cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 325
Message 91 of 112

Re: Quits playing notification/ring sounds, WHY?

Raistiff said:

I just checked our phones. We do not have Omxplayer on the stock Phone.

View original

Thank you for checking.

That it is not on a stock device may point you towards a resolution to your problem, @chris77.

@raistiff:  would you be able to see if using a 3rd party launcher resolves the sound issue?  Since you have 2 Electrify devices, perhaps only try it on one of them and leave the stock launcher on the other?

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Not applicable
Message 92 of 112

Chris77 said:

I dont have anything called OMXPlayer, so I'm thinking it has to be internal. 

View original

If you re-read my comment, I said "I dont have anything called OMXPlayer, so I'm thinking it has to be internal. Because I don't have an app called OMXPlayer, so I think it may be Motorolas internal audio player. I think it may be Motorolas INTERNAL audio player. Because I dont have an app called OMXPlayer, installed on my phone.

Actually, if the 3rd party launcher fixed the problem, it may not be hardware related afterall- it sounds like it may be Motorolas overstuffed "Motoblur."

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 93 of 112

Chris77 said:

Chris77 said:

I dont have anything called OMXPlayer, so I'm thinking it has to be internal. 

View original

If you re-read my comment, I said "I dont have anything called OMXPlayer, so I'm thinking it has to be internal. Because I don't have an app called OMXPlayer, so I think it may be Motorolas internal audio player. I think it may be Motorolas INTERNAL audio player. Because I dont have an app called OMXPlayer, installed on my phone.

View original

@chris

Apologies--I read right past that!  My flimsy excuse is that I've been helping in a soak for 2 days and my eyes are gritty tired Smiley Happy

I did another Google Search.....and many pages later I found an obscure comment that seems to back up your thinking.  The comment was this:  "...since it uses the same nVidia OMX player." This comment pertained to the Atrix 4G and Photon 4G, which are the other 2 devices for the triplets (including the Electrify).

As to why that process is throwing faults, I'm not technical enough to know.  A log reader might come in handy, but for me that's like trying to read another language.  I can sometimes get the gist of what is going on, but I miss a lot because I am totally lacking in coding skills.

Is this OMXplayer comment related to the notification sounds problem [I ask belatedly...see, I am tired  Smiley Happy  ]?  

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Not applicable
Message 94 of 112

Yes, I think it may be. There was an error, something to the effect that the player was waiting after finishing, so I'm thinking maybe it plays one notification, and waits so that the next one cant play, or something to that effect.

I got those errors from a log, but like you said, thats like reading a different language. I can only get clues as to whats going on.

Raistiff
What's DOS?
Message 95 of 112

I would rather not try tinkering around with a launcher. Never really interested me. But I might this weekend if I have some spare time just to finally resolve this(if it does).

Would GO launcher EX be a good choice? Also would there be any difficulty in reverting back to the original launcher afterwords?

Not applicable
Message 96 of 112

I've tried other launchers in the past, dont remember now if it helped that situation, but it killed the battery. Drain was atrocious. So I switched back. Not hard, just uninstall the 3rd party launcher.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 97 of 112

Chris77 said:

I've tried other launchers in the past, dont remember now if it helped that situation, but it killed the battery. Drain was atrocious. So I switched back. Not hard, just uninstall the 3rd party launcher.

View original

@chris

If you would, try some of the 3rd party launchers now.  As you know, devs are constantly tweaking their apps to make them better so what may have sucked (literally and figuratively) in the past may be much better now.

I personally like Holo Launcher because it has a small footprint (I'm a storage miser) yet a robust feature set.  Based on popularity and ratings, I'm sure you'll find a few others that are worth trying, namely ADW which @remarkable is using and has stated remedied the notification issue for them.

Please let us know if this solution works for you, and which launcher you chose (and why).

Thanks, and good luck!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 98 of 112

Raistiff said:

I would rather not try tinkering around with a launcher. Never really interested me. But I might this weekend if I have some spare time just to finally resolve this(if it does).

Would GO launcher EX be a good choice? Also would there be any difficulty in reverting back to the original launcher afterwords?

View original

@raistiff

I used GoLauncherEX for almost a year and loved it.  One of their updates, however, added some push ads to my device.  I had to use Addons Detector to find this, and after I realized which app was the culprit I was so annoyed that I removed it.  I tried ADW and Nova, and ended up with Holo Launcher.  All 4 are worth trying, I think, as they are the top rated alternative launchers on Google Play.

As @chris says, if you don't like it, just uninstall and go on to the next one Smiley Happy

Best of luck!

Not applicable
Message 99 of 112

OK, I just now remembered to restart my phone in safe mode. So far, the camera, and music playing are fine, been in safe mode now for about an hour. When I restart my phone normally, the camera, etc, work fine for a while usually, but then after a while start failing. So we'll see how safe mode goes. If it is determined that it is an app causing some of these problems, are there clues as to which one it is, or do I have to start uninstalling all apps and reinstalling one at a time (something I REALLY don't want to have to do, having over a hundred 3rd party apps installed.)

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 100 of 112

Chris77 said:

OK, I just now remembered to restart my phone in safe mode. So far, the camera, and music playing are fine, been in safe mode now for about an hour. When I restart my phone normally, the camera, etc, work fine for a while usually, but then after a while start failing. So we'll see how safe mode goes. If it is determined that it is an app causing some of these problems, are there clues as to which one it is, or do I have to start uninstalling all apps and reinstalling one at a time (something I REALLY don't want to have to do, having over a hundred 3rd party apps installed.)

View original

@chris:  

Fingers crossed.  Just run your test long enough to be sure that your issue went away while in Safe Mode...

If you come to the conclusion that a 3rd party app is causing the issue, then you do have to start the process of trying to establish which app is the culprit. 

Depending on how many apps you have, you can work backwards (eliminate sets of apps and test for a while, then do the next set and so on) or forwards (eliminate all apps and add sets of apps, test, then add some more, etc).  

You can also try Aspotcat, which will list apps by permission.  Sometimes this works to identify which apps have access to the camera or whatever is not working correctly.

Hope this helps...please let us know what steps you take and how things progress.