Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryansgf
What's DOS?
Views: 85
Message 1 of 9

Random Reboot

This is plauging the Photon from what I understand, and I think mine has started to experience this issue. Instead of asking for a fix, I'm going to provide as much information as I can:

Random Reboot

• Initial Reboot has no sound signifying restart.
  • Conidtions I have experienced reboot are:

• Work Computer Charging

• Windows XP Enterprise
      • No USB Charging Drivers Downloaded
      • USB Mode set to "Charging Only".
    • Low Signal Strenght

• On CMDA network, 1x Greyed out
      • On CMDA Network, 3x Greyed out.
    • Music Player was on

• Player Pro
  • Battery was an average usage temperature.
  • Battery was plugged into charge but was not charging.

• Stayed at 80% and 90% both times
  • Unable to recieve text Messages
  • Trouble Sending Text messages.
  • Internet Access Troubles
  • Wifi and GPS signal on and searching

• Wifi not in use.

Other than this the phone was operating normal, as I usually experience it.

I'm attempting to not use the work computer to charge any longer, and see my results. My worry is, I'm not receiving text messages or calls I should be receiving. I'll continue to monitor this next week and post my results. I'd encourage anyone experiencing this as well to maybe do thier own posts in this topic.

Initial thoughts are that the low signal strength combined with unsuitable charging environment were causing it to either signify it was overheating or somewhow casuing an error.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 9

Re: Random Reboot

@ryansgf

Please notify wherever you purchased the phone that you are having trouble with the phone.  It is simply a way to document the problem should it continue.

Your post is nice a clear--thanks!

ryansgf wrote:

This is plauging the Photon from what I understand, and I think mine has started to experience this issue. Instead of asking for a fix, I'm going to provide as much information as I can:

Random Reboot

• Initial Reboot has no sound signifying restart.
  • Conidtions I have experienced reboot are:

• Work Computer Charging

• Windows XP Enterprise
      • No USB Charging Drivers Downloaded
      • USB Mode set to "Charging Only".
    • Low Signal Strenght

• On CMDA network, 1x Greyed out
      • On CMDA Network, 3x Greyed out.
    • Music Player was on

• Player Pro
  • Battery was an average usage temperature.
  • Battery was plugged into charge but was not charging.

• Stayed at 80% and 90% both times
  • Unable to recieve text Messages
  • Trouble Sending Text messages.
  • Internet Access Troubles
  • Wifi and GPS signal on and searching

• Wifi not in use.

Other than this the phone was operating normal, as I usually experience it.

I'm attempting to not use the work computer to charge any longer, and see my results. My worry is, I'm not receiving text messages or calls I should be receiving. I'll continue to monitor this next week and post my results. I'd encourage anyone experiencing this as well to maybe do thier own posts in this topic.

Initial thoughts are that the low signal strength combined with unsuitable charging environment were causing it to either signify it was overheating or somewhow casuing an error.

A lot of the items that you listed (except charging) are radio issues.  Consider updating your profile and PRL [menu>>>settings>>>about phone>>>system updates] and also checking for any Motorola Firmware updates.

Make sure to use the Motorola OEM charging cable and plug (that came with the phone) when charging the phone.

How long have you had the phone? 

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
ryansgf
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 9

I've had the phone for just over a week.  I have not experienced any random reboots at home or while out in other public places with excellent to fair singal, or while plugged in to my home computer.  I'm almost positive it's a comibination of battery (improper charging) and cellular radio problems, casuing either errors or overheating.

I have an otterbox over it, so i'm unsure of exactly how it it becomes.

I've also checked for updates and it says my phone is up to date.

If the problem persists I'll make sure to notify the store of the problem.

Thanks for your reply!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 9

Most stores have a limited time to return the device for a swap.  That is why you want it documented ASAP.

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
ryansgf
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 9

The store's policy is 30 days, which gives me enough time to watch it for a few more.

Thank you again for your help!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 9

@ryansgf

Note of caution:  one user reported that the store they went back to counted 30 days and he was one day late because he figured buy on the 30th, and return by the 29th (apparently the month before had 31 days....). 

Keep us posted.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 7 of 9

Just a small piece of advice that I have seen first hand, and by plenty of users on this forum. When you get a new phone, and you insert a SD card from a different phone into the new phone, please back up and format the SD card.

Also, I know this may seems crazy, but when I get a new phone I usually format all memory, and do a reset from the androind recovery menu, just to make sure that it is all clean and set for me to start playing with.

But at the very least, it would be a good idea to format any SD cards when inserted into the phone, with the phone. usually this setting can be found in settings -> storage.

Thanks,

J

Highlighted
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 8 of 9

I agree with J, always format your new or recycled memory card from your new phone. Backup any important files on the card first before formatting.

Poko

pdmustgt
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 9

I'm on my second Electrify with bluetooth issues won't recieve calls, can't switch from bluetooth to phone, random reboots, miss calls and texts won't show up on phone. Theres Major software issue with this phone. Phone is fast I like the phone but is really making me mad