cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
woodslink
What's DOS?
Views: 510
Message 71 of 112

Re: Quits playing notification/ring sounds, WHY?

Has anyone tried the SoundAbout app in the Google Play store?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 72 of 112

woodslink said:

Has anyone tried the SoundAbout app in the Google Play store?

View original

Thanks for the tip--hope it helps!

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 73 of 112

Chris77 said:

You know, I'm really getting pissed the hell off. Now, not only does the sounds not work half the time, but most of the time the camera won't work. "camera cannot be initialized." How does motorola get away with selling this crap? Its not because of root, many people who aren't rooted experience the same things, so I don't want to hear it.View original

Chris77:  because you have multiple issues, have you looked into having some diagnostics done on the device at a USC shop?  Or inquired about sending the device in to Motorola for repair under warranty?

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Not applicable
Message 74 of 112

Well, first, my warranty is expired, I've had the phone for about a year, and I'm not sure its just MY phone. A LOT of people have similar complaints about this phone. I think this is just a poorly designed and manufactured phone. Now not only do I have the problems listed above, but playing any arcade style game on it is near impossible because the virtual screen buttons dont stay held. As an example, when I play a racing game, the accelerator wont stay "pushed." I also can't just send my phone in to motorola, and what- be without one for several weeks? I have lost all respect for Motorola, at least in the phone market, just because of the hell this phone has put me through. I will NEVER buy a motorola phone again.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 75 of 112

Chris77 said:

Also forgot to mention, but my phone is rooted, and I just downloaded root explorer. Can I put ringtones and notification tones in the /system/audio folder? Would it work better?View original

Chris77

Being that your phone is rooted, it is understandable that many stock features would misbehave. You are fortunate that the phone still mostly function and the phone has not yet sir come to becoming a Brick. 

Not applicable
Message 76 of 112

LOL. Are you serious? We're back to that again? I thought we've gone beyond that. Rooting a phone does not cause it to become a brick. You sound like you're reaching now. Tell me, how does rooting a phone make it "understandable that many stock features would misbehave?" No, no- you're gonna need to explain it to me. I'm sick of you making comments like that and not backing it up. Explain to me in detail what you mean by that. There are comments right here in this thread from people who have NOT rooted their phone, and they have the same issues I do. Either be helpful, or refrain from commenting further, sir.

Not applicable
Message 77 of 112

FYI: All that rooting means,...  {edited for inapropriate content]      

~~~Please restrain from further talk on the Rooting Subject~~~

See House Rules for exceptable discusion content. Edited by Poko(MOD) [1]

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 78 of 112

Chris77 said:

LOL. Are you serious? We're back to that again? I thought we've gone beyond that. Rooting a phone does not cause it to become a brick. You sound like you're reaching now. Tell me, how does rooting a phone make it "understandable that many stock features would misbehave?" No, no- you're gonna need to explain it to me. I'm sick of you making comments like that and not backing it up. Explain to me in detail what you mean by that. There are comments right here in this thread from people who have NOT rooted their phone, and they have the same issues I do. Either be helpful, or refrain from commenting further, sir.

View original

I'll explain it, with this being said first. Discussion of rooting and other hacking/modding is against the house rules. Period. If you know enough to know what root is, you'll know the forums to go to discuss it.

But, this is good general knowledge anyway.

Rooting a phone gives you access to things that everyday users shouldn't have access to for the regular use of their phones. Yes, you can remove "bloatware" however unless you know every app and what all those apps do, removing one can have impacts on other apps. Imagine on your PC uninstalling a driver on your PC you think you didn't need because it was for a printer you sold three months ago, then the next time you use your PC with a USB mouse it says "sorry, I don't know what this is".

This is where people bring up software that allows freezing and backing up apps so you can put them back if they cause problems, and that's true, but that also underscores the balance between walking blindly into the world of rooting because "everyone else does" and doing it because you have a specific, real reason to do it. And by the way, freezing apps is not really a valid reason to root anymore since you can disable them entirely on phones running ICS and better.

In addition, rooting enables the ability for malicious software access to your phone (sometimes without your permission) to steal your personal information. Not every app is malicious, but some are and on a rooted phone they can run rampant.

So, you root, you run a script or install something that you think is going to get you somewhere on your device, and you accidentally install malicious code or enter a command that changes a mount, permissions of a critical file, or deletes something, and your phone is not only bricked but you've also voided the warranty.

In addition (in general terms), some copy-restricted media and software won't even run properly on a rooted device (DRMs movies, ISIS, etc).

All in all, unless you have a very specific purpose, you know what you're doing, and you're willing to run the risk (not guarantee) of bricking your device and being left without support, why bother?

Raistiff
What's DOS?
Message 79 of 112

Same thing has been happening to mine and my wifes Electrify's as well. Even recently did the factory reset as well. Still stops playing the sound notifications randomly. Most recent time was that the alarm worked minutes before going to bed and then no alarm in the morning, just the vibrating..... So besides the alarm, there was no other apps started during that time.

This really needs to be fixed.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 80 of 112

@Chris77 - Poko is volunteer like I am. We spend our free time trying to help people that are having problems. Although you don't like being told that rooting could be the cause of your problem, there is no way to rule out that it is not the cause. You can't prove a negative.

So as people that are trying to help, we try to offer help where there is a known good configuration - after that, is it software or some third party app. If all phones are not having a problem, it can't be the software build from the factory and it must be something additional that is either causing the problem or possibly exposing some bug.

But, by claiming that rooting has no affect means that you are ignoring the ability to discuss a known consistent baseline across all devices.

MK1151 mentions many of the possible issues, but the other issues are that some system files are changed in order to root a device. This is not the same as the built in methods on google devices - so by modifying system files, you have thrown a wild card into the system and opened the door for other things.

This is why we talk about stock phones, and if there are problems, go to a factory reset to get a clean baseline. With a rooted phone, you can never get to that clean baseline as the phone can't be unrooted easily - Moto doesn't publish the system files for people to "put back".

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum