cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 555
Message 21 of 54

Re: Time to come Clean Motorola (Electrify - Blur ROMS)

@cythrawl

If you did a complete restore to factory settings with US Cellulars tech help, (uses the On/Off and Volume buttons in stead of the reset found in Settings)all linked emails for registration are removed, looks about the same as went the phone was new. Your primary email is needed to activate and restore your saved phone setting (if you had the restore option checked in Settings).
All agreements should be viewed and excepted again if you want to use US Cellular network for communications and be able to get future phone updates.

I guess any cell phone, no matter the Brand and/or any Carrier/Provider, is not a device of choice to use if total privacy is the only concern here.

Poko

cythrawl
What's DOS?
Message 22 of 54

@Poko that is what was done.  I always do Master resets with the Recovery mode...I have also done RSD restores of the phone to 2.3.5 and after the inital programming (after doing a master clear) it is EXACTLY the same... no different to what I just showed you.. 

A new phone out of the box is EXACTLY the same as well.. 

So nice try in calling me out there... I can give other reasons why I know this was done, but for one I am NOT stating them here on Motorola's Public Forums.

I would also like to add that Motrola isnt making any friends right now either... Charging customers for a new device to get a RAZR unlocked? Not releasing a Bootloader unlocked for existing RAZR customers...

Total Privacy is NOT my concern here (and its something you dont seem to grasp) However unwarranted tracking even if I dont agree to the terms, IS a concern.. That and hiding it so well in the EULA that people dont have a clue. Seriously that EULA is like some kind of shady contract - it IS in there, but it is so hidden in legal jargon that your average joe will fail to understand it.. Now that in my books is taking advantage of people..

That Samsung Galaxy S2 is looking better and better every day. Once US Cellular has it (which is soon), this phone will be sold and I have learned that owning a Motorola (Read - Locked down - Preloaded with spyware - Motorola wont admit it or even address it publically (although I am holding hope that Mark will champion this and prove me wrong)- Shunning the modding communuty from thier devices (UNLIKE SAMSUNG)!!!!!) phone is not a good thing after all.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 23 of 54

@cythrawl

Wow... " So nice try in calling me out there..."
For the not so techie people reading this, there is a difference in types of resets to a phone, that's all.

Poko

cythrawl
What's DOS?
Message 24 of 54

@ Poko, your previous post looked like (to me an anyone else reading it) that because it wasnt done a set way that it would be wrong..

I am telling you it makes no difference. so yes I got on my high horse about it, because its like you are trying to make me look like I dont know what I am doing... 

And lets be clear here. Most non techy people would not even understand the first post, never mind on the different ways to reset a phone. This isnt about that. It is about how Motorola is using EULA's to protect themselves from dubious practices by taking advantage of those said non techie people..

So what do you have to say about that?

cythrawl
What's DOS?
Message 25 of 54

An update on this...

I downloaded the System Dump for the Motorola RAZR from Verizon. And again those APK's are in the ROM. And here we are almost 2 weeks later and we are still none the wiser on what they do, what they collect, and why.

And still no statement from Motorola... 

Make of this what you will, but I have already made my mind up..

Highlighted
Mark_Emeritus Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 26 of 54

@cythrawl

I'm still following this topic and asking for information. Soon as I have it, I'll post it here. While we're waiting for that I encourage you to contact: privacy@motorola.com to opt out.

Mark
Support Forums Manager

Mark
Former Employee
cythrawl
What's DOS?
Message 27 of 54

Mark (Forums Manager) said:

@cythrawl

I'm still following this topic and asking for information. Soon as I have it, I'll post it here. While we're waiting for that I encourage you to contact: privacy@motorola.com to opt out.

Mark
Support Forums Manager

As I already stated, I am not using the Motorola Stock ROM on my device, however as other users have updated to 2.3.5 and have promptly had thier booloaders locked they dont have that luxury. I posted the main post for 2 reasons.

1) It really bugs me that this is slipped in the OS (even though I am not using that OS at the moment)

2) Its about time someone said something about it.. 

The fact of the matter is that my points still stand...

• On the Electrify (at the very least) its gathering data right after boot up and log in with Google, and not after the EULA is prmpted to the customer but BEFORE its displayed (if at all if you dont add any more accounts using Motorola's Add Account section)

• Its also on the newer (non USCC) Motorola phones and I am assuming its doing the same thing.

• I (and many others) just want to know what these APK's do, and why if you disable them (if rooted) the phone functions just fine even if you add accounts under Motorola's Add Account after they are frozen. 

I will wait to see if you can find out these and the other points I have brought up...

If not, and this thread just gets "forgotten" then I will be persuing this by other means.
the_truth
What's DOS?
Message 28 of 54

*bump* for privacy concerns.

So how about just unlocking our bootloaders? I, for one, agreed to no motoblur eula, and I do not agree with data collection on my phone. I see 3 ways to rectify this situation. 1 unlock my bootloader so that I can use a non motoblur based software. 2 provide the option for a full device refund, including the cost of the subsidy from the carrier contract. 3 compile a flashable developer build that does not contain motoblur or any "device enhancements".

Just my 2 cents!
krusej23
What's DOS?
Message 29 of 54

cythrawl said:

Mark (Forums Manager) said:

@cythrawl

Mark
Support Forums Manager

As I already stated, I am not using the Motorola Stock ROM on my device, however as other users have updated to 2.3.5 and have promptly had thier booloaders locked they dont have that luxury. I posted the main post for 2 reasons.

1) It really bugs me that this is slipped in the OS (even though I am not using that OS at the moment)

2) Its about time someone said something about it.. 

The fact of the matter is that my points still stand...

• On the Electrify (at the very least) its gathering data right after boot up and log in with Google, and not after the EULA is prmpted to the customer but BEFORE its displayed (if at all if you dont add any more accounts using Motorola's Add Account section)

• Its also on the newer (non USCC) Motorola phones and I am assuming its doing the same thing.

• I (and many others) just want to know what these APK's do, and why if you disable them (if rooted) the phone functions just fine even if you add accounts under Motorola's Add Account after they are frozen. 

I will wait to see if you can find out these and the other points I have brought up...

If not, and this thread just gets "forgotten" then I will be persuing this by other means.

You need to calm down and relax a little bit. People are trying to help you out with your question and you are attacking them.

Not everything is a conspiracy theory.

If you don't like what Motorola is doing with their phones, get a different phone. You agreed to it and until you go reading all of the agreements that you agreed to then you probably shouldn't start throwing stones at people.

cythrawl
What's DOS?
Message 30 of 54

You need to calm down and relax a little bit. People are trying to help you out with your question and you are attacking them.

Not everything is a conspiracy theory.

If you don't like what Motorola is doing with their phones, get a different phone. You agreed to it and until you go reading all of the agreements that you agreed to then you probably shouldn't start throwing stones at people.

IF you had even been BOTHERED to read this thread, you would see that the fact is that I DIDNT or DONT agree to it, and yet it still tracks data. 

IF you had even been BOTHERED to look at the set by step screenshot setup I made you would see that there is NO EULA on the Electrify that pops up UNTIL you add another account (Which is completely OPPOSITE to what Motorola States - AND you dont even need to do) but it STILL TRACKS YOU BEFORE you agree to ANYTHING!!!

Do you get it now??? 

Oh and your comment about another phone, I don't know what magical carrier YOU use, but once you get a phone you are usually stuck with it for at least 12 months. Unless you are going to pony up the cash for me to just "Go out and buy a new phone". That answer is NOT acceptable in the very least..

Now I suggest you read the thread in its entirety including external links before you offer any more of your "valued" input... Thanks