Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kansanian
Punch Card
Views: 128
Message 1 of 16

focus on camcorder gone

Hello, I seem to have lost the autofocus on the camcorder app - it doesn't want to autofocus or "continus" focus.  Both choices do nothing.

The camera will focus, but the camcorder just sits there at whatever default... 

Worked fine for awhile after a reset, but seems to have suddenly stopped again.

No amount of power cycling changes anything.  I had ATK running, tried stopping that at startup, no effect.  Only have few other apps installed, such as Rhapsody.

Any advice other than another reset?  ...Not really wanting to 'root' it just for a different camera/camcorder app, that seems a little extreme.  Tried an "MIUI" app, but it seemed out of date, and wouldn't autofocus on camcorder either.........

Only other (BAD) glitch, which forced me to do factory reset, was inability to remove "corporate" email acct. after adding/removing/adding - it was "stuck" somehow and would not let me remove it.  I have since removed it successfully after the reset, but have gone with "Touchdown" for email.

Other than the camcorder bug, and the email client glitch, it's a solid device!  Any advice would be most appreciated... thanks!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 16

Re: focus on camcorder gone

Not a fan of ATK.  Your phone came with a Task Manager, therefore you have an app that duplicates function...which sometimes has less than desirable results.

So after reset it works, but after a while it won't work again?  To me this indicates that you have the functionality, but that perhaps something is interfering with it?

I would try another reset if it isn't too much trouble, and only add one app per day to see if you can isolate one of the apps as a culprit.

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 3 of 16

kansanian

Welcome...

The only time my Electrify does not auto focus is when I have a smudge on the lens, but I'm sure you checked that.

One of your apps may have corrupted the video software... save you pictures, etc. to your PC first, if you do a Factory Reset.

Rooting will only Void your Warranty... That topic discussion is not allowed on this forum site, sorry.

Keep us informed, thanks.

Poko

kansanian
Punch Card
Message 4 of 16

Yeah, I checked for smudges   ...it's about a week old... nothing scratched.  And yeah, no desire to mess with with topics which aren't allowed here either, sorry about that.

eaccents
As for ATK, yeah, I did it for kicks - agree it's very needed since there's one basically built in.  Will uninstall it, and then go through other apps.  If that doesn't work, I'll prepare for another reset when I have time - takes awhile to go through all the settings, restore contacts, etc.

After that, I guess I'll go through the "one a day" routine.

Thanks for the suggestions, will see how it goes

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 5 of 16

Please keep us posted on how it goes

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
kansanian
Punch Card
Message 6 of 16

Alright, I went for it.  Uninstalling ATK (plus a couple other apps) had no effect (even after power cycle).

No auto/continuous focus on camcorder after fresh reset and power cycle.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 7 of 16

Power cycle is at least 3-5 minutes?

kansanian
Punch Card
Message 8 of 16

Yeah, I waited for it to fully boot up, twice.  Only other possible difference were the 2-3 pics in the 'gallery' - deleted those (test pics anyway really) and doing another wipe right now, including internal memory. 

There is an 8GB SD card also installed, from my previous phone (HTC Desire), with some mp3s, old pictures, contacts backup, etc.

kansanian
Punch Card
Message 9 of 16

Still no luck.

The camera, I've noticed, also seems to randomly want to pre-focus.  It was stuck on not being able to focus, not even manually, and is now auto-focusing, BUT, the camcorder still doesn't ...at all..

(edit:  I should say the camera wouldn't pre-focus before, at least consistently - it WOULD always focus right before snapping the picture, but that would have mixed results).

I've even taken the card out, power cycled a few more times, still no luck.  I know the focus works, I've seen it (last week anyway), so it seems very unlikely that it's a hardware fault.  Also, the camera app is now back to focusing.

Gotta say it's something in software at this point.  Surely there can be an update for this (and Droid 3 users) that makes everyone a little more happy - seems like a common bug across these new models, except my Electrify appears to have the opposite problem from a Droid 3 (instead of trying too hard to auto-focus, it just doesn't ).

kansanian
Punch Card
Message 10 of 16

For kicks, I have been searching about this problem, and must agree with the most recent post on the following thread, as of the time of my posting here:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/54564?start=30&tstart=5

<body><p> </p>

<pre jivemacro="quote"><p>apotheosis415 wrote:</p><p> </p><p>The simple fix is to add focus control. AF, F lock, infinte. done and done. Then I can shut up and be happy.</p></pre>

<p> </p></body>

Although the Electrify, in my case, appears locked on "infinite" focus (close up objects are out of focus, but anything past a couple feet is clear), the problem still appears related somewhat.  I agree that a great solution would be to simply add the options noted by "apotheosis" - this would at least override the apparently glitchy automatic setting(s).  To force a setting would at least be a nice thing to have.  Is there any way a replacement app could simply be made available with these options, at least as an intermediate solution?