hope this will work for some of you, because nothing else I tried did. 

Thanks for the tip!

If this works for any  of the Electrify users, please post and update for the rest of us who are following this thread.

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
lorenamelang
What's DOS?
Message 18 of 27

Is this "MTP" part of Motorola Media Link? When I plugged my Electrify into my Win7 PC with a USB cable, a whole bunch of things automatically installed. I remember one screen where there were (I think) five things, and one of them repeatedly failed to install. I didn't bother saving the names...  It finally gave up, and the Media Link program seemed to work (such as it does...)

In real life I never use a USB cable so I didn't bother checking any farther, but this thread reminded me of that install failure.

kiterider
What's DOS?
Message 19 of 27

Poko:

You wrote:

>>Do you have a micrSD card installed? - Yes

What brand?  - Scandisk

1. What size? - 8GB
  2. New or used/recycled from another phone or other device? - New out of the package and straight into the Electrify
  3. Formatted by your Electrify or other device? Formatted by Electrify
  4. What type files do you have on the memory card? - Zero - attempting MP3 and Windows Media files ...  until the new work around. (Still unsuccessful with Motorola Media Link)

<<

Here is the Work Around

When I recieved this error in the "driver software window"

Motorola MTP Device (GREEN CHECK) Ready to use

MTP USB Device   (RED X) Failed.

To be clear this was on a factory pure Electrify and a factory pure out of the box Dell Inspiron running Windows 7 with IE as a browser.

So The Work Around -  led me to basically managing files in an explorer interface where it was seeing the Electrify as a flash drive. 

• Plug in the phone to the USB port on the PC
  • USB inticator should show on the top bar of the Electrify screen
  • Drag open the top bar
  • Ongoing should  be USB Connection
  • There should be four options in the USB Connection Window
  • Choose USB Mass Storage and click ok
  • Auto Play Window will open
  • Choose Open Folder To view files
  • You should see your phone as an MOT file
  • Manage files as you wish.
So far I ripped a discas an MP3  and movedthe album which dropped some album information and art... but the good news is that it made it!

Bad news is I still get the funky MTB USB Device failed message so the cool Motorola software and GUI is yet to be seen. 

I must say that US Cellular tech support has worked with me in a very patient and professional manner.  They were able to get the Motorola Media Link to work on an XP machine with an Electrify.  I tried with an HP machine running Vista and that failed in the same manner.

It is very unfortunate that the Google/Motorola machine is releasing bad beta phones as the latest and greatest and most expensive and there are nothing but glicthes out of the box and underperforms on promises...

Still all the phone works and it has good reception and with that surfing the internet is cool...

I hope someone comes up with the patch for this error soon.

dataylor
What's DOS?
Message 20 of 27

using an ACER laptop with Windows 7 64bit.

I have downloaded Drivers (motorola website)