cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cythrawl
What's DOS?
Views: 436
Message 41 of 54

Re: Time to come Clean Motorola (Electrify - Blur ROMS)

l1willia said:

I'm so glad I found this thread- I would also like to know what those processes are.  I contacted support directly and they wouldn't answer, tried to blame the carrier.  I contacted the carrier who didn't know about it.  

My main issue isn't privacy concerns, it's battery life.  DataCollector and PollScheduler (not listed in the initial post) were keeping my phone awake for hours at a time, which reduced my battery life to 4-5 hours- with no usage.  Just sitting there, powered on, my battery would die.  I tried to stop the processes but they'd turn themselves back on.  As you can imagine a cell phone with no real battery life is pretty useless, hence my curiosity at what these things actually are.

I'm looking forward to hopefully getting some kind of answer.

If you could post the permissions list of PollScheduler (Go to manage applications under settings and select all and find it) I can add it to the OP. ( I would do it, but I am not running nor do I intend to put back on Motorola's Stock ROM)

Im not suprised you got the finger blame going to the carrier. I know for a fact that US Cellular doesnt know what these services do, and the fact they are on Sprint's Photon and Verizons RAZR as well, just clearly states that its a Morotola thing and not a Carrier thing... 

grabauj
What's DOS?
Message 42 of 54

Cythrawl, here are the permissions you asked for.

Pollscheduler:

• Your messages (read sms or mms)

• Your personal information (read calendar events read contact data)

cythrawl
What's DOS?
Message 43 of 54

Mark,

Almost 2 months now and we still are none the wiser than when we started... 

I find this most concerning.... Not a thing... Nada.... Zip...

Does anyone else find this concerning?

Cabbal
What's DOS?
Message 44 of 54

I very serously do. So serious im currently scheming on a way to get rid of this phone, due to the fact i conduct private business over my phone on an hourly basis that i want no corporate entity or government agency knowing about. And as a CCNP with heavy IT Security Background, as soon as this post was posted, i could immediatley deduce for myself that if Motorola has installed a means of heavy data collection into the phone, not only can Motorola and the Government access this data as they please, other, badder people, such as Hackers and Identity Theives can use the same road that Motorola built to steal your credit card numbers from the market and all kinds of other good stuff. You would be surprised at the information you enter about yourself on your phone and dont even realise it. This next sentence is for all you naysayers and --personal attack removed-- who mock us and talk down to us like were --profanity removed-- when we --profanity removed-- about our privacy.

Imagine if someone used this road to hack into your 14 year old daughters phone and retrieve personal images off it? We all know what young women like to do with their phones. What if it was your daughter? Or your girlfriend or wife at that? Or what if it was your phone that was hacked and you had private images of your signifigant other on it and then they end up on the internet?

Thankyou Motorola for building the road hackers use to commute to our private info.

Maybe you should start charging a toll or some --profanity removed-- while your at it.

--Edited by Mark (Forums Manager)

cythrawl
What's DOS?
Message 45 of 54

Well, here we are now MONTHS since I posted and NOT A SINGLE THING found out about those APK's (Despite many promises that it was being looked into).

So I think we ALL know what they are doing, and why they wont respond on what they do..

So for those who are stuck with Motoblur Spyware and Malware on your phone and want to get rid of it, I suggest you look on XDA for Lokifish Marz universal Deblur (Photon Section)- Be aware it WILL void your warranty, but IMO Warranty vs Privacy is a non issue now.

Get rid of it, stop using it... My Electrify is now for sale and I will NEVER own another Motorola Device again, you have LOST me as a customer now, and I hope you are happy with the outcome Motorola...

Adios.

--MODding link removed. Edited by Mark (Forums Manager). The link was removed because it involves a process to modify your phone which voids the manufacturer warranty. Motorola Mobility does not condone such practices. [1]

cythrawl
What's DOS?
Message 46 of 54

Just to let you all know, The Electrify is gone.

I am now on a Samsung Galaxy S2, with ZERO spyware, ZERO Locked down bootloaders and ZERO Privacy issues.

I am free to install ICS and CM7, and to be honest I dont need to as the Stock ROM is more than meeting my needs for a phone..

My Advice, if its bugging you as much as it was me, and the fact that Motorola cant even have the common decency to come clean on why and what these bits of obviously malicious software does, is sell it.. You can EASILY get $230 for your device on Ebay if its in good condition. You can get a used SGS2 for USCC for around $300, no messing with contracts or nothing...

I am now free of the shackles and it feels great... 

And for the record, I will NEVER own a Motorola device again, unless Google does some serious ass whooping due to their recent acquisition.

I repeat, I HOPE you are HAPPY with the outcome Motorola... 

Highlighted
cwill0303
What's DOS?
Message 47 of 54

Still nothing?? Really?? I guess Samsung will be my next phone! Lets go Galaxy S III!!!!

jeepon02
What's DOS?
Message 48 of 54

Wow - what an eye opener - still nothing? - If there was only a way to get more people to actualy read this entire thread.. I will be honest I love my /\/\otorola devices - or - i did... 

@ cythrawl where you ever contacted off site by Motorola? - This is a big enough issue to switch to Samsung - 

BoredUltimatum
What's DOS?
Message 49 of 54

And here I thought I was in the clear not having CarrierIQ. Apparently I was wrong. I only noticed this because I rooted and was browsing the system folder. Once my contract is up I just might be looking into other manufacturers. The only reason I don't flash CyanogenMod, even with its reviews and my knowhow, is that I don't feel like going into all of that. I've had my share of modding experience and it doesn't always work well. This however, just might make me mod.

Kilyar
What's DOS?
Message 50 of 54

anything new?