cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable
Views: 410
Message 21 of 112

Re: Quits playing notification/ring sounds, WHY?

No, I haven't frozen any apps, I rooted for a number of reasons: so I could back up every aspect of the phone, apps, app data, and much more, some of which can only be backed up if rooted. So I could use the reboot function of Tasker, which can only be used if rooted. And yes I had planned to try custom ROMs until I found out the bootloader was locked on 2.3.5. I know rooting is frowned upon here, but rooting is not evil, and it should not be assumed that if someone roots their phone, they have/will screwed it up. There are legitimate reasons for rooting.

Not applicable
Message 22 of 112

AND- as I've already stated, this issue started BEFORE I rooted.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 23 of 112

@Chris77

First off, I would like you to know that just because we volunteer here on the official Motorola forums does not mean we all think that modding is "bad".  We are just not allowed to discuss the how/what/why of it here as listed in the House rules.

I never said that rooting was the root of all evil. I was just stating that I have been on this forum help other users long enough to know that when a user is rooted, they usually removed/froze/changed some file in their phone that is causing the problem. Like I mentioned above with my friend, he went without the market for 2 months before he asked me if I could help him. He did not know what he was doing. I'm not saying that you are the same way. But I don't know you very well either.

Have you looked at all the obvious things first?

Task manager?

Battery saver apps?

Are these all sound files? Do the stock ringtone and notification tones work?

Have you tried clearing out the cache partition from the android recovery menu?

Have you tried running the phone in safe mode to see if there is an app conflict?

And by the way, I use Tasker daily. Great app. One of the first ones that install on any phone I have. So I do understand rooting for the soul purpose of functioning with Tasker.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of your sound issue.

Thanks,

J

Not applicable
Message 24 of 112

Poko said:

Chris77

A rooted phone explains most of the issue here. Sorry, discussion's of issues with rooted phones is not encouraged on this forum. We can help with any stock phone though.

Poko

I apologize, I didn't intend to attack you, but Poko implied that because the phone is rooted, that automatically means that that is the culprit. I thought thats where you were coming from.

I have done a factory reset, and also have cleared the caches. I have not run in safe mode.

I have had it where the phone vibrates while receiving a call/text but no sound, so yes ringtones and notification sounds are sometimes affected, but not always. Its random.

I tried using a task manager app when I first got the phone in November, until I read that they aren't the best thing to use so I quickly removed. A couple months ago I tried using Go Launcher EX, which had a battery saver type app included, but because the battery life was way worse while using Go Launcher, I removed that as well and went back to Motorblur. But this issue started a couple months after getting the phone which was was before rooting, and Go Launcher, etc.

I have a profile in Tasker to sound the Big Ben chimes every 15 min, and that is the thing I have the most problem with. It works maybe 50% of the time, unless I reboot. Then it works for about a day at which point sometimes it goes longer, and sometimes stops working again. But it does affect all notification/ringtone sounds to some extent.

I do appreciate your help, thank you.

mrpackerguy
What's DOS?
Message 25 of 112

I thought I was crazy, I'm glad someone else is having this problem.  I'll get a notification tone for a text, then five minutes when another text comes in later I'll get vibrate only and no notification tone.  Yes, it's random.  Widh we could figure this out.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 26 of 112

@mrpackerguy

Does this happen when the second text is from the same person or does the notifacation style change happen when a different person sends the next text?

Poko

mrpackerguy
What's DOS?
Message 27 of 112

Poko said:

@mrpackerguy

Does this happen when the second text is from the same person or does the notifacation style change happen when a different person sends the next text?

Poko

I'm not rightly sure.  But I'll pay attention to that next time it happens.  It's so random, that's what's frustrating.  I do, however, always get a vibrate.

Not applicable
Message 28 of 112

I'm just glad to see more people come forward about this- I though I was the only one at first. mrpackerguy, just out of curiosity, do you use the Tasker app, and are you rooted? Just trying to see under what conditions you are experiencing this. Also, what version of Android are you on, I am on 2.3.5 and I almost think this started after the update, but could be wrong.

mrpackerguy
What's DOS?
Message 29 of 112

Chris77 said:

I'm just glad to see more people come forward about this- I though I was the only one at first. mrpackerguy, just out of curiosity, do you use the Tasker app, and are you rooted? Just trying to see under what conditions you are experiencing this. Also, what version of Android are you on, I am on 2.3.5 and I almost think this started after the update, but could be wrong.

Not rooted. 2.3.5  I use the stock Task Manager app.  Got a text from my wife - got the notification tone.  Got another a couple minutes later - got the notification tone.  SO right now, working fine

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 30 of 112

@mrpackerguy

Under Settings > Sound > Volumn: do you have "use incoming call volumn for notifacations" checked? Wondering if that is the effect of your text vibrate if/when your ring volumn is adjusted down to vibrate?

Poko