Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sfoster95
What's DOS?
Views: 329
Message 1 of 8

electrify doesn't show all of my 32gb sd card

I have looked everywhere and don't see this question. I installed a 32gb sd card. I formatted it via the phone. In settings/storage it shows the 29.66gb total space, 24.36gb available space. However when I go to either APS2SD or manage apps via settings it shows 8.91gb total and 7.11gb available. Why is it only showing 8gb total and not 29.66???

Thanks,

Shannon

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 8

Re: electrify doesn't show all of my 32gb sd card

Shannon

The Electrify has an internal SD card, and you have added an external 32GB SD card. You are probably veiwing the internal card. Most Apps are installed on the Internal memory.

Let us know if you find the External SD card portions you are looking for.

Poko

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 3 of 8

@sfoster

To see the available storage card space, perform the following steps:

1. Press the Menu key from the Home Screen

2. Touch Settings

3. Scroll down the screen, then touch Storage

4. The total and available storage card space display in the SD card section

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
sfoster95
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 8

Umm sorry reiterate what I previously posted but this is what I see....

settings/storage/SDCard  total 29.66 available 24.36gb

however when I go to manage apps and Media it shows 8.91gb total(not 29.66) and 7.11gb available (not 24.36)

I made sure in setttings that I have External SD card set for storage location.

I asked UScellular and they told me that I have to specify the amount of storage used on my SD card for apps,docs etc. But don't see how do that so will just leave it. 8gb is plenty but was just concerned that it wasn't reporting the whole amount of space on the card.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 5 of 8

@sfoster

When you are in the manage apps screen and hit the "media" tab, you are seeing the media area of the internal, on-device storage.  It is not referring to your removeable storage card.

The Electrify has on-board (aka "internal") storage of 16GB.

Under Internal phone storage, you will see the following for internal memory:

• Application Storage: 2.83GB

• Internal Storage Available: 8.9GB

This adds up to ~12GB that is available to users. The rest is phone code in the software.

The Electrify can use removeable microSD cards of up to 32GB (note:  best to stick with Class 4 and below speeds on the SD cards)

To see the available storage card space, perform the following steps:

1. Press the Menu key from the Home Screen

2. Touch Settings

3. Scroll down the screen, then touch Storage

4. The total and available storage card space display in the SD card section

Trust me, this question comes up a lot for the newer phones that have on-board storage capability....

Hope this helps.

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Not applicable
Message 6 of 8

You know, I've been wondering about this as well. When I go to move files to the PC I use an app called AirDroid, and it only shows that I have Internal Storage n/3.0GB, SD Card n/8.9GB. (n = what ever is used, irrelevant.) I have a 32GB EXTERNAL SD card installed. It doesn't seem to be recognized - either that or it assumes that the app storage part of the Internal Storage is the whole internal storage and the other section, "Internal Storage" is the external SD card. It just doesnt seem to be reported correctly.

Edit: I know, I know, then go and talk to the developer of that app- BUT, its not just that app, its also in Astro File Manager, so I wonder if the phone itself is not reporting the correct numbers.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 7 of 8

Chris77 said:

You know, I've been wondering about this as well. When I go to move files to the PC I use an app called AirDroid, and it only shows that I have Internal Storage n/3.0GB, SD Card n/8.9GB. (n = what ever is used, irrelevant.) I have a 32GB EXTERNAL SD card installed. It doesn't seem to be recognized - either that or it assumes that the app storage part of the Internal Storage is the whole internal storage and the other section, "Internal Storage" is the external SD card. It just doesnt seem to be reported correctly.

Edit: I know, I know, then go and talk to the developer of that app- BUT, its not just that app, its also in Astro File Manager, so I wonder if the phone itself is not reporting the correct numbers.

View original

@chris:  any way to test with a different SD card?  And what comes up on the computer when you connect using USB Mass Storage mode?

• 8.9GB is the internal SD storage.  That's always how I identify it as different from the removeable one.

sfoster95
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 8

I am guessing that it may be an ICS issue related to the ability of moving apps to sd card being removed in ICS maybe if we get that ability back with Jellybean it will then show correctly when using file manager or apps to sd.